• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

I'm too entusiastic for my own good !

kepla

Hi everyone.
It seems that new members are expected to introduce themselves to the group here, so who am I to buck a trend ?
Professionally, I've been an analyst-programmer for over twenty years - working on mainframes and Unix minis. Privately, I've been 'into' micros for about twenty-five years.
Interest started as a sideline to my amateur radio and electronics hobby in the mid-70's: Sinclair Mk14, AIM-65, Elf (RCA 1802), Ohio UK-101 Superboard and stuff like that, but I couldn't afford any of it untill the Sinclair ZX80 arrived on the scene. I'd just about got that soldered up and working when the ZX81 came out, and I also aquired a Spectrum and QL along the way. My interest drifted towards the Commodore machines for a while - they had above-average graphics due to custom chips (except on my PET 2008) and a cassette interface which actually worked ! I still have a few C-64s in my collection (and C-16s). The Nascom-1 and Nascom-2 were interesting self-build machines for a while, as was the Acorn System-1 and Tangerine MicroTan-65. A Comart Communicator and Rair Black Box provided professional level CP/M facilites, but activities in the Acorn camp were soon to grab my exclusive attention.
Mid-eighties, the Acorn BBC Model B was probably the most versatile of micros to use. Sideways (paged) memory and proper Disk and network interfaces gave more potential then you could handle in a 24-hour day. It might have only used a puny 6502 processor, but it used it well. A Dragon 32 sat alongside the 'beeb' (it still does) and provided an interesting contrast. 6809 processor, and the interfaces were plug-in cartridges. Beebs and Dragons can be networked together, if you can remember which assembly language you are supposed to be working in, for extra fun. I never really got in to the rash of 16-bit micros when they came out, except for my Sinclair QL. A growing family soaked up all the spare time and funds, and towards the end of the 80's I felt myself plummeting into the dark and dismal depths of the PC.
Not so long ago I started rediscovering the somewhat interesting portable machines of the late eighties and early nineties. As a result, I have aquired a Cambridge Z88 and Amstrad NC100 and NC200 machines. I am now looking to 'pad out' my collection with other portables from the Epson and NEC stables. It is amazing how far downhill notepads have slipped since these machines in terms of size, weight and battery life. An Amstrad NC200 is one hell of a machine, and you can get them easily enough at the moment.
Well, the above is probably more than enough about me. Comments welcome, of course. I'll detail my collection properly in the 'Collections' forum.

Welcome!

Welcome!

Welcome to the VC Forum, Kevin! It's good to hear about someone else who's taken to the hobby in a big way!

It sounds like you've got a really nice and growing collection of memorable machines. Being from the states my rememberances of old boxes are different, but the memories are similar. For me it was the capabilities of the old Atari and Apple machines that always awed me, in their day.

I look forward to reading/seeing details about your collection!

Erik

Cheers Erik !
The Apple II, and especially the IIe, was pretty popular in Britain too. It was far too expensive for home use, though, but I had the opportunity to work with them for a few months 'in their day'. I thought the idea of combining a singleboard and a cardframe into one was really cool.
I was never too keen on the early Atari machines - they seemed far too games-oriented - untill the Atari ST came along. Built-in midi ports and steinberg music software - it doesn't get much better !
I always fancied some of the earlier, true hobbiest, machines - like the Altair, Ampro and mark-eight. I really like the early 'pioneering' machines, even though Commodore had the PET design out at around the same time. All boxed-up and professional-looking, but not half as interesting.
Probably my greatest area of interest these days is in the machines which ran CP/M (or even MP/M). I am currently researching the design of a modern-classic-repro machine - a rebuild of a classic CP/M design using modern CMOS chips and pseudo-static RAM. The idea being to come up with something which successfully mimics an old Z80 machine, but will run for hours on end off batteries. I've had a thread running on comp.os.cpm for a while discussing this project, and have had some very usefull input from a number of people.

"kepla" wrote in message:

> I was never too keen on the early Atari machines -
> they seemed far too games-oriented - untill the
> Atari ST came along. Built-in midi ports and
> steinberg music software - it doesn't get much better !

<snip!>

> Probably my greatest area of interest these days
> is in the machines which ran CP/M (or even MP/M).
> I am currently researching the design of a
> modern-classic-repro machine - a rebuild of a
> classic CP/M design using modern CMOS chips and
> pseudo-static RAM. The idea being to come up with
> something which successfully mimics an old Z80
> machine, but will run for hours on end off batteries.
> I've had a thread running on comp.os.cpm for a
> while discussing this project, and have had some
> very usefull input from a number of people.

Heh! You'll like me, I'm the guy who occasionally
brings the DOS games to CP/M-86! ;-)

Cheers.

Heh! You'll like me, I'm the guy who occasionally
brings the DOS games to CP/M-86! ;-)
Why ?
Or, more seriously, does this mean I can look forward to more software for my ACT Sirius-1 ?

>> Heh! You'll like me, I'm the guy who occasionally
>> brings the DOS games to CP/M-86! ;-)

> Why ?

> Or, more seriously, does this mean I can look
> forward to more software for my ACT Sirius-1 ?

No, sorry Kevin :-(

The Good News:
==========!
Theoritically, it should be possible with some
rewriting to get my stuff working on the Sirus-1
(since this machine has some graphical abilities,
graphical demos shouldn't be any worries for it).

Anyway it's nice to hear from you! :)

Cheers.

> Or, more seriously, does this mean I can look
> forward to more software for my ACT Sirius-1 ?
No, sorry Kevin :-(
The Good News:
==========!
Theoritically, it should be possible with some
rewriting to get my stuff working on the Sirus-1
(since this machine has some graphical abilities,
graphical demos shouldn't be any worries for it).
I'm just wondering what the problem would be as the ACT Sirius-1 was one of the few machines that I know of which ran CP/M-86 and MS-DOS as standard. What sort of hardware are you targetting your CP/M-86 converted ex-DOS games at ? Not the dreaded IBM-PC I hope !
IBM-PC = Its Being Mended - Pretty Cheap. :)

>>> Or, more seriously, does this mean I can look
>>> forward to more software for my ACT Sirius-1 ?

>> No, sorry Kevin :-(
>> The Good News:
>> ==========!
>> Theoritically, it should be possible with some
>> rewriting to get my stuff working on the Sirus-1
>> (since this machine has some graphical abilities,
>> graphical demos shouldn't be any worries for it).

> I'm just wondering what the problem
> would be as the ACT Sirius-1 was one
> of the few machines that I know of
> which ran CP/M-86 and MS-DOS as
> standard. What sort of hardware are
> you targetting your CP/M-86
> converted ex-DOS games at ? Not
> the dreaded IBM-PC I hope !
> IBM-PC = Its Being Mended - Pretty
> Cheap. :)

Yep! CP/M-86 runs alright on it though!
The transformation of DOS programs
to CP/M-86 is reasonibly easy. This is
what happens when I decided I'll get
some 386s & run CP/M-86 on them.

However, I've also transformed one of
my routines (which plots the contents
of a 1D array & draws a 2D object - in
this case a Ball) & translated it to my
Amstrad CPC under CP/M 2.2 & CP/M
Plus (speed wise it's a little slow!).
Oddily enough I wrote this routine to
use in SmallC v1.1 for CP/M-86
because it doesn't support 2D arrays).
I'm still yet to get around to doing.
Along with taking some assembly
written on AMSDOS (on my Amstrad)
to CP/M & use Turbo Pascal with it.
Along with some other things! :-(

Cheers.

However, I've also transformed one of my routines (which plots the contents of a 1D array & draws a 2D object - in this case a Ball) & translated it to my Amstrad CPC under CP/M 2.2 & CP/M Plus (speed wise it's a little slow!). Oddily enough I wrote this routine to use in SmallC v1.1 for CP/M-86 because it doesn't support 2D arrays). I'm still yet to get around to doing. Along with taking some assembly written on AMSDOS (on my Amstrad) to CP/M & use Turbo Pascal with it.
Along with some other things! :-(
Sounds like you have a fair old knowledge of programming under CP/M there. I'm currently getting together the design of a new CP/M machine, though not entirely 'new'. The design will probably be based on one or more classic machines but modern chips will be used. Particular issues at the moment are the memory map arrangement (plus the I/O map) and how memory bank selection will be arranged. Do you have a particular take on this from the programming angle ? I'm thinking maybe certain arrangements might lead to better software performance, more facilities, etc. Conversely, there might be certain ways of doing things which you consider to be a complete pain from the perspective of writing software. I'd be interested to know what you think.

>> However, I've also transformed one of
>> my routines (which plots the contents
>> of a 1D array & draws a 2D object - in
>> this case a Ball) & translated it to my
>> Amstrad CPC under CP/M 2.2 & CP/M
>> Plus (speed wise it's a little slow!). Oddily
>> enough I wrote this routine to use in
>> SmallC v1.1 for CP/M-86 because it
>> doesn't support 2D arrays). I'm still yet
>> to get around to doing. Along with taking
>> some assembly written on AMSDOS (on
>> my Amstrad) to CP/M & use Turbo Pascal
>> with it.

>> Along with some other things! :-(

> Sounds like you have a fair old knowledge of
> programming under CP/M there. I'm currently
> getting together the design of a new CP/M
> machine, though not entirely 'new'. The
> design will probably be based on one or more
> classic machines but modern chips will be
> used. Particular issues at the moment are
> the memory map arrangement (plus the I/O
> map) and how memory bank selection will be
> arranged. Do you have a particular take on
> this from the programming angle ? I'm
> thinking maybe certain arrangements might
> lead to better software performance, more
> facilities, etc. Conversely, there might be
> certain ways of doing things which you
> consider to be a complete pain from the
> perspective of writing software. I'd be
> interested to know what you think.

You mean take the best features out of any
machine & put them in your own?

Most of my work has been based around
taking someone's freely distributed code
& translate it for my version of Turbo
Pascal (so it works in CP/M-86). Naturally
there are some things I'm limited to which
came in later versions of Turbo Pascal,
but generally I've found some ways around
that in TP3. Most programs I translated are
also years ahead of when CP/M-86 came
out, such as using a VGA card too. But
they are things which the IBM hardware
interrupts support (which mainly works
regardless of OS).

Cheers.

Hi Kepla.Ive owned the Americanized versions of Sinclair Machines
The Timex Sinclair 1000-equivalent to the ZX81 I believe and the
Timex Sinclair 2068 which was similar to the U.K.'s Spectrum.
I remember those ads for the Sinclair QL machine.So you actually own one.That is pretty cool.I think that Linus Torvalds(I believe that is his name) used to own the QL.I think he later went on to develop Linux.
I was an avid electonics hobbiest too in the 1970's.I really liked building monsterous and highly dangerous pulsed power supplies for flashlamp powered Lasers.

Back