• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Stroke of luck...

Super-Slasher

Experienced Member
After trying unsuccessfully to locate 12 sticks of 256K pairity SIMM's for my IBM PC AT for the past 6 months, I pretty much given up. After trying all the local computer stores, not-so-local outlets and even eBay and other places on the net, I just couldn't get my hands on it either due insufficient funds or... insufficient funds (hehe)...

So I finally ask the local computer store circuit again, just to waste some time before going to town. It turns out one of the regular fix-it guys at my favorite place has tons of old 30-pins, and when I told them it was for an old legacy computer, he offered to give them to me for free - he claims to have two large pails (the kind you can get oil or cooking grease in), and will just give them to me. 16MB, 4MB, 1MB, and 256K. I'm picking it up tomorrow...

AND, he claims to have tons of old cards as well: SCSI adapters, MFM cards and cables, old hard drives, even some VLB video cards! He said he take some time every weekend to find what he could and give those to me, too!

When's the last time you've come into a stroke of luck, computer-related?

The last time was half a year ago when I saw a colleague about to dump an 9.1 Gb full height SCSI disk (ST-9 something). I was able to talk him out of it.

This drive was a monster.. I installed it in an old 386 first, but the power supply died when the disk spinned up..

Unfortunately the drive died pretty soon :roll:

*update* :lol:

I was lucky an hour ago, looking at the local recycle shop where I found a Miniscribe 8425 MFM drive for a whopping 1 euro.

They also had some CPU's which don't expect to cost more
- even some Z80's (anybody want one?)
Slasher, unfortunately no 80287, I did take a look :p

Actually, I got my Apple IIGS when one of my dad's friends was moving, and somehow found out I was into that stuff (my dad is very proud I can do these computer things :roll: )

So, I went over his house, and he has all types of stuff- obviously very wealthy, and indulged in the 1980s.

He had the Apple IIGS, Performa 405, the original Macintosh, and some Atari games (the 2600 wasn't working). I was very happy me and my dad took the time to trek out for an hour to get to his house.

Owww... I have tracked someone with a 1983 IBM PC * including * expansion box with two 10 meg HD's... I hope i pull this off...

Jorg said:
Owww... I have tracked someone with a 1983 IBM PC * including * expansion box with two 10 meg HD's... I hope i pull this off...

The expansion boxes are fairly hard to find. The second gen PCs (silver PS and 256K MBs) are very common but the original PCs are rarer

Good luck!

Erik

Would one of you be able to estimate a price for it? When in good condition ofcourse. It should be a PC with 2 floppies, with the 2 hds in the expansion box.
I don't want to get overenthousiastic, but I'm not sure what the seller is asking, its not a pro, but I dont want to put him off either.

There's a wide range, but I'd put a working PC with original keyboard and a monitor all in clean condition at about $50-$75. Add the docs (DOS, BASIC and Guide to Operations) to bring it up to $100 or so.

The Expansion unit itself is probably worth around $100 or so as well.

If there are any extras such as boxes or extra software then there could be an increment in price.

All told, though, I wouldn't think the entire setup is worth more then $200-$250 at the high end.

Erik

Back