• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandon TM 262 Club Sandwich

Formulator

Experienced Member
Found this inside an acquired 5150 from a deceased IBM executive. I've never seen an drive attached to the controller like this before and it reminded me of a club sandwich. The controller is a WDC BasicTime. It worked a few times, found out the machine was used exclusively for business. It also had Lightning 5.50 and used 80K of conventional RAM to speed up the drive. I liked the sound of this drive.

IMG_0261.jpg
IMG_0316.jpg
IMG_0318.jpg

That is genius. Short enough to slide the drive in the empty space behind a floppy. Probably has all the vibration issues of other hard drives on a card though.

Makes sense for a 5150, with 5 slots. Other "hard cards" sat the drive inline with the controller. Cooling must have been an issue, however.

"Probably has all the vibration issues of other hard drives on a card though."

This drive appears to be on vibration isolating mounts. I'm not that familiar with hard card drives. Did they typically isolate the drive like this one?

The mounts look to be pretty standard for very old 3.5" MFM drives. This thing had to be pretty late in the life of the 5150, however. 3.5" MFM drives came out well into the 5160 timeframe.

Back