• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Sun Sparc station questions

Hello Folks,

Well I now have my SparcStation 2 with only 36mb of ram, but I have Solaris 2.5.1 installed and running.
It's probably not very well set up as far as disk partitioning goes, but it does run and I can log in as Root Admin and run commands for different things.
I must admit that I've never really tried Linux/Unix, especially from a command line.
I am using a PC running a terminal emulator as a VT-100 as the client, so no nice GUI at the minute. I will be trying to get some adaptors to get PC hardware to work with the SparcStation.
So, I am currently browsing for free software that will work on 2.5.1. and text based only !!
Any good suggestions please ?

Alan.

Sunfreeware haven't offered free software for a couple of years, they want you to migrate to their paid service at unixpackages.com.

Several of their old mirror FTP sites are still around, albeit with software that's a couple of years old. For those running Solaris 8 and up, there's also the option of www.opencsw.org.

Last edited:
Wow. That really stinks.

I hope Aminet never goes that way!

Guess I don't miss all my Sparcstations so much after all.

Wow. That really stinks.

Oh man, don't get me started! ;)

I don't know the whole story, but I believe it had something to do with SFW losing a major financial backer.

]I hope Aminet never goes that way!

Guess I don't miss all my Sparcstations so much after all.

I'd just finished upgrading my Sparc IPX before SFW changed business models. Was a lot less work than building everything from source. If its HD dies, I don't know that I'd bother rebuilding.

If Aminet went to a paid subscription service, I suspect there'd be an angry mob of Amigans (myself included) gathering with torches and pitchforks. (Not to sound entitled)

If Aminet went to a paid subscription service, I suspect there'd be an angry mob of Amigans (myself included) gathering with torches and pitchforks. (Not to sound entitled)

I didn't see you at the rally when they started allowing AROS software. :D

We're not entitled, we're just so used to everything working so much better than everyone else. :cool:

I must admit that I've never really tried Linux/Unix, especially from a command line.

Sadly, from a beginner's standpoint you might be happier with running NetBSD on that SparcStation unless you really want to keep it original. The integrated and decently documented "pkgsrc tree" method of installing software from source (and the availability of pre-built packages from netbsd.org mirrors) is probably significantly more accessible to a beginner than Solaris.

Back