• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Model 4 turns on, then doesn't

Pictures of the cleaned insides:

Before and after...

DSCF1107.jpgDSCF1110.jpgDSCF1111.jpg

Cleaned the top case as well and forgot to take a 'before' photo but you can imagine what it was like...

DSCF4426.jpg

Normally I wouldn't bother removing the CRT but since the video board was already out it was only 4 nuts to remove the CRT.

How long ago did you buy this computer from me PJH?

Cheers,

Ian.

Pictures of the cleaned insides:

Before and after...

How long ago did you buy this computer from me PJH?

Ian.

I was just re-filing the emails yesterday . . . April 2001. Prior to May this year, it would have last been powered up around 2008-9.

As I said in emails, of the 4+1 vintage computers I have (Mod I, Mod IV, Apple ][e, Apple //c, + //gs I got cheap not working & still not working), the Mod IV was the one located where it should have been least affected by mice. Instead it was worst hit. Second worst was the ][e (hey, maybe the half chewed through keyboard cable explains why most of the keys don't work). The Model I, esp the EI, and monitor, would have been the one I expected to get trashed by mice, and it got barely touched.

This weekend's work on the Model 4 - it's almost back together:

DSCF4427.jpgDSCF4428.jpgDSCF4429.jpgDSCF4430.jpg

Good used disk drive and FDC fitted. New white interconnect cables ready for the motherboard to be connected.

Discuss.

Ian.

Last edited:
Like new from the factory! Nice.

You should put a little plaque inside these machines "Rebuilt in Austrailia by Mav 2015".

Hey Ian, you gotta be a HARDCORE technician, running that CRT with no chassis to support it...!

Nice clean keyboard, lovely white keys. Looks in cracking condition.

Internal damage aside, this machine was stored in a dark place from 2001 until recently so the sun hasn't had the chance to yellow its keys - they arrived like this.

On other machines with yellowed keys I have put them in a jar of household bleach for up to a week which does a decent job of making them white again - don't leave them in bleach too long otherwise the symbols on the keys will start to fade.

Re. running the system with an unmounted CRT... yep, I'm that good :)

Cheers,

Ian.

I thought I was brave leaving the half with the CRT mounted next to the Model 4 or Tandy 6000 and running it. You sir are that good! I bow to thee!

Back