• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

RL02 diagnostic Binaries ZRLG and ZRLH

Have you tried toggling in a known compatible RL bootstrap? Also, if you can get a second DL11 in your system (don't remember if there's one in there already) you can load XXDP over simulated TU58 tape and run your CPU and memory tests.

Yes I have toggled in the bootstrap. I have also run XXDPs as tapes via the PDPGUI interface. This has been documented is other threads. Is there a specific XXDP that would apply to my case as described above? I find these XXDPs add new variables, kind of waste time if you're not sure whether they're running/ran correctly. Your then stuck wondering if you have a problem with the process. I am looking for a combination of diagnostics and logic.

If one can load and run BASIC, create complex programs and run them, is that not saying something? I am hoping to target my efforts. I wonder if anyone who has a 11/40 has an RL02 running, and if so what their system configuration is.

I don't know about running XXDP through pdp11gui (never used it), but in general I see XXDP main subsystem tests (CPU, controllers, et c.) as the standard in seeing if your system is working. Loading the XXDP operating system is itself a fair test of the operating condition of your PDP-11. Here's the XXDP programs you probably want to run to test the CPU:

http://www.pdp-11.nl/xxdp-list.html#XXDP 11/40 CPU

There are a number of memory test programs, too, which are far more exhaustive than just loading BASIC. Especially with a discrete CPU like the 11/40, you almost certainly want to exercise the various memory management and trap functions with something more involved than BASIC, which is written to run on a variety of PDP-11 CPUs anyway (not all PDP-11s support the same instructions).

OK, I am game. I will put in another serial card and run the whole enchilada.

I did use PDPGUI to run RAM tests successfully, but I have been basically doing everything one "tape" at a time, pulling XXDP and running them that way. Not always clearly telling me much. I think yes why not take a crack at this using the TU58 emulation approach. Now that I have slots available and two working serial cards, I think this is a good next thing to try.

I may have questions - I will post them here. I have a lot going on in the non-vintage world so I will get to this within the bounds of time.

b

Running RT-11 operating system on my Unibus sucks up the following memory allocations 4 K of IO Memory ending at 160000, the DL driver lives below that just using 487 bytes ending at 156062, RMON just over 4K ending at 133544 and the static memory (BG) 23.2 K so that gives me a total of around 32 K on the system the pack was created on. Think you may be able to generate a system on as small as 8 to 12 K but may have issues if less. Old version of DEC Basic will run on systems as small as 4 K so maybe if you only have limited memory on your system that may be an issue? How much memory do you have on your system? Perhaps one of the smart people can enlighten us on if your system has enough memory and if a system generation for a smaller system may be in order?

I have 16 k word of core starting from 000000. It may be that the disk pack you made for me expects more RAM. Can you change to work on a 16k system if you think this will help? Would it help? Is this something one has to do when they Gen a systrm disk?

Thanks for helping me.

Hi All;

Bill, I just had an Idea, since I am Downloading Unix.. For Eventually putting on my machine, once I get it to work well enough..

How about If You look into Mini-Unix, It will fit in less than 16K of Core and there is a Basic with Unix, even though I don't know If Mini-Unix has Basic..
Regular Unix does..

THANK YOU Marty

How about If You look into Mini-Unix, It will fit in less than 16K of Core and there is a Basic with Unix, even though I don't know If Mini-Unix has Basic..
Regular Unix does..

Perhaps not a bad idea *after* running through XXDP. Most PDP-11 UNIXes require quite a bit of tinkering and may not work with all PDP-11 options.

I have 16 k word of core starting from 000000. It may be that the disk pack you made for me expects more RAM. Can you change to work on a 16k system if you think this will help? Would it help? Is this something one has to do when they Gen a systrm disk?

Thanks for helping me.

RT11 should not require any preconfiguration / sysgen on memory size. The basic RT11SJ monitor will run in very little memory, I believe 16KW is the minimum supported for v5.1. Earlier versions of RT11 (v4, v3, v2) could run in as little as 8KW. Back in the 70s I used an 11/05 with 8KW and an RK05 to run RT11SJ v2C.

Last edited:
Perhaps not a bad idea *after* running through XXDP. Most PDP-11 UNIXes require quite a bit of tinkering and may not work with all PDP-11 options.

Most of the early PDP11 unix versions V5/6/7 have very specific, limited mass storage options. So unless you have a period comparable mass storage device with your PDP11-40 or -45 running these early unix versions will be difficult on real hardware (simh, however, has period compatbile disk support).

2.9bsd is the first version of unix for the PDP11 that had MSCP disk support (as a later patch) so can run with UNIBUS and QBUS SCSI controllers that are MSCP. I also seem to recall that 2.9bsd was the first version that supported the RL01/2 disk controller.

2.11bsd has integrated MSCP support (and ethernet based tcp networking) but it requires a minimum 11/45 compatible (U/S/K modes; separate I/D space) MMU CPU, as the network driver runs in super mode, separate I/D space. It will run on an 11/44, or /45, or /70; not an 11/34 or /40.

Bottom line just getting the CPU running is not sufficient to run a PDP-11 unix; you also need a compatible mass storage system. Unix won't run diskless.

Last edited:
I was actually going to say, I don't think my issue is not having enough ram. If qbus/Ray was able to use my controllers, disk pak, and cables in his system (an 11/34) not being able to boot is probably an issue with my system. I am interested opinions, but I will get to work on the tu58 emulator by adding a 2nd serial card to support a tapedrive and load in xxdp.

Back