• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Seen on ebya: New C64 cases!

I'd rather see a 'breadbin' case, which of course could be made for not only the C64, but the VIC 20 and C16, and wouldn't it be fun to put a homebrew 6502 machine in there.

But, it might make less sense to produce them than the C64C case, because any board that fits in a C64 case fits in the C64C case, but not the other way round.

It was possible at one time to buy empty C64C cases just to put old '64s in. Mainly because the new case had better cooling.

There was a company in Australia who made/sold own casings that resembled the C64C case, but was not identical. There may have been other sources for cases as well.

Although on the outside the VIC, C64 and C16 cases may look the same, the orientation of ports needs to be fixed up. Also there are very small differences in size and height between different batches of the breadbox cases, generally insignificant enough to not interfer for a new case manufacture.

Some company should start making reproduction C64 Games System cases, so then people could turn their ordinary C64 into a "very rare and valuable" C64GS. :)

What strikes me is how unusual to see even homemade mods involving separating the keyboard from the motherboard, making a "SK" model. The only one I can recall seeing was a VIC-20 in parts, once remade to take the keyboard separately.

I did that to an Apple ][e about 20 years ago. I'm still trying to piece that one back together.

Well, those C64C cases could be produced because the original moulds were found. It won't be as easy to produce C64 cases unless the moulds for those are recovered as well. That seems unlikely. It was quite a stroke of luck that the right person was at the right place at the right time for the C64C moulds.

-Tor

Or it could be 3D printed.

Well, those C64C cases could be produced because the original moulds were found. It won't be as easy to produce C64 cases unless the moulds for those are recovered as well. That seems unlikely. It was quite a stroke of luck that the right person was at the right place at the right time for the C64C moulds.

-Tor

I think he just meant it could be done.

3D printing only makes sense cost-wise in very small quantities, I think.

Fair enough. I'd argue the result would be pretty unsatisfactory, though, at least with current equipment.

I have a set of these cases from the Kickstarter and they're pretty nice, actually. However, my 64C sits in a box because the 128 is a far nicer Commodore 8-bit to work with.

I have used my 128 very little in the past 20 years. It sat on a shelf in my garage up until about 3 years ago. Now it sits on a shelf in my basement. I know the C64 like the back of my hand (maybe better), so I tend to GO64 right away every time, which still doesn't leave me with a real '64.

I found a lot of respect for it lately though running CP/M on it. (and being able to seamlessly use 1541 disks written on my wife's A2000, native 1571 CP/M disks, and Kaypro disks!)

I use my B128 more than anything else lately. It's the machine I always wanted: It's like the Apple /// of Commodores.

Back