• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM PC 5150

PS1

Im trying to add a 10mb hard drive to this machine.
I got this machine from a friend who had known of it all its life in his office at work.
beleive it or not it was only retired last year and put in a cupboard and this is when it came to me.
The hard drive was added to the machine in about 1990, when i recieved it
it had been put back as originally shipped with 2 floppy drives.

so i reconnected the hard drive but when i boot up i get intermitent problem where the monitor wont power up.

when it does this if i shut down and remove the power plug to the hard drive and restart the monitor powers up.

I think i have a power supply problem what does anyone else think ?

I'd agree with your diagnosis. The original PC had a 63.5 watt power supply (I'm pretty sure that was the number) that was often too anemic for a fully stuffed machine.

What else do you have installed? If you've got a lot of RAM, a multi-function card and a hard drive you're probably pushing it, depending on how much the drive draws.

Erik

when i run my IBM diagnostic disk it lists the following.
System board
640kb memory
keyboard
monochrome & printer adapter
2 diskette drives & adapter
parallel printer adapter
async communications adapter
game control adaptor

i think its too much for the power supply

what would you recommend removing.

PS1 said:
System board
640kb memory
keyboard
parallel printer adapter
game control adaptor

I'd recomend replacing the power supply as a first step. BTW, are you using the IBM monochrome monitor that plugs into the back of the machine instead of the wall? Perhaps there is a short in that.

--T

I'd pull the second parallel printer adaptor and the game controller for starters.

They don't draw much, but it might put you over the top.

After that you may have to scale back on the RAM a bit. There has to be a card in there to expand the RAM (probably a multi-function card with the second parallel, serial and RAM, at least)

If so, pull that for starters (don't forget to reset the dip switches) and see if it helps.

Good luck!

Erik

Erik said:
If so, pull that for starters (don't forget to reset the dip switches) and see if it helps.

Good luck!

Erik

Oh,yeah. Good idea. If you have a hard drive in there and it's still seeing two floppies, then the switches aren't set correctly. (Hopefully you got a manual with it, so you can look up how they are supposed to be set).

--T

PS1 said:
System board
640kb memory
keyboard
parallel printer adapter
game control adaptor

I'd say either unplug the B: drive for test or replace both floppies with ½-height drives if that helps.

If you are plugging the monitor into the spare socket on the back of the main power supply, don't - go to the wall instead.

(I'm pretty sure it's 120V input, but the power plug isn't the same as the wall. Check first.)

thanks for that sugestion im in uk monitor is set for 230v operation.

plugging it into a seperate power supply doesnt help still stays off.

:(

mbbrutman said:
If you are plugging the monitor into the spare socket on the back of the main power supply, don't - go to the wall instead.

That outlet doesn't use power supply power. It's just controlled by the switch.

Back