• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Introduction to Erik and Group about Franklin Computer

slagambi

Hi,

I have been reading your site for a while now and enjoy reading about the different computers you have collected. I have some information that I think you will find interesting.

I was the 5th employee of Franklin Computer Corporation back in the 80's we started out in a small office in Maple Shade NJ.(The three owners Russell, Joel, Barry and Mike the engineer). I was really young then. I was the Technican that worked with Mike to create the first proto type. We built the mother bd on top of a piece of sheet metal. The first ones we built were all in one. The base and the monitor were all one unit. To big for home use, again home computers were not there. I was everything at that time, shipping and receiving, assembly and tester. My days were long........

We moved from there to a plant facility in Pennsauken, NJ and I was ask to work with an industrial engineer to setup the assembly lines and then I was ask to hire employees. We grew rapidly and I was the supervisor for production. Yes I was there during the law suite.........

Erick, I just posted my listing on Ebay of my Franklin ACE1000 and bundle I decided to part with it. This was one of the first units to come off the Assembly line. Check it out.............
I have everything even the original software...I think this computer has Historical Value.......I did not post the picture but I even have a picture of one of the prototypes with the owner when we were in the little office in Maple Shade, NJ. I have read many writes ups on the History of Franklin Computer Corp. and I am here to give you additional History because I was there. If you have any questions feel free to email me.

Regards
Susan

Welcome to the VC Forum and thanks for sharing!

I'm sure I'll email you for some Franklin information for my site as soon as things settle down a bit here.

Meanwhile, your auction does sound very interesting. Can you post the link to the auction itself?

Thanks, and enjoy the forums!

Erik

Hi Erik

Hi Erik

Great talking with you Erik

The link to my Franklin Bundle for sale is

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2762198857&category=51046

There are other items I am including with this package that is not listed on the site including Games, PC Tools and installation for printer and interface. The Franklin floppies are the orginal installation and others.

I guess will never see the Floppy again............I remember when I could buy them for 10 cents a piece......... :cry:

Another thing I do know is what the big thing between Apple and Franklin systems was......... the color scheme. Franklin changed their color scheme, Email me for the info.......slagambi@sprintmail.com.

That is why all clones created today all have different color schemes. I bet alot of people don't know that.............

Looking forward to talking to the group............

Today I am a contractor and own my outsourcing firm BizRamp Inc....I have worked with most of corporate america.........If you would like to see my knowledge and experience in computers my resume can be found at techwriterpro.com.

Erick,

I have a question for you...........did you develop this forum or is it an off the self product? Its great........ :D

Regards
Susan

The boards are run using PHPBB which is an "out of the box" message board solution. Another neat feature is that it's FREE.

There are other products out there (my personal favorite is vBulletin but it costs. I may upgrade these boards to that someday, but not until we get a bit more "popular."

Thanks for the info and thanks again for the kind words!

Erik

Question

Question

Erik,

I was reading some of your postings and you said you went to shows in Trenton.............Is that Trenton, NJ......Did you live there once.........

Still not having any luck selling my FRANKLIN on ebay...I only have 2 days left. If I don't sell it I am going to take it to a fleeMarket....Any suggestions. I plugged the system in the other day and runs as great as the day I got it. I am willing to sell it without the printer. I just think that the software and unit should stay together...Do you remember RBASE?

slagambi

Re: Question

Re: Question

slagambi said:
I was reading some of your postings and you said you went to shows in Trenton.............Is that Trenton, NJ......Did you live there once.........

I used to live on Long Island. That's where I grew up so the East Coast computer scene was more accessible. :)

slagambi said:
Still not having any luck selling my FRANKLIN on ebay...I only have 2 days left. If I don't sell it I am going to take it to a fleeMarket....Any suggestions. I plugged the system in the other day and runs as great as the day I got it. I am willing to sell it without the printer. I just think that the software and unit should stay together...Do you remember RBASE?

I posted about this on one of the other threads. I wouldn't sweat it too much yet. A lot of people (myself included) like to snipe auctions. If it doesn't sell I'd suggest re-listing it with different parameters as described in the other thread.

I agree that you should try to keep everything together but that maybe the printer could be excluded. Those can be heavy and expensive to ship.

Best of luck!

Erik

Thanks Erik

Thanks Erik

Erik,

I grew up in South Jeresy. I went to the shows...I remember when they use to hold shows at the Atlantic City Convention center. I was at the booth for Franklin once there.

I did one contract with Commodore Computer way back. I wrote a few of there install guides. Those were the good old days.

Thanks I changed the price and removed the printer, lets see if it takes hold. The digital camera I used really is not the greatest, but thats all I had.

By the way I downloaded the forum and FTP it to the server. Thanks I really appreciated it. I have a few sites..

How are jobs out there on the East Coast? I am having a hard time around here getting contracts as a system analyst. There is just no contracts out there. I may have to go perm.......somewhere. I just finished up doing a year and half with Merrill Lynch. We merged three backend systems together with a web-base front end. I do a lot of Testing with Rational and system life cycle documentation.

Thanks Again for your help Erick

slagambi

Re: Thanks Erik

Re: Thanks Erik

slagambi said:
Thanks I changed the price and removed the printer, lets see if it takes hold. The digital camera I used really is not the greatest, but thats all I had.

That sounds like a plan. I hope it works out for you. If I remember, the auction is closing today or tomorrow.

slagambi said:
By the way I downloaded the forum and FTP it to the server. Thanks I really appreciated it. I have a few sites..

Awesome! It really is some great software.

slagambi said:
How are jobs out there on the East Coast? I am having a hard time around here getting contracts as a system analyst. There is just no contracts out there. I may have to go perm.......somewhere. I just finished up doing a year and half with Merrill Lynch. We merged three backend systems together with a web-base front end. I do a lot of Testing with Rational and system life cycle documentation.

I should have clarified in my last post. . . :)

I grew up on the East Coast but I moved out West with college and never looked back. I currently live in San Jose and work nearby in Mountain View. I've been with my company for over 7 years and we're doing well.

Best of luck!

Erik

Back