• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Can someone wipe a ST-225 clean and install RT-11 on it for me? Happy to pay you $

superbike0

Hi,

Anyone interested in wiping a Seagate ST-225 clean and installing RT-11 on the HD for me, Im located in Northern Connecticut very close to Mass, would prefer someone local but if not I'll ship the drive.

The drive I have "might" be new for an Everest PC, I have no way to test it myself, I will gladly pay you for your time.

Thanks, Brian

Hi, If you are willing to pay for this maybe you should invest in new hardware to replace the ST-225. A SCSI card and a SCSI2SD (SCSI to SD card converter) is the way a lot of people on this forum are going to replace ageing hard drives.

Before someone could do this for you they need to be sure of what disk controller you have. Do you have an RQDX3 controller (DEC M7555 in the 11/53 backplane)? Or something else? MFM drives must be used on a controller with the same on-disk bit patterns as the controller used to format the drive, and there were few standards at the time.

Before someone could do this for you they need to be sure of what disk controller you have. Do you have an RQDX3 controller (DEC M7555 in the 11/53 backplane)? Or something else? MFM drives must be used on a controller with the same on-disk bit patterns as the controller used to format the drive, and there were few standards at the time.

superbike0 would probably need to send the ST-225 disk drive and associated QBUS controller as a package to someone with a capable QBUS system to reformat and install the disk drive as a package. That being said, if 'money is no object' :) then going the QBUS SCSI controller ($200?) and SCSI2SD ($60) adapter route is definitely much more flexible going forward, albeit not quite as retro.

Don

Been following this with some interest with the idea that one day I will get an 11/53 or11/73 system of my own and already have a bunch of bits laying around the shop now. What everyone always makes out as something simple to everyone is often a mystery to me. Like ok, so I have my M-7555 controller but I know from experience that the any card is useless without a device handler file like DL.SYS for the RL drives and DY.SYS for RX Floppy drives. What version of RT-11 do you have to be running to have the driver for the M-7555 card to support both the RX-33 and the old Seagate ST drives? Going to assume that it’s got to be at least RT-11 Ver. 5.6? Also what version of RT-11 is going to allow you to have access to all that fun stuff like SCSI ports and Ethernet ports? I have been working withRT-11 version 3 and 4 and none of that fun stuff is supported.

Ray F

The RQDX controllers are MSCP, which is a media-agnostic way for the controller to present the media to the system. Therefore, you only need a single handler (DU.SYS in this case) to support the wide range of stuff that implements MSCP -- RQDX controllers, various Emulex devices including SCSI, other third party boards, et c. Whether it's a 1+ GB SCSI disk, Magneto-Optical cartridge, MFM drive, or floppy disk, MSCP standardizes the access to the media.

I don't remember off the top of my head when RT-11 started supporting MSCP, I want to say I've seen late (perhaps patched?) 4.x versions running on RQDX subsystems, and certainly 5.x versions before 5.6. IIRC Ethernet support isn't so much an RT-11 feature as it is something you'll "enable" by having software that actually uses your Ethernet interface.

Anyone interested in wiping a Seagate ST-225 clean and installing RT-11 on the HD for me, Im located in Northern Connecticut very close to Mass, would prefer someone local but if not I'll ship the drive.

As others have said, we'll need to know what controller you're using as to whether you'll need to send just the drive or the drive and the controller. I can do it for you if no one local can handle it.

Back