• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hyundai SUPER-16TE xt clone: manual or keyboard shortcuts?

keropi

Experienced Member
Hiya!

I recently got a 10mhz XT clone, a HYUNDAI "Pony" that is based on the SUPER-16TE motherboard:

I began restoring it and cleaning up after battery acid... some parts like the DB25 ports and a couple of sockets need replacing but other than that the machine works.
Now this machine boots at 10mhz , the classic ctrl+atl+minus/plus "speed shortcut" does not work with it, anyone knows if this board supports 4,77mhz speed? There is no turbo button and all I could find in terms of settings are the configuration jumper ones here: https://th99.bl4ckb0x.de/m/E-H/30644.htm

I can also post a dump of the BIOS if that helps.Any info/tips on the matter will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance :)

I used to own a Super 16V and a friend back then a Super 16TE (not "Pony", I have no clue what this is. It had the full model clearly printed on the chassis, case was identical apart from this)
Both came with the same set of 5 1/4 DD "System" floppies (DOS 3.3, GWBASIC, a Utilities and ATI small wonder disk). The Utilities disk contained a TURBO.COM utility (also documented in the manual) that could be used to switch turbo mode by adding an ON/OFF parameter.

BUT, I'm 100% certain that speed was also switchable by using the classic alt+ctrl+plus/minus combination for both PC's. We were using it to better play Hard Hat Mack, which was already too fast at 10MHz. I'm not sure though if the motherboard of yours is exactly the same, although in theory it should.

Silly comment: on my Super 16V the speed isn't switchable with both the left and the right alt+ctrl, only one set of those works (don't remember which). Just to rule out this possibility, I guess you've tried both, right?

btw if anyone still has these floppies I'd be really grateful if he could share some images/physical media scans (at least of the utilities + ATI's disk if there are copyright issues for the rest -they didn't have any change from MS's release anyway)

@konc
the serial number sticker states that it's model "Super 16TE" , I only tested the left side alt/ctrl so I'll give a go with the right side ones - I hope it works. I don't have any of the original disks or manuals or turbo.com ... I hope we find the disks!

@Scali
I don't know if it's a "joke" by the previous owner, the "PONY" label is not a home-made one and it fits exactly in it's place. I'ts actually a plastic piece with printed letters. The Hyundai sticker on the other hand is just a sticker (that needs replacing too) , this pc was used in some school judging from the floppies it came with. Unless you mean it's Hyundai's joke :D

At the moment I stopped working on this, struggling to get the XTIDE working on the acer system... :p

Last edited:
An original advertisement can be found here
I was curious about the Pony label so started googling :p Can't really see in the advert though.

At the moment I stopped working on this, struggling to get the XTIDE working on the acer system... :p
Just to cover all possibilities... have you tried the XTIDE in another system. It's not impossible that the Acer itself could be causing a problem. The XTIDE should work in almost anything. I used it for a while in my 486DX2 and it worked fine.

@SpidersWeb

Maybe "PONY" is a regional thing - maybe really really regional like only available to Greece. It wouldn't surprise me if they changed labels to import cheaper or maybe the dealer changed and they needed a new name or something. I'll post a pic of the serials/model number tomorrow - that is located at the back of the case , I bet it's a stock Hyundai label and this is a rebrand for some unknown reason to us.

@Stone
really, the ACER 500+ is the only system I tried the XTIDE card... I'll check tomorrow with a 80pin IDE cable as I was advised, I am using 40pin ones atm. I have a thread over at VOGONS about the Acer system if anyone wants to check it out, I got a complete system in great shape! http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=44464

... I'll check tomorrow with a 80pin IDE cable as I was advised, I am using 40pin ones atm.
Are you even using any devices that 'recommend' the use of an 80 pin cable? You probably aren't and based on that I don't believe an 80 pin cable will make any difference. But my eyes and ears are open. :) I've been a bit skeptical about this 80 pin construction (and its true merits) for a while.

I don't think the "Pony" sticker is homemade or a fake, from the font, layout, size and orientation it just seems to be too professional.

I'd try the CTRL+Alt+Minus trick with a US keyboard if you have one, sometimes these keyboard shortcuts don't work on other language layouts.

Are you even using any devices that 'recommend' the use of an 80 pin cable? You probably aren't and based on that I don't believe an 80 pin cable will make any difference. But my eyes and ears are open. :) I've been a bit skeptical about this 80 pin construction (and its true merits) for a while.

I can't give you chapter and verse because this happened at least 10 years ago on my then middle school son's desktop. But we were replacing the original ailing Seagate hard drive in a HP Pavilion with a bigger faster WD drive. I was focused on getting his machine back up and just hooked the new drive to the existing 40 conductor IDE cable that went to the motherboard. The new drive refused to format without throwing tons of errors. So I took it back to the store and exchanged it. The second drive did the exact thing. Now since we had started off with a "sick drive" to begin with I began to suspect the cable of being the problem. So since it was handy I swapped in the cable that had come with the new drive and everything came up the way it should have. Thinking I had found that the original cable had gone defective I put the original drive back in with the new cable and it acted as flaky as it had originally. So, more to the problem than a bad cable. Then I took a good look at the new cable and noticed it had 80 conductors instead of 40. Apparently this is the difference between a DMA/33 cable and a DMA/66 cable.

Not 80 pin cable but 40 pin cable with 80 twisted strands. IIRC it first appeared with the advent of the ATA-33 convention. You will have errors on a newer ATA HD if you don't use the 80 strand cable. Come to think of it, the pin arrangement is slightly different for the ATA IDE drives and pin 31 is blocked out.

Last edited:
Changing between 40/80 ide cables did nothing to help with my XTIDE problem, the solution was to use another IDE address (3C0) and now all seem to work OK.
Back on the subject, here is the label at the back of the machine:

jS3PCjf.jpg

Hum, that Pony label looks to be original.
It almost seems as if 'Pony' was the brand, not the model.
The Hyundai-sticker on the front seems unoriginal.

Perhaps the Pony branding was a local thing? Or some kind of budget-brand?

^ I guess it was a rebrand for some reason that made sense locally back in the 80s...

After doing some repair work today (replaced both serial and printer ports) I fired up the machine again. CTRL+ALT+minus (or plus) did not change speeds for me. I only have an Acer XT pictured below, it only has left-side ctrl/alt keys (it's a standard XT keyboard AFAIK). I have no idea what the original keyboard of the machine looked like.

Back