• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Do you use PUTR?

jackrubin

Veteran Member
Just taking a quick poll - how many people here use John Wilson's PUTR utility? It's a really handy way to work with DEC disk images and physical media, especially for transferring files in and out of images from other sources. I ask because the version currently available only runs on 16/32 bit Windows systems and I'd like to give John an idea of how much interest there would be in a 64-bit and/or linux version of the program.

Thanks,
Jack

Putr

Putr

Jack,
I use PUTR but it is one of the very few utilities I still keep a Windows laptop around for. I would much prefer it on a Linux platform as well. Linux would make it available not only on standard PCs but also Raspberry PIs and other new platforms as well.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Mark Matlock

I use it. Less frequently than I used to I suppose because mostly I have everything I want available via Simh now. However I'd like a W64 version. I use Unix much less often nowadays since retirement except for minor setting up sessions on PIs and the like. My main platforms are Windows 64-bit and I keep a WXP machine available via Remote Desktop for the occasional 16-bit applications that I still need.

A Linux version would be great. Though PUTR is still very useful to me in its current form. I keep an MSDOS machine running for 4 main things: PUTR, ImageDisk, Will's TU58 emulator (and tools) and old EPROM programmers with MSDOS software.

Just taking a quick poll - how many people here use John Wilson's PUTR utility? It's a really handy way to work with DEC disk images and physical media, especially for transferring files in and out of images from other sources. I ask because the version currently available only runs on 16/32 bit Windows systems and I'd like to give John an idea of how much interest there would be in a 64-bit and/or linux version of the program.

I have used it, mainly to make floppies for my DECMates, but not in a while. Mostly because it doesn't run natively in my 64 bit Windows+Cygwin universe. Like most things that require extra setup steps, it tends to get procrastinated, which is too bad, as
that is yet another obstacle to powering up my old machines. So yeah, I'd be excited to see an updated version.

Vince

Yes please! I have to use DOSBox to run it, it would be great to have a modern incarnation.

Yes I use PUTR extensively! It is probably my most important file transfer tool among my machines. I use it for OS/8, RT-11, and XXDP. I use it to read and write RX01, RX50, and RX33 physical media. I very much like that real SCSI disks can be connected and mounted and used in RT-11 format (for example, it is fantastic to use ZIP disks to transfer data from the PC to the 11 running RT-11 and vice-versa.)

Like Mal, I keep a dedicated DOS based system just for PUTR and ImageDisk : http://www.vcfed.org/forum/album.php?albumid=2&attachmentid=2381

Lou

I would appreciate it, I keep an old W98 box kicking just for this purpose, but it's a pain to keep going. I'm stockpiling a few of these guys just to keep this option available.

Tom

I use it occasionally, it's one of the several PDP-11 related utilities that live on the DOS partition of my utility box. A Linux version would be great.

Back