• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Toshiba CD drive faceplate compatibility

Chuck(G)

25k Member
I've got a Toshiba Infinia desktop system here (Intel AN430TX mobo P1 266) that uses a Toshiba XM-5102B IDE CDROM drive that works, but not with all OS. In particular, neither Debian nor NetBSD can see it, although Windows98SE does just fine. Other CD drives work perfectly.

I get no hints off the web about why the BSD/Linux drivers don't see it.

So, I was thinking that it'd be simplest to replace the drive with another one. The gotcha is that the Toshiba unit doesn't have a faceplate and replaces the drawer faceplate with one tailored to the case. So the replacement has to be a Toshiba.

I can see a lot Samsung-Toshiba DVD+CD drives going pretty cheap and it would be nice to have a DVD drive on this system. However, I can't determine if a Toshiba XM-type drawer face will fit on a ST drive.

Does anyone have any clues?

I can't seem to find the drive using google (looking for a picture of the front). You probably need to find another XM drive for the faceplate to fit.

As far as seeing the drive are you talking about a working OS seeing the drive (with the correct drivers installed) or do you mean just booting an OS CD?

Booting is no problem at all. But when Debian or NetBSD loads, no drive is found at all. Plug a different drive in and things are fine. Windows 9x and DOS have no problems with it.

I've got an XM-6102B in my stash, but it's suffering from terminal plastic gears syndrome. While it was working, it had no problems either.

Lol. In general Linux certainly supports more hardware than Windows 9x. It is very strange that a straight ATAPI CD-ROM drive doesn't work though. Possibly something related to PIO vs DMA modes?

Back