• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Can I go back to Windows98 from Millennium?

the fixer

Im trying to load windows98 on a PC which came loaded with Millennium. So far, every fdisk that Ive tried gets me an error message. I tried the Windows98 boot disk, but I only get as far as the setup wizzard before it tells me I need an upgraded version. So, is it possible to startup in DOS, reformat drive C, then upload windows98 from the CD? If so, what is the step by step procedure? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

If the machine in question can still run Windows ME you can create a startup disk for that machine to boot off of.

Make sure that startup disk contains the system (command.com and some hidden files), format.com and fdisk.exe. That should be all you need.

Boot off of the floppy, run fdisk to remove the partitions. Reboot and run it again to create partition(s) and then format the drive.

From there you can boot from your OS install disk and get going.

I don't remember exactly what it's called, but Win98 and WinME allow you to create a startup disk that has CD ROM support. You'll probably want that. . .

Best of luck!

Erik

I created a startup disk for ME, rebooted and was able to format drive C. I uploaded Windows98 for my CD, but now, when I try to register on the new PC, it wont accept my "Authentication Number" from my old computer's Windows98. Is there a way around this?

Maybe the previous serial number was from a Win95 upgrade and not a clean Win98 install? I'm sure there are key generators or stolen keys floating around on the Internet if you want to go that way, but normally your CD should've come with its own serial key?

Back-up kits that you have on drive C(if you have) and you need and after that put in the cd-rom the windows 98 CD, restart, boot from cd and use fdisk to format C and after that install Windows 98.
Succes.

Use DOS?

Use DOS?

I have found that recent versions of Windows will refuse to downgrade a newer version; for example, if Windows 98 finds Windows 2000 on your hard drive, it won't delete it.

To get around this, I use DOS 6.22 Fdisk and Format to reformat the first 2 GB of the drive, then repartition and reformat again with the desired Windows version. You could also use a disk wipe utility if you have one. Thing is, you need to remove all traces of the newer Windows version before you can downgrade.

Back