• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

SuperPET Versions

pski

Staff member
I've read that there are multiple versions of the SuperPET that were produced. I know that earlier versions had 3 boards and later versions have a simplified 2 board configuration. One thing I have not been able to find information on are the different switch configurations. There appear to be 2 different switch setups. One had 2 switches and another has 4 switches. Can someone explain this discrepancy, what the #3 and #4 switch functions are and whether the different switch configurations related to the different board configurations? Thanks!

Screen Shot 2016-04-25 at 1.23.32 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2016-04-25 at 1.22.46 PM.jpg

UD11 and UD12 are identified on the standard 8032 main board as "SPARE". These are both ROM sockets (according to the parts list). UD11 is decoded for Axxx with UD12 decoded for 9xxx.

I wonder if these switches are more to do with the 'standard' 8032 PET than the SuperPET?

It looks like the third switch (UD12) added ROM/RAM to the 9xxx socket. But this is where the SuperPET puts its bank switched RAM - so I am not sure what this switch would 'add to the party' for the SuperPET.

It looks like the fourth switch (UD11) can be used to enable or disable the ROM at Axxx.

Dave

The second pair of switches select different options for the 9xxx and Axxx ROM areas and were only used with the old 3-board version; the newer board allowed software control.

Something's wrong with my eyes or something wrong with the forum software or hell froze over.

Welcome back, Mike!

Mike,
Great to have you back. The Commodore Forum has been a little slow since you left. With guys like daver2, KC and others, we will soon be fixing PETs left and right.
-Dave

Thanks for the welcome, guys! Yes, for some reason the powers that be relented; I must confess though that my enforced absence helped me to 'kick the habit' somewhat, so I'll probably be a little less active.

BTW, several of us (mainly Mike Nabereszny, Steve Grey and another person not on the list) have been working on reviving the PEdisk, a little board that lets you use a 'normal' 8" or 5.25" drive on a PET; any interest?

m

Thanks for the welcome, guys! Yes, for some reason the powers that be relented; I must confess though that my enforced absence helped me to 'kick the habit' somewhat, so I'll probably be a little less active.

BTW, several of us (mainly Mike Nabereszny, Steve Grey and another person not on the list) have been working on reviving the PEdisk, a little board that lets you use a 'normal' 8" or 5.25" drive on a PET; any interest?

m

Welcome back Mike! Try to behave this time ;-) Oh, and check your spelling before posting! Two strikes already! LOL

Steve GrAy

m

Interest? Yes, yes, yes!

And like sjgrey said, please don't get kicked out again! We missed you here.

Interest? Yes, yes, yes!

And like sjgrey said, please don't get kicked out again! We missed you here.
Thanks again; I've been taking intensive therapy and hope to be able to learn to control those dreadful outbursts that got me into trouble... ;-)

The PEdisk clone is still very much a WIP; Mike NabereZny got the ball rolling and did a fantastic job reverse-engineering the firm- and soft-ware, while Josh Bensadon and Steve GrAy did a great job creating a PCB from photographs of the original. We're presently waiting for the boards to arrive and start testing.

m

Thanks again; I've been taking intensive therapy and hope to be able to learn to control those dreadful outbursts that got me into trouble... ;-)

The PEdisk clone is still very much a WIP; Mike NabereZny got the ball rolling and did a fantastic job reverse-engineering the firm- and soft-ware, while Josh Bensadon and Steve GrAy did a great job creating a PCB from photographs of the original. We're presently waiting for the boards to arrive and start testing.

m

And MikeS helped spot some wiring mistakes and helped with board mounting options and stuff. Mike also volunteered to solder everyone's boards. Thanks Mike ;-)

Steve

Lol, you were paying attention ;-). Just kidding.

Steve

We'll see when the boards arrive, but knowing how much you love to solder I'd hate to steal your fun; meanwhile I have to find my soldering station first...

Should probably start a new thread when it's a little closer.

m

Back