• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Retro computer repair lab - almost done

piksar

Experienced Member
My retro computer workshop almost done.

DSCF3757.jpg

DSCF3760.jpg

Idea is to have small good collection with all devices easy accessible and in working condition.
Anybody coming to my flat can use and play - so I'm not storing anything in the garage (boxed).

Full collection can be seen at link below :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_N2a3GJGXrLUXRhNDBMNFh1dnM/view?usp=sharing

As I just started collecting - still not so big collection.

Any comments welcome.

Well, comment number one is the cupboards are looking very cool indeed. I like the "museum" display lights. Those shelves, I assume they slide out on runners? Are they sized specifically for the items they're holding? It looks like it - but what happens when your collection changes? Also, where do you store the accessories that go with the machines (cables, power supplies, manuals, etc)? I have mine in labelled plastic boxes; the idea was that I'd take a computer off the shelf and the accessory box and connect it all together on the desk, play, then put it away.

Sadly it didn't turn out that way. There are so many computers here I barely have room to move! :D

The shelf that stores my machines is not deep enough, really. And since putting it in, I have bought several machines that don't fit at all (ones with inbuilt screens, mostly). So I am looking for something similar to what you have done and it's nice to see how it pans out.

Cheers
JonB

Edit: Just had a look at the link. Lovely photos and the computers look to be in great condition. Nice!

Last edited:
JonB,

Thank you for your feedback.
Just some more details, maybe somebody find this useful.
Furniture is based on IKEA Pax system, I can change any shelve, level, size - nothing permanent
See some more detailed photos of slide system, and place where to keep cables or cartridges

DSCF3766.jpgDSCF3767.jpgDSCF3768.jpgDSCF3769.jpgDSCF3770.jpg

Wow! That looks amazing! Nice 19'' rack punched tape reader. Love the shelving system too!

-I have the same soldering station as you, I'd recommend getting a replacement, the tip isn't very good and none of the two I've owned has lived more than a couple of years. Still use mine, though.

--Christoffer

I can tell you're still putting it all together...it's all way too neat. ;-) Though perhaps you are one of those neat people...I am decidedly not, much to my wife's chagrin... :)

Looks awesome! Wish I had a place like that to work! Perhaps way in the future when the kids have moved out...though truth be known, I do have some space, but too much junk...err...stuff...in it!

Wesley

Wesley,

just to be sure what "neat" means I double checked in google translator :) For sure I'm not "one of the neat people" - my wife is not me :)
I'm a kind of angel of mess - when coming back home from business trip you can easily see that "head of the house" came back, somehow mess is following me.
But for the computer collection I'm fighting with myself to keep at least good order :)
Just few days before my second son came to the world - so I'm thinking how to protect stuff for coming years - electric fence is one of the options :)

Excellent work on the shelves and lighting!

I always considered tightly packed shelves to be a pain to work with, but yours look very convenient. I'll keep that in mind if I start to run out of space :)

Can you use the paper tape reader as it is?

Small update

Added Bulgarian tape drive, unluckily right tape roll is missing
Would buy if somebody is willing to sell, internal diameter 100mm

image.jpg
image.jpg

True, and so it the Mera 7953N.
It would be nice to see these terminals restored to working order and connected to some modern machine running Linux.

If there's 5 volts available (or you could add a regulator), you could mount a Raspberry PI inside, and have a wireless terminal running Linux. :)

I picked up a Link MC5 terminal to do just this with, as I have a Raspberry PI B (first series) board that is collecting dust.

excellent looking setup. Agree with others the shelves and lightening looks amazing.

Wish I could afford the shelving, but house renovations are consuming my small monthly cash flow.

I am making my Computer room/workshop using all second hand or side of the road junk cabinets. 3 of my 19" racks were dragged out of Dump skips, at one of the local Universities.

Well done, I will look back in in future..

BTW have you made a U-tube video of your area ?

Back