• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What are typical issues for Toshiba T1000LE's?

It refuses to power up directly from the adapter. IIRC, the machine needs a good battery to boot, but I've installed a good battery, and it won't charge properly. :/

Makes me think that there's something funny in the DC-DC power converter inside. I wish there were a schematic for the thing; it might help to nail things down.

Yeah. I have the service manual, but I don't think it has any schematics. I'll look at the capacitors on the boards. Make sure they're in tolerance.

One 220 UF capacitor is still not too bad, considering the age of the cap. 252 UF. The others, though...
480 UF for both. I'm replacing all of them either later today or tomorrow.

Last edited:
Just replaced the capacitors, and no change. I don't know what to do now. The DC-In led seems awfully dim, but I'm waiting to see if it gets brighter as it charges.

EDIT: It doesn't. It gets dimmer, but it takes a while. I've checked one of the fuses I saw, and it seems ok, but there's a diode next to it that if I'm testing right, is no good.

Last edited:
Can you snap a photo of the converter? Maybe there's something visually obvious. Without so much as a schematic, it's going to be a difficult task, however.

image.jpgYeah, here. No idea if this is the correct board, if not I can take a picture of the other one underneath.

No, that looks like the right one--the TI1451 is a buck/boost voltage controller, which gives you all of the various voltages needed to run the thing.

Let me stew on it for a day or two...

Could it be you're giving it the wrong amount of power? If it's like the Toshiba T1200 (fantastic machine) it does not need a battery in it to function.

Most of the time when I'm having a problem I'm just looking at it from the wrong angle, like when testing my Atari ST I was trying to find an issue on the motherboard when in fact the issue was that I needed to use a different 12v source, same specs but made differently, the ATX PSU would turn off when I turned on the ST but once I used a different 12v source, it was fine.

Well, I only have one other adapter around my house that supplies the right voltage, but this adapter should be working for it. It's a 12v 4.58a(I think) adapter, so it should be supplying enough power, and the adapter doesn't seem to shut off when I try to turn on the power... I'm concerned that the issue is with one of the power chips on the board.

image.jpgI disconnected the LCD and LED cables out of curiosity, and this happened. My best guess is maybe the LCD cable is hooked up wrong? I'll need to check that manual...

And hopefully the power connector doesn't have the positive negative switched? That's an interesting issue. It kinda sounds like something that could happen if the power was too low, but I'm not a professional at electronics. *pokes other people here*

Nope. Power isn't switched. I don't think the power is too low, unless something in the power board is damaged...
I experimented some and it only happens is Charge1 and Charge2 are connected, while LCD and LED are disconnected. A short perhaps?

I can guess the answer already, but does anyone have the entire power board assembly, with the cables they'd be willing to sell or trade? I'm not sure if my board even works. If not, does anyone have the correct power adapter? I'm getting really tired of my hack...

Well that point is where you find another one on ebay to test with. Thats what I've done with many computers, including my T3100 - I just had two of them, and sold one once I knew what was going on with both. If it helps it's likely it uses the same power adapter as the T1200; the T1000 is 12v 1.7a and the T1200 is 2.2a, but the same shape and design.

Only problem with that is the T1000LE is hard to find and expensive, and the T1200 is only a little cheaper and easier to find...

Touché. If you'd like, I can keep an eye out for that GRiD 1660. I'll try to pick the Toshiba up if I can make an offer. I'll also keep an eye out for a cheaper one.

Thanks please do keep an eye out for a 1660, they're so hard to find it'd be a miracle :) and yeah definitely make an offer, that's sometimes been a great way to get good deals, I've been surprised a couple times at what people have accepted.
I now have an HP Portable 110 with a sort of similar problem to your T1000, not powering on...

Before I bought it, I looked at the "Maintenance Manual", for the SE, and I'm not sure the internal power supply will fit in the LE. It looks to be a totally different board. :/
I'll keep an eye out for the LE model for cheap.

Back