• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Dave Dunfield's site

I find it slightly amusing to have six (excellent condition) units of something you rank as "rare". :) While I believe him, it almost gives me eBay associations, if you see what I mean.

you mean he might be doing a bit of perception management :)

i don't know if he sells any of these things, but i think he would trade for things.

chris

he is a really nice guy Terry.

i am sure you would have loved to have been at the meet up actually.

lots of CP/M and portable talk.

chris

CP/M User said:
"Terry Yager" wrote:

> Wow! I just love his homebrews, especially the portable
> one. The 6809 is one of my favorite CPUs.

That CPU which M$ Wrote BASIC for?

Cheers,
CP/M User.

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of OS/9 (my second-favorite OS).

--T

carlsson said:
I find it slightly amusing to have six (excellent condition) units of something you rank as "rare". :) While I believe him, it almost gives me eBay associations, if you see what I mean.

It is not my intention to mislead anyone - rarity is a subjective topic
to begin with - To my mind: Common = you or your neighbors probably
have one. Uncommon - There might be a few in your town. Rare = You
probably won't find one unless you really look. I don't bother with "Very
Rare" etc. as these are too subjective to be meaningful. It's really just
a guideline on how hard it was for me to find.

I don't know which machines you are talking about, I took a quick look
and didn't see 'R6' on the site, but errors do happen - let me know and
I'll re-evaluate.

In the case of multiple units, Condition usually refers to the "showpiece"
(best one) - I don't list all units separately, therefore I do not list their
condition separately - Often I have multiple "excellent" units (because I
restore them to such condition), however 'E' also doesn't mean that all
of the units I have are in that condition.

Hope that clears it up a little.

Dave

After much eBay experience, I've come to hate the very word "rare," and I try not to use it, but sometimes, there's just no other word to adequately describe an item. Some computers really are rare.

--T

Terry Yager said:
After much eBay experience, I've come to hate the very word "rare," and I try not to use it, but sometimes, there's just no other word to adequately describe an item. Some computers really are rare.

--T

I'm not a big fan of Ebay either (for various reasons) - But I won't stop
using a word because It gets abused on Ebay - I don't consider Ebay to
be a defining influence on my use of the language.

I do take exception of my classifications of "Common, Uncommon, Rare
and One-of-a-kind" and an 'R' next to a machine listing being compared
to "***L@@K*** --- RARE --- ONE OF A KIND ITEM YOU'LL **NEVER**
SEE ANYWHERE ELSE!!!".

A fair number of people who visit the site don't really know a lot about
machines older than recent wintel crops - I've tried to present a SIMPLE
indicator as to how common these machines are. It is entirely subjective,
and mostly based on my experience in finding the machine in the first
place, and in locating information about it or references to it. I suppose
I could use "Really Uncommon" but would that really convey any more
information than "Rare".

Rare means "hard to find", not "impossible to find" - my top rating is "One
of a kind", and you may have noticed that it gets applied only to those few
machines which truly deserve it (usually handbuilts).

If I had an Apple-1, Scelibi, Kenbak or a few others, I would add a new
catagory to identify truly-impossible-to-find machines, but so far that
hasn't been an issue :-( - "Rare" seems the most appropriate word to
describe machines which you are unlikely to come across without really
looking for one).

FWIW: None of the machines in my collection are for sale, nor have they
been for sale - on Ebay or any other forum. I have nothing to gain from
"perception management" - I try to represent a fair picture of the artifacts
in my collection for the benefit of interested parties. If you disagree with
any of the information listed on my site, please do contact me with details.
I have revised classifications and other information many times already,
and I have no problem with adjusting the site based on changes to the
information I have available.

Regards,
Dave

What I meant is that I shun the use of "rare" because the abuse of it on eBay & other contexts has rendered the word all but meaningless. Most collectors these days just kinda roll thier eyes a little and mumble something like "uh-huh..."" when they hear the word rare applied (I know I do). There may be some advantage in substituting "hard to find" or "not very common" or some such, as it conveys the same information, but without the stigma that "rare" carries.

--T

Sorry. It was not my intention to upset you.

Regarding six rare units, it probably was a case of misunderstanding. You seem to have listed an 8" CP/M system called Dy4 Orion-V under two categories, and I didn't consider it may be the same three systems listed twice, once under CP/M and once under Canadian. Maybe there are even more of your computers that are listed under several labels?

I agree that there are inflation in how some words are misused in other places, but if "common" should be taken literally as one of my neighbours probably have one, even an old Pentium 200 MHz becomes uncommon in most neighbourhoods. :wink:

Btw, there is a typo in the list: Acorn Atom. The linked page is correct though.

carlsson said:
Sorry. It was not my intention to upset you.

Regarding six rare units, it probably was a case of misunderstanding. You seem to have listed an 8" CP/M system called Dy4 Orion-V under two categories, and I didn't consider it may be the same three systems listed twice, once under CP/M and once under Canadian. Maybe there are even more of your computers that are listed under several labels?

I agree that there are inflation in how some words are misused in other places, but if "common" should be taken literally as one of my neighbours probably have one, even an old Pentium 200 MHz becomes uncommon in most neighbourhoods. :wink:

Btw, there is a typo in the list: Acorn Atom. The linked page is correct though.

I originally had them in a "big list" by (approximate) date - at the request
of a number of people, I decided to break them into catagories - And yes
some machines fit multiple catagories, hence are listed multiple times -
the listings should be identical, and should all point to the same page.

The Dy4's are fairly rare - but only because they were made by a local
company and not very many were produced. I am currently aware of the
location of five of them, although there is likely a few more around.

"Your neighbor has one" is perhaps a big generous, but I think you get
the idea - there's lots of them sitting around in basements and closets.

Thanks for the typo ID. I'll fix it right away.

Regards,
Dave

I like Dave's museum

I like Dave's museum

I sent email, but since you are here, I won't bother with the challenge.

Yours was the first museum I have seen with a big board, which I have one of.

My first (well, second, as I had an OSI C28P which I returned because of the string bug in basic) was a trs-80 model 1. I only bought the 4K keyboard from RS, I bought L2 basic as a repair part, upgraded to 16K, built an S-100 adapter (after being taken by a scam for a non-existant such adapter) and upgraded with S-100 memory cards to 48K and kitbashed an S-100 disk controller to act like the Expanson Interface. I later upgraded to a 48K daughter card in the keyboard, then later cut traces and installed 64K ram chips directly in the keyboard, bank swapping the first 16K which I used as a printer buffer. I also used a PMMI S-100 modem which gave 600 BAUD using the Bell 103 protocol (300 BAUD) when talking to another PMMI modem, also 450 BAUD with some other modems, I think. The modem I just programmed myself.

I don't think I have anything significant that you don't have....non significant items: Commodore Plus4, Franklin Ace 1200 (I think just the ace 1000 plus two built in drives in a hunchback cover), an IBM PS/2 model 25 with the cpu built into the monitor case, a visual 1000 (an 8088 luggable with a 16 line LCD character only display), a sparcstation LX, two sparcstation 2s (non working, hopefully between them I can get one working).. I assume my HP PA-Risc, IBM RS/6000 and SGI Indigo2 are too recent (like the newer sun machines) to be of interest.

Are the old suns operational? I have sevaral 3/60s that come up to rom monitor (monochrome/color displays), and I just recently aquired the install tapes (unknown condition) and I think I have the correct tape drive somewhere. Not having tapes, when I bought a pizza box with a tape drive, tooke the drive out planning to put in a CDROM, but don't recall where I put the tape drive (I never throw things like that out, its in storage somewhere) and there is room for two disk in that box too, but I need to make mounting plates.

Do you have any old networking? I expect to find 10base5 eventually (all i need is the yellow coax), I have 10base2, 10baseFL, FDDI (all with hubs/bridges), two Cisco AGS+ routers plus newer routers. I's love to find 1BaseT (one megabit per second, ethernet protocol, over phone wires) or 10broad36, but have no hopes of that. There was arcnet too, I remember some friends bought that instead of ethernet.

Is an apple 1 REPLICA something you want and is probably possible to find? Or the RCA cosmac ELF/VIP, with the 1802 cpu that was perhaps the most flexible instruction set of its day (and multiprocessor systems could be built with NO additional chips other than the extra CPU chip)? Or hardcopy terminals (decwriter, teletype)?

would an Atari 2600 game with the basic cartridge count as a computer?

Back