• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

I finally got an Amiga

Erik

Site Administrator
Staff member
To date, my collection has had a vacant spot where an Amiga was supposed to sit. Today I finally filled that spot.

I just got back from a driving trip during which I picked up a very nice Amiga 4000 system. I'll have to do some more investigating (all I did so far was plug it in and boot it up) but everything appears to be 100%.

The system came with the keyboard, monitor and mouse as well as external 3.5 and 5.25 drives and an external tape backup system. It looks like the system has two hard drives and there are also boxes and boxes of software and docs, most of which I haven't even opened yet.

It's all pretty dusty but nothing worse. I'll post more when I can get a better look at it.

Erik

The Amiga 4000 is a cool computer, and much wanted, at least here...

I guess you'll find some cool websites about Amigas, especially in Germany where this machine had a great impact.
You'll see, this was a fantastic computer, which, like the Mac, was well ahead of its time compared to PCs...

Nice machine, is it a tower or desktop? The 4000's are kind of rare since most were made after commodore went under and another company started up production.

I prefer the A500/A1200 units because I just play games on them and like the all in one keyboard look.

Unknown_K said:
Nice machine, is it a tower or desktop? The 4000's are kind of rare since most were made after commodore went under and another company started up production.

It's a desktop unit that the original owner bought the day before or after (I can't remember) Commodore declared bankruptcy.

I'm going from memory, but I think it's an 030/EC or something like that.

Erik

Erik said:
Unknown_K said:

It's a desktop unit that the original owner bought the day before or after (I can't remember) Commodore declared bankruptcy.

I'm going from memory, but I think it's an 030/EC or something like that.

Erik

http://amiga.emugaming.com/a4000.html

check that out

Re: I finally got an Amiga

Erik said:
To date, my collection has had a vacant spot where an Amiga was supposed to sit. Today I finally filled that spot.

You'll love running the A4000. :D You'll need to determine what version of the operating system you have. Most likely is the 3.0 roms. Running newer software will be simple and easy with Commodore's installer program. Ealier games will require a program called "degrader" to work. Shareware is still readily available as are programming languages and utilities. Properly set up, you can read and write FAT formatted disks. I have my A1200HD pretty trigged out and can assist you should you need help. One thing... The original Microsoft Amiga BASIC won't run well with the EC030 or 040 CPU. Try either using the Arexx interpreter or downloading a freeware language such as forth or pascal. RLE

Re: I finally got an Amiga

Rick Ethridge said:
You'll need to determine what version of the operating system you have. Most likely is the 3.0 roms.

I'm pretty sure I saw 3.1 listed as it booted but the screen came and went too fast to get a good look. I only booted it the one time since I was really just supposed to be unloading the car! :)

I'll do some dust removal and a closer inspection sometime this week (I hope) depending on the outcome of the mile-long list of other tasks I've got queued.

You'd think you'd find MORE time during the holidays with all of the days off. . .

Erik

3.0 roms were pretty much for the a1200 (which I have), 3.1 cam out for the a4000's I believe (not much difference anyway).

My a1200 has a blizzard IV 68030/50 with math-coprocessor and 16mb fast ram (it actually takes a 128mb 72 pin sim if I needed one) 3.2gb IBM 2.5" HD loads in seconds to OS 3.0. I also have a 10/100 pcmcia network card for the unit. My original boxed games take up a whole bookshelf.. nothing like classic gaming.

If anybody wants a good support website with great forum try these out (I belong to both using same nick):

http://eab.abime.net
http://www.total-amiga.com

A4000 CPUs

A4000 CPUs

Erik said:
but I think it's an 030/EC or something like that.

Mine was shipped as one of those (I bought it in N.Z. in 1997 and converted it to 110V when I got home). Later, I replaced the 68EC030 with a full-on 68030 (so I could use Enforcer for software development). I did eventually put an A3640 card in it, which is as far as I took it - 16MB of FAST RAM, 2MB of CHIP and a 25MHz '040. I know lots of A4000 owners turbocharged theirs, but I never did.

Back