• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Compaq Portable with Miniscribe hard drive. Boots up. eBay. SF Bay Area pickup only.

That is a good price. The keys not working is a common problem with old Compaq keyboards. There are little foam pads inside the keys that degrade and need to be replaced. It's a tedious but simple process, and repair kits are available.

I would have thought the "Tell me what we are doing wrong" is the collection-only part, since a lot of people would snap that up for that price, but they may not be local!

However I completely understand the reasons for not wanting to offer shipping :)

As far as the Enter key not working.... have you tried the Alt + 013 combination? To do this press and *hold* the Alt key then 0-1-3 must be pressed and released successively on the Numerical Keypad. This combination will simulate a Carriage Return and act as the Enter key does. There are Alt + nnn combinations for every key on the keyboard and then there are plenty more (over one hundred more) for characters that don't even exist on the keyboard, e.g., Ω, ÷, Æ, ¥, ₧, ½, √, etc. :)

As far as the Enter key not working.... have you tried the Alt + 013 combination? To do this press and *hold* the Alt key then 0-1-3 must be pressed and released successively on the Numerical Keypad. This combination will simulate a Carriage Return and act as the Enter key does. There are Alt + nnn combinations for every key on the keyboard and then there are plenty more (over one hundred more) for characters that don't even exist on the keyboard, e.g., Ω, ÷, Æ, ¥, ₧, ½, √, etc. :)

Ctrl-M will also work as a substitute for the Enter key at the DOS prompt. :)

The boss keeps my nose to the grindstone. No time for fun with ASCII. ;).

Besides, the collector bug might be catching if I have too much fun playing with the stuff I'm trying to get out the door :eek:

eBay being the way it is, sometimes less testing is better than more. That's why we like to sell local on large heavy vintage stuff. There's nothing like shipping 50 pounds of mystery metal only to hear back that we did not tell the buyer that the third splodget capacitor left of the whinget busker looks a little puffy, and can you refund half my money because the item is NAD -- not as described? With the lighter stuff we can just tell buyers like that to ship it back for a refund if they are not happy.

I must say it has been a real pleasure meeting the buyers that have been able to drop in during the week. It's a nice break to deal with analog customers. :D

Back