• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

8-bit Ethernet cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super-Slasher

Experienced Member
Just wondering if there are any 8-bit ISA ethernet cards in existance, because all I've ever seen or heard of is 16-bit EISA ethernet cards. I'd like to find one so I can get my Zenith on the Internet so I can use that Contiki OS on it.

:eek:

I'm pretty sure there are. I seem to remember networking AT class machines way back when using ISA cards.

That doesn't mean I have any, but you should be able to find one.

Good luck!

Erik

8-bit Ethernet cards

8-bit Ethernet cards

Yes, for instance the 3c501... I'd just seen one of these at the Surplus place I frequent the other day. However, you might try sticking a 16-bit ISA ethernet card in the machine.. I've used 16bit ISA VGA cards in a PC/XT before, so an Ethernet card might work as well. If you want me to grab the 3com 8-bit ethernet card for you, send me an email.

Plug an EISA card into an ISA slot? I dunno... wouldn't that not work? I mean, the extra connections not being made on the extended portion of the card edge?

Even if it did work, I doubt it would work to it's full potential, plus it would look rather shabby. I think I'd rather try to get an actual 8-bit/ISA slot ethernet card, that way I'm assured it'll work okay.

Thanks for your input. I might contact you in the near future about one of those cards. (Does it have the 9-pin ethernet connector in the back?)

Super-Slasher said:
Plug an EISA card into an ISA slot? I dunno... wouldn't that not work? I mean, the extra connections not being made on the extended portion of the card edge?
As I said, I've done it with VGA cards, I don't see why it wouldn't also work with ethernet cards. The only signals that matter on the 16-bit part (note, that's NOT EISA, EISA is a 32bit extension that won't properly fit into an ISA card slot) are address pins over A19 (>1MB) and D8-D15. If you get a simple NE2000 card, which doesn't use memory space, just i/O space, it already ignores the address pins. Also, the high byte (D8-D15 pins) won't be used unless the CPU uses a 16bit I/O instruction, which I can guarantee won't happen on an 8088 /8086 based machine.

The bigger issue is that just about every 8-bit ethernet card was unreliable at best. I'd rather klooge a 16-bit card to work in an 8-bit slot than try to use something with a 3c501 in it. However, if you're that worried about asthetics (I care more about functionality, personally...) then sure, go ahead and get an 8-bit ethernet card, it'll look less out of place. Just don't complain when it can't keep up with network traffic : ).

Super-Slasher said:
Thanks for your input. I might contact you in the near future about one of those cards. (Does it have the 9-pin ethernet connector in the back?)

I think you mean 15-pin, but yes, it should. I'd have to go back to check, but I'd doubt it would lack it for that era of card. If you want, I can send you both a 16-bit and 8-bit card so you can decide which you prefer. I've got plenty of the 16-bit ISA cards laying around here taking up space that should have DEC cards. : )

Re: 8-bit Ethernet cards?

Super-Slasher said:
Just wondering if there are any 8-bit ISA ethernet cards in existance, because all I've ever seen or heard of is 16-bit EISA ethernet cards.

Well, I have three right here;

Two are Western Digital WD8003E and the other is a WD8003EB. However they are ISA. They have about 20 jumpers and they have both AUI and BNC connectors.

I've never been able to make them work.

some of the 16 bit ISA card will work in the 8 bit slot and the 8 bit mode. some of them will work in the 8 bit slot and will not work in the 8 bit mode. (work in short ISA slot but require a AT CPU etc ) and some will not work in the 8 bit slot.
It depends on the chips.
As for the VGA card . The most well know example is the Tsenglab chips. Allmost all the VGA card with the ET4000AX chips will work both in the 16 bit slot and the 8 bit slot , and will work in the 8 bit mode ( so it will work in the 8088 machine) . In fact , i haven't seen a ET4000AX card not work in the XT. However the 16 bit VGA card with other Tsenglab chips will not work.

As for the netcard , i am not certain . However , i have a couple of Dlink 16 bit netcards ( dlink 220 series) . All of them will work on 8 bit mode. Acorrding to manual , the dlink 220 will automatically detect on what slot it was plugged and then switch the working mode accordingly. I dont know why dlink emphasize this. Do they imply that some of the other 16 bit netcard will not work in 8 bit mode? i am not sure.

AFAIK the 3c509 does not work in 8 bit.

Stay clear of the 3c501 (and the 3c505 16 bit also), they have 'issues'

I think most 16 bit cards that work in 8 bit mode when in an 8 bit slot are of the NE2000 type (they then act as NE1000)

I am looking at a catalog sent to me by Sena Technologies, promoting ethernet connectivity through a serial port using their Hello! device, RS232 ethernet. It is a small board that you can get in a variety of configs, in a small yellow box, a larger black box and a different one that connects rs232, 422, 485. Those are the "device servers." There are also terminal servers in the same configurations. Looks to be windows only, though I figure a dos app could be written for it.

Specs:
Male DB9 serial interface
Serial speeds 150bps-115Kbps
Flow control: hardware/software
Signals: RS232/Rx, Tx, RTS, CTS, GND

10 Base-T with RJ-45 Ethernet connector
Supports static and dynamic IP address

ARP, IP/ICMP
TCP
BOOTP/DHCP client

User ID/Password

HelloDevice Utility Software
O/S support: Win 89/ME/NT/2000/XP

Diagnostic LED
Power
Rx, Tx, Collision for ethernet

Operating temp
5-50 degrees celcius
Storage Temperature
-40-66 degrees Celcius

98x66x30mm
3.9x2.6x1.2in
240g

7.5~9vdc
300mA@7.5v

Though it doesn't advertise it, I presume this thing came out after the embedded ethernet chip came out. Seems it would be a great device to have for several different machines on a switch. No price given in the catalog, though. The website to get a free catalog from Korea in about 2 months is:

http://www.sena.com

Nathan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back