• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

EEVblog #788 - Apple IIC Teardown

Something that might make this one interesting to non-Apple people, several minutes are spend examining and cleaning the floppy drive after demonstrating how a dirty head prevents proper operation.

Why is it that Dave never gets the stuff that's full of mouse feces or dead cockroaches or something that the cat thought made a great sandbox?

That would be educational.

What's stopping you from sending him one? :)

(I loved his PowerMac G5 teardown. He was never an Apple guy, but they way he gushes over the design and quality of the hardware, you'd think he's a fanboy like a lot of us.)

Ship it with a live chicken inside it (you can legally ship poultry, ya know.)

... scratch that. Just ship him a chicken for use with a teardown Tuesday. :lol:

(I loved his PowerMac G5 teardown. He was never an Apple guy, but they way he gushes over the design and quality of the hardware, you'd think he's a fanboy like a lot of us.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl0e6PF5y5g

Yeah, that one makes you really wonder about paying a premium for beautiful aesthetic design when you know going in that it might not be too long before it ends up in the obsolete dumpster.

Well, the G5 was sort of an exception. It was right before they switched to Intel, so it was a dead-end machine. If you bought at least a 2nd Gen MacPro with the nearly identical case, you're probably still rockin' that machine. Easily upgradable. Unfortunately for early adopters and the shit bucket that is EFI, 1st Gen MacPros are door stops, too.

Wow. I tried, I genuinely *tried* to sit through the IIc teardown, but... the pain. I'm sure Dave is a nice guy but I don't think I can take a half hour straight.

Having *scanned* it, though, I guess the real takeaway from it is if you really needed to try to give someone a concrete reason why a IIc was "worth" $1,295 while the street price of a similarly powerful C64+1541 was somewhere around the $350 I guess you could point to build quality as a factor. It is certainly a fair stretch from the typical "TV Computer" of the era, which were often little more than circuit boards stuffed into flimsy plastic clamshells, certainly won't argue otherwise. But it's also not exactly an apples to oranges comparison. For example, the PCjr at a similar price point was pretty decently put together as well, most of its problems involved bafflingly wrongheaded design decisions.

Last edited:
Back