• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Build your own PDP 8I, book

By the way Dave, what do You Teach or are you one of students who sit ??

THANK YOU Marty

I teach what I did as a job for 10 years, its call "Network Administration", but its basically how to set up and manage Windows 2008 servers, Windows Clients and the networking infrastructure to allow them to interwork. In practice its more labs than teaching. So generally each topic has 30-45 minutes of lecture, and 75 - 90 minutes of practical work.

Syllabus
• Introduction
• Authentication
o Peer-to-peer networking versus centralised authentication (Directory services)
o Users & groups, user & group properties

• Controlling Resource Access
o Files, folders, printers (local and remote)

• Providing Network services
o DNS, DHCP, Telnet, FTP, SMTP/MIME, HTTP

• Network management
o Disc management
o Disaster recovery (fault tolerance, backup)
o Monitoring the network
o Security (NAT, Firewalls)

• Scripting
o Windows command line/PowerShell & Script Host
o Unix scripting

Dave

I haven't as only my second edition has arrived. However based on what I have read, the second edition is the one to go for. Its the re-writes after they have run the course a few times, it contains the same info about the LD20, a SSI/MSI implementation of the PDP-8 and in addition has a microcoded implementation, the LD30. But note as some one else found out, there are not full circuits or PCB layouts in the book. Its more snippets that you have to join together yourself to build a PDP-8 as some one else found out:-

http://alt.sys.pdp8.narkive.com/0piDxbW0/schematic-for-ld20-pdp-8i

you can actually download the chapter with the core PDP-8 design in here:-

http://www.cs.indiana.edu/classes/b441-sjoh/post/ADD-260-271.pdf

which is part of a course based on the book:-

http://www.cs.indiana.edu/classes/b441-sjoh/

There is a blog here :-

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~trmusson/ld20.html

on some one else building the machine. Try googling PDP-8 and PD20 (The name given to the design in the book) for more information.

Book arrived - yea!

There seemed to be much confusion with internet sites over the first and second edition. I did a search for the 'second edition' - but when I went through to the book itself it seemed to be a bit quiet about whether it was actually the second edition or not.

For those yet to buy - the soft back second edition is ISBN 0-13-046673-5 (so this should uniquely identify it to the bookseller).

I have successfully managed to develop a Java implementation of the PDP-8I MICROCODE as presented in the FORTH paper I referenced a few posts ago. It generates exactly the same hex patterns for the microcode as given in the paper. What I plan to do is to tidy the code up a bit (it looks like the usual plate of spaghetti at the moment) and to document/comment the microcode as presented. This will include where I have found errors and simplifications. I will then post the resulting file for people to see. Now I have my book - I will have a read of the relevant chapters to see how the microcode presented within the FORTH simulator paper can be manipulated and extended as appropriate.

I have roughed out the architecture for my PDP-8/I implementation (on the back of the proverbial envelope) - and it is nice to see that what I had sketched out is not 10 million miles away from what is presented in the book (SN74LS181 ALU etc.).

Dave

Hi All;
Dave, I would love to see the Envelope..

"" I have successfully managed to develop a Java implementation of the PDP-8I MICROCODE as presented in the FORTH paper I referenced a few posts ago. It generates exactly the same hex patterns for the microcode as given in the paper. What I plan to do is to tidy the code up a bit (it looks like the usual plate of spaghetti at the moment) and to document/comment the microcode as presented. This will include where I have found errors and simplifications. I will then post the resulting file for people to see. Now I have my book - I will have a read of the relevant chapters to see how the microcode presented within the FORTH simulator paper can be manipulated and extended as appropriate. ""

Will, this microcode, simulate the LD30 microcode, or either the LD20 or the LD30, under the hood ??
Will this help me Evaluate my circuits or help me see if my circuits and it put out the same thing ??
I am not really familiar with Java, except for what I drink in the morning.. It would be interesting to see Your plate of spaghetti (so save it) and how to turn it into something less stringy.. Such as How You did this in the first place.. I would have even less of an Idea of how to do what your doing than I am having to design the circuits..

THANK YOU Marty

Book arrived - yea!

There seemed to be much confusion with internet sites over the first and second edition. I did a search for the 'second edition' - but when I went through to the book itself it seemed to be a bit quiet about whether it was actually the second edition or not.

Dave

The second edition has a whole section at the start explaining how it has changed...

I used Google to track down a copy of the 2nd edition - which it did admirably. However, when I went onto various sites to buy the book, the description of the book (when I came to add it to my shopping basket) did not specifically mention the 2nd edition. This made me a bit suspicious of what would actually arrive when I ordered it. To make sure I was delivered a 2nd edition - I telephoned the supplier and got them to double and triple check that it was a 2nd edition that they were going to deliver. Since I now have a copy of the second edition - I thought I would post the ISBN number to anyone else thinking of buying just to make sure that the site they were buying from specifically identified the correct ISBN number and the correct thing should be delivered to them.

I have now developed a MICROCODE assembler and very noddy PDP-8/I test program to check the assembled MICROCODE. It correctly builds the MICROCODE as described within the paper I have previously identified (http://www.forth.com/archive/jfar/vol3/no3/article1.pdf) with one exception. I have commented my assembler and the presented MICROCODE as far as I want to go. The comments identify a few simplifications and issues that I have come across.

I have a ZIP file available with my Java source and a pre-compiled class file. If anyone would like a copy - please PM me enclosing your e-mail address and I will forward you a copy with pleasure.

I am now going to move on and look at modifying my MICROCODE assembler for use with the LD20/LD30 type of architecture.

Dave

Why don't I just upload the ZIP file?

Why don't I just upload the ZIP file?

Sorry,

Being a bit dumb for a minute - I forgot how to upload ZIP files (I put it down to the hour change!)

Dave

Attachments

• PDP8I_MICROCODE_original.zip
    19 KB · Views: 1
Hi All;

Well, I got my (I think) 1st Edition.. It's ISBN number is -- 0-13-046607-7 and my Second Edition is 0-13-046780-4 ..
My first Edition has 498 Pages and my Second Edition has 525 Pages..
In the book that is a first Edition it is called an LD 15 and LD 16, in the Second Edition it is called an LD 20 and LD 30..
But, both of them have the MSi/SSi (TTL) adaption for the PDP 8i and Both have the MicroProgramed Design..
And in the Second Edition, it tells what sections and Chapters have been updated or changed from the First Edition..
I have not done a page by page comparison.. But the basic Algorithm looks the same between the two.. I was hoping there would be a greater change between the two books..
Another difference is with the Memory, In the first Edition it uses 9102's (2102's) for the Memory and in the Second Edition it uses 6147's (2147's) for memory.. You will need 48 9102's for 4K of memory in the First Edition and 12 6147's to do the same thing in the Second Edition..

THANK YOU Marty

Last edited:
Hi All;
I got from Pbirkel the Diagrams and Listings, and I have been wiring it up.. As well as making a notebook which I have copied the circuit Diagrams and I have converted the Wirelists to actual Logic Diagrams..
I have waited until now, to post anything, so as to not cause Paul any undue trouble from everyone wanting a copy of his Documents..
Maybe, with Paul's permission, which I do NOT have at the present.. If anyone wants a copy I can send them to anyone else who wants them.. But, I would need permission from Paul to do so.. Just an Idea..
Anyway, I have been wiring up on a different Board than my previous pictures, this version and checking for differences between what is in the Wirelist and the Schematic.. Since I sent the information to Paul, I don't have that right off hand, but once I get things all wired up, and the unit working.. I think I can figure out most of them..
Once I have a working unit, I can then scan my NoteBook, and offer it as well, besides Paul's Documents.. But, not before I have a working unit, since at present it could be full of mistakes, mine as well as other mistakes..
So here are some pictures..

001.jpg 002.jpg 001.jpg

002.jpg

In the Top Row of pictures, in the last picture, it shows two Led's.. The left Green one is to show when Power is applied, and the right Yellow one is for the 555 clock signal, after it is buffered..
The bottom picture is a page from my NoteBook of the WireList Logic Diagram, I created from the WireList..
THANK YOU Marty

Last edited:
Hi All;
I got a fair amount of wiring done today, between having other things to do and take care of..
My only concern is whether I have enough of the long wire to make it the next couple of days..
I know that I will need to buy more wire, hopefully I will be able to in a day or two, between other running around..
Once I get it wired, and a Front Panel wired up, then comes the Hard Part, making it work..

THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
M-Thompson, Thank You for the helpful hint.. I have a fair amount of debugging experience, and it's one thing to do it along with help from the internet, and another like where You sometimes have is someone sitting or standing besides You.. Watching Your every move and offering suggestions and Helpful hints, based on what You both are seeing..
But, I do have some things that are of much Help to me, that others might not have in another board, One is everything is socketed, and so I can pull up Ic's or individual pins to help locate problems.. I can check and change Ic's, to see if something is bad.. I can check my wiring and change it if necessary..
The Schematics are arranged in single page sections, so I can get sections going before I try to get the whole thing going all at once.. And one section does not have to be there to check out another section.. And I can put in plenty More Led's than it already has if it would be needed..
But, maybe I will be fortunate and it will come up with out much trouble..

THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
I just stopped by J. B. Saunders, my local Electronics supply and I got three rolls of Wire-wrap wire.. So I am good to go for a little while..
It is cheaper for me to go there and get it, than to get it from one of the supply houses add shipping to the price and wait a week to week and a half for it to arrive.. The store is right here in town..
Now to continue some wiring..

THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
I had written something last night, but, I must have been so tired, that, even though I thought I had saved it, I must have not saved it..
Anyway, I had wired rows L and J before yesterday.. And Yesterday after I got the wire, I finished wiring rows M and K and about 3/4 of row E, today I finished row E and have started on row G.. I have rows H and F to do after row G is finished..
Then the front console will need to be wired and the Led Drivers will need to be wired as well, when I wire the Led's of the console..
So, there is abit to do as of yet before it is finished.. But, it is winding down..
Here is another fuzzy picture..

001.jpg

THANK YOU Marty

Last edited:
I don't know, Marty may be faster than the GD wire wrap machine! He seems to make pretty fast progress!

I received my second edition about two weeks ago. I have given it all a skim once and dove a bit deeper in a few sections. It is very well written. I liked the microcode section. My first introduction to microcoded machines was my repair effort on the RX02, which uses the AMD2911 microsequencer.

I intend to spend a little more effort on this in the coming weeks. Lately I have been preparing for VCFeX!

Lou

Hi All;
M-Thompson, Thank You for Your comment, but to me it sounds like the chicken and the egg thing, I need a PDP 8i to run the Gardner-Denver Wire-Wrap machines, but I need the Gardner-Denver Wire-Wrap machines to build the PDP 8i..
Lou, Thank You for you comments, at present I am not into the Microcoded part of the machines, which were in both Editions..
And "" Marty may be faster than the GD wire wrap machine! He seems to make pretty fast progress! "" Thank You for the kind words.. I have finished wrapping row G and am working on row H, then I need to work thru row F and then that will be it on the main Board..

THANK YOU Marty

Back