• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

RL02 diagnostic Binaries ZRLG and ZRLH

billdeg

Technician
I am looking for the actual program binaries described on
http://www.pdp-11.nl/peripherals/disk/rl-info.html#ctrl diag

".. The RL11 (M7762) UNIBUS interface has two diagnostics.
ZRLG(x) RL11 controller test 1
ZRLH(x) RL11 controller test 2 .."

I looked for the past two days, I was unable to find on my own on bitsavers or other loc using google search, etc.. I *thought* I had them but I can't find where they are. I'd like to use PDPGUI to download and run them so the papertape binary is what I need (I have seen them with extension .ptape, .BIN, BIC).

Currently my 11/40 system loops endlessly when I initiate the drive from the M9312 @ prompt. I am also working through the manual for the RL02.

Thanks in advance.

Bill

Found at lot here, but not ZRLG or ZRLH

http://www.retrocmp.com/tools/pdp-11-diagnostic-database/202-pdp-11-diagnostics-database
http://www.retrocmp.com/images/stories/joerg/pdp11_diagnostic_database///devices/RL02.html

so, I am going to try the maindec-11-dzrla-a-pb1 and maindec-11-dzrla-a-pb2 - and I see that ak-e038b-mc and ak-e039b-mc I think replaced the first two.

UPDATE - found page 2-40 RL01-RL02 user guide to confirm CZRLAAO and CZRLBAO are correct.

"..These diagnostics can be run free-standing under the Diagnostic Supervisor, manually under XXDP,
chainable under XXDP (except CZRLFAO which requires manual intervention), or under manufacturing
checkout environments such as SLIDE or ACT-II.
A new diagnostic package is available to test either an RLOI or an RL02 unit. The kit numbers are
listed in Table 2-6 and the contents of the tests are shown in Table 2-7. ."

RLll Diagnostic Kit Numbers
ZJ283-RB - Documentation and paper tape

AC-FIIIA-MC CZRLGAO Controller Test #1 Documentation
AK-FI08A-MC Paper tape #1
AK-FI09A-MC Paper tape #2

AC-FI15A-MC CZRLHAO Controller Test #2 Documentation
AK-FI12A-MC Paper tape #1
AK-Fl13A-MC Paper tape #2

Last edited:
The ZRL... files you are requesting are all on the XXDP v25 RL02 disk image.

I have copied ZRLG..ZRLN to here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7Csc-dWWfTYcjZSLVZsYW5JbWs for you to access.

Here is a partial directory listing of that drive image:

Code:
Will's Works PDP-11 XXDP Image Viewer  Version: 1.01
image supports 20460 blocks, 203 are pre-allocated
XXDP format, monitor starts at block 170
22 blocks in bitmap 17531 device blocks in use
Attempting dir starting at block 24  LIST ALL
  1:  XXDPXM.SYS   1-MAR-89   39 blocks start  203  end  241
  2:  XXDPSM.SYS   1-MAR-89   29 blocks start  242  end  270
  3:  DRSXM .SYS   1-MAR-89   48 blocks start  271  end  318
  4:  DRSSM .SYS   1-MAR-89   24 blocks start  319  end  342
  5:  DIR   .SYS   1-MAR-89    7 blocks start  343  end  349
  6:  DB    .SYS   1-MAR-89    2 blocks start  350  end  351
  7:  DD    .SYS   1-MAR-89    3 blocks start  352  end  354
  8:  DL    .SYS   1-MAR-89    4 blocks start  355  end  358
591:  ZRKLE0.BIC   1-MAR-89   23 blocks start 13147  end 13169
[B]592:  ZRLGE0.BIC   1-MAR-89   19 blocks start 13170  end 13188
593:  ZRLHB1.BIC   1-MAR-89   27 blocks start 13189  end 13215
594:  ZRLID1.BIN   1-MAR-89   30 blocks start 13216  end 13245
595:  ZRLJC0.BIC   1-MAR-89   23 blocks start 13246  end 13268
596:  ZRLKB3.BIC   1-MAR-89   26 blocks start 13269  end 13294
597:  ZRLLC1.BIN   1-MAR-89   14 blocks start 13295  end 13308
598:  ZRLMB1.BIN   1-MAR-89   23 blocks start 13309  end 13331
599:  ZRLNC0.BIC   1-MAR-89   29 blocks start 13332  end 13360
[/B]600:  ZRMLB1.BIC   1-MAR-89   35 blocks start 13361  end 13395

Don

Last edited:
When I power on the drive there is no red fault light if the computer is on and the cables are connected, but I can't boot. I want to eliminate the cables as the/a problem.

stupid question - I want to verify for sure if the cable I am using to connect the RT11 controller (M7762) to the "transition bracket" connector is correct. On the other end of the transition bracket one connects the cable from the drive itself. (per page 43 of the RL01/RL02 user guide). I am unsure because they refer to a "red stripe" but my cable does not have this stripe. The cable does not have a part number.

Anyway, Does anyone know if the cable that connects from the controller to the jack is a straight-through cable? i.e. can I use any ribbon cable as long as it has the right connectors, and the fault light remains unlit when the hardware is powered on and connected?

The cable that connects the drive to the transition bracket is correct, the part number is correct. The cable connects to the RL02 top port. I have the terminator in the bottom drive port.

I could get into more variables but for now I just want to confirm the one cable is supposed to be straight-through.

thanks

b

The bulbs are ok. Now that I have confirmation about the cable, and the cpu seems ok so far I can look at the controllers and maybe voltages from the h744 that powers the dd11C that the rl11 is using.

Things that happen prior to the drive working:

1 –if the red “fault” light is on there is a possibility that the drive is not getting clock from the controller. If the fault light is off your clock and cables are all good.

2- Once the drive has clock the “Load” light will come on and allow you to open the drive.

3 – After putting a disk pack in the drive the drive will spin up. After the drive reaches speed (2400RPM) and the heads extend into the pack the “Ready” light will come on. Until the ready light lights up you cannot read the drive.

4 – Very important! Put the disk shell on top of the pack or the drive won’t work.

I have a video on YouTube that shows the operation step by step:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK99WuaU_k8

Are you ever getting the ready light?

Confirming that the cable is supposed to be straight through (per Jack), I have no issues at all with the drive itself that I know of, or how to load a disk. I was told that the drives were tested on another system before I got them. I got the RT11 disk from you. I am reasonably satisfied that the CPU is OK. I am going to focus on the RL11 (M7762).

Bill

I was told that the drives were tested on another system before I got them.

If it came from Ian then yeah it was cleaned and tested on a PDP-11/23+. That would explain the good bulbs, we got a box of them and replaced the bad ones.

Yes, the drive appears to check out it does exactly what the manual says it should do to load a disk, etc. I totally get it no questions or mysteries. I have it cabled correctly.

If the ready light comes on the drive is spinning up, the servo is locking and the head is on track 0 or something like that and I would assume that the drive and pack are all good, everything has to be good with the drive and pack or the ready light won’t come on. Just about the only thing it can be at that point is the controller, the RL11 controller is six slots wide and is supposed to work in any MUD socket but it will have to have the brake in the NPG chain that’s sometimes wired on the sockets themselves. Know from experience that if the chain has a jumpier on the backplane in the RL11 location it won’t work. NPG is row C pins CA1 to CB1

You know my feelings on XXPD

I carefully tested to be sure I put the controller in a slot without the NPG jumper. On my entire backplane there are only two such slots. I have a NPG Grant card in the other slot.

The original post was about locating the correct diagnostic. I did not mean to turn it into a broader post on XXDP, but while we're on the subject I was able to use XXDP to determine why I was having CPU issues, and fix them. See earlier post on this board. I have moved on to the drive.

That said, simply inserting a known-working M7762 into my system - assuming everyting else is ok - will save a lot of time. If the system boots with a good card then I know I had been using a bad card. Sometimes it's more efficient to cut to the chase. The issue with XXDP is that you add new variables - is this version of ABCDEFG.BIN the correct diagnostic for my case and system? etc. (where ABCDEFG.BIN is a pseudo diagnostic name)

b

The stuff showed up today, and its bad news man. Everything checks good on my 11/34 the disk pack, terminator, the two drive cables and the three M7762 cards. Will check again tomorrow but now have one of my RL-02 drives with your terminator, pack, cable, forty pin interfaces and one of your 7762 cards running in my system with no issues.
Wish I had better news being I have spares of all that stuff but looks like you are going to be dealing with memory or CPU issues.
I have a XXDP disk pack that will run on systems when RT-11 wont and maybe that can be of some help? Just don’t remember if it’s a 01 or 02

So, here is what I am dealing with
1) System works well enough to download through a serial card, load and run BASIC into core memory
2) The RL11 M7762 cards (all three!), the cables and disk pack are OK.
3) To the best of my knowledge the RL11 controller is in a UNIBUS slot that has the NPR jumper removed. This is a requirement from the RL11 manual for the RL02/01. I am using a DD11C backplane that was modified so that both slot 2 and 4 have no NPR jumper. I have a NPR grant card installed in the 4th slot, C/D. I put the M7762 in the 2nd slot. I tested for the presence of the jumper easily by installing a HEX riser card into the slot used by the M7762 controller and then probing the two pins that the NPR Grant card connect. This way I did not have to check the wirewrap back. There is no continuity between these pins, indicating the jumper is not present. There *is* continuity in the NPR of the 1st and 3rd slot. On the rest of my UNIBUS there are no slots with the missing NPR jumper either. I tested them all.

possible issues
1) UNIBUS power - The 5V is a little low feeding into the DD11-C, but not much. I can boost the assigned h744 to 5.00v output.
2) There is a CPU fault that would not manifest itself by the use of BASIC that does manifest itself when trying to boot using RL11 drives.
3) The PDP 11/40 requires an option to be present that I do not have installed, that comes standard with the 11/34
4) The PDP 11/40 requires more RAM to be present
5) The bootstrap installed in the M9312 ROM is not compatible with the 11/40, or there is a vector / data address conflict.

Are there any diagnostics or experiments experts here would run next?

RAY - What are the voltages running across the bottom caps of the M7762 card (assuming you have a hex riser to test this)? How about the 7805?

thanks all.

Back