• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

AMD K6-2 350 Buiild issue & question

Rodoko

Good day everyone, I'm new in this forum :3
I love vintage computers so I decided to build my first vintage computer with some used parts, some I had and another ones that I needed to buy and the result is a AMD K6- 2 @350 MHz based machine with 64 MB of DIMM PC133 memory and a 40 GB HDD (I will post pics when I get home)

The issue that the computer has as of today is that the PS/2 mouse port in some cases makes the mouse go like crazy when I'm moving it and inside makes a random noise and I think that's something shorting out or is coming from the speaker, I have no idea of this u.u

The other minor issue I have is this

The case came with a MHz LED indicator but when I did open the case to connect the front panel connectors including the indicator I found out that the wires that connect it to the mainboard sadly were cut, so I was thinking of cut the vinyl from the wire and placing it to a connector housing that goes to the front panel pins but I don't know how to do this
I need some help from you guys :3 Every help will be appreciated (Step by step would be great)

The specs from the machine are

AMD K6-2 @350 MHz
64 MB RAM DIMM PC-133
Diamond Micronics C200 motherboard (a.k.a. BCM VP1541) with a ALi Aladdin V chipset
40 GB WD HDD (The motherboard needed a BIOS update to make it work)
Sound Blaster Live Value CT4830
Trident PCI video card with VESA mode support

Some pics (sorry for the quality they were taken with my tablet)

Front
14289394678751285424818.jpg

Back
1428939558567559806316.jpg

The inside of the machine
1428939814767-1252461977.jpg

The cutted out wire that goes to the MHz indicator
1428939914220-1932808869.jpg

Last edited:
The red-black wire pair is almost certainly the +5 power supply leads that power the indicator. (black-ground, red=+5). The usual practice was to use a short Molex "straight-through" cable with the indicator power leads attached to one of the connectors also with the "straight through" wires (sort of a wiring "tee"), so that the indicator didn't rob you of any valuable disk drive power leads.

Got it working, I just stripped off the protection from the wire and since I do have a Molex to DC barrel adapter to power the speakers using 12v I just connected the +5V and GND to the Molex with the help of that connector
The display works but instead of saying the speed says | - | does mean that is burned??

Uhm... what the devil is that white two wire cable that looks like it has phono-jacks on it being plugged into the molex for? Much less that it doesn't look like that's an actual 1/8th inch jack, but that someone has wired in and forced the plug into a piezo buzzer?

I would disconnect EVERYTHING internally, and slowly add things one at a time until it fails; I would also get rid of whatever jacktarded nonsense that white cable is doing dragging internal power out of the case.

Also, strange motherboard; can't say I've ever seen a K6-2 that was ATX or ATX style... All of them I ever dealt with were AT... that giant 8 prong power connector (I assume) next to the battery is equally bizarre.

-- edit -- also given the re-re placement of the CPU on that board, be sure the fan can spin freely and isn't being held up by the PSU wires and all the other crap running around it. That bugger is JUST new enough that no CPU fan, no power up.

Got it working, I just stripped off the protection from the wire and since I do have a Molex to DC barrel adapter to power the speakers using 12v I just connected the +5V and GND to the Molex with the help of that connector
The display works but instead of saying the speed says | - | does mean that is burned??

Not necessarily--you should see a row of pins on the back of the little display board that are jumpered to create various displays. Note that the board doesn't actually measure the speed; it merely switches between two preprogrammed displays. Long ago, I gave up on making my displays read in frequency terms--since these are just 7-segment displays, I jumpered mine to display "LO" and "HI".

I suspect that shunts have been "scavenged" by a previous owner.

Uhm... what the devil is that white two wire cable that looks like it has phono-jacks on it being plugged into the molex for? Much less that it doesn't look like that's an actual 1/8th inch jack, but that someone has wired in and forced the plug into a piezo buzzer?

I would disconnect EVERYTHING internally, and slowly add things one at a time until it fails; I would also get rid of whatever jacktarded nonsense that white cable is doing dragging internal power out of the case.
I've seen this a lot. They're just pulling 12v out to power the speakers. Nothing jacktarded about it.

that giant 8 prong power connector (I assume) next to the battery is equally bizarre.
That is a heat sink. Probably attached to a voltage regulator. You can see it better at: http://www.recycledgoods.com/diamond-micronics-c200-socket-7-system-board-09-00353-01.html

Also, strange motherboard; can't say I've ever seen a K6-2 that was ATX or ATX style... All of them I ever dealt with were AT

I have a couple of ASUS P5As as well. ATX SS7 boards aren't that uncommon. Thanks to some BIOS hacking, mine even understand SATA drives using the VIA PCI SATA board.

About the motherboard itself, I think that is one of the first ATX type boards because AT form factor was starting to go out since 1997/98 when ATX came out
The good thing about the motherboard is that has a Socket 7, meaning that I can swap the K6 to a P233 MMX if I want to
Yesterday I replaced the CD ROM drive with an older one and now is a 90's computer coz the board and soundcard are from 1998, the CD ROM drive is from 1997 and the Twinhead serial mouse (Made by Logitech, I'm using it coz the PS/2 port of the mouse has issues) is from 1992/93 and the videocard is from 1994
The only things that are newer are the HDD which is from 2003 and the keyboard which I bought last year for other computers and testing

Recently I took a photo of the MHz display showing the jumpers and looking at it I guess that is not setted up correctly (Which is why is showing | - | instead of numbers)
Anyone in here has a table to configure it to show a number or letter?? The help would be appreciated :3

IMG_20150416_172927849[1].jpg

There were many different makers of those displays. It looks like you will have to do some trial and error setting of the jumpers to see what you can get.

can't say I've ever seen a K6-2 that was ATX or ATX style

There were a lot of SS7 ATX boards built. I still have my Epox EP-MVP3G2. I like the VIA chipsets way more than I like the ALI chipsets. My Epox started out with an AMD K6-III 400 but it now has a K6-II 550 which will overclock to 600mhz. After one of the bios updates the 2x multiplier became a 6x multiplier when set to 100mhz. It is one of my favorite boards, even though it doesn't support more than 384mb of ram and only the first 256mb of ram is cached. The ALI chiipsets usually will allow up to 768mb of ram but only the first 128mb of ram is cached. This was the first computer that I built from the ground up with all new parts. It was originally built to play Halflife by Valve.

After almost 1 year of figuring the problem out (I'm a dork oh god) this MB is working like a charm, the mouse problem was a standoff making short with the board itself so welcome back PS/2 mice and bye bye serial :3

And as of now the computer has this parts installed:

Seagate 6.1 GB HDD
Same Trident video card
256 MB RAM instead of 64

Back