• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Any Old Laptop?

I am looking for an old laptop that no one wants anymore. I will gladly pay for the shipping and handling on the machine. I am not looking for anything in paticullar i am a writer and it would be nice to have something to use.

Samantha Taylor

Samantha,

I have an old 100MHz '486 laptop you can have, but it's a mechanic's special. The floppy drive didn't work for a long time, and I recently stripped the hard drive from it as well. Provide another hard drive and it's a great little laptop again. I might even be able to dig up a small hard drive for it, just big enough to run a word processor. You can always use a laplink cable to replace the floppy disk.

--T

EDIT: Ok, I did it...installed a small (60Mb) drive in it for ya. I also installed a fresh copy of DOS and Win 3.1. I forgot to mention that the internal mouse don't work either, but I'm throwing in an external one that works just fine.

--T

You are so nice Terry!

Samantha;

If you ever get the chance to pick up a trs80 model 100 (or 102, or 200), i strongly recommend you do, as it is a writer's dream!

i cannot how incredibly easy it is to use this machine.

too be honest, i can't imagine not having one around. it is so effective for writing.

chris

p.s. and it uses 4 AA batteries!!!!

My weapon-of-choice for writing these days is my Poqet PC. It has completely replaced all the competition in my book. (And it runs on two double-A batteries).

--T

i just went to their site, after you mentioning this computer again.

sure beats the model 100 for size, battery use, and weight.

how easy do you find it to hook up to a printer or transfer data to a desktop pc?

you must admit the model 100 is silly easy to use a printer or transfer of data.

chris

vic user said:
i just went to their site, after you mentioning this computer again.

sure beats the model 100 for size, battery use, and weight.

how easy do you find it to hook up to a printer or transfer data to a desktop pc?

you must admit the model 100 is silly easy to use a printer or transfer of data.

chris

The Poqet PC comes in three different models. The original one is called the "Classic", and a later model is the "Prime", which is the one that I have. The newest model is the "Poqet PC Plus". Mine has a completely proprietary expansion interface that requires special cables for printer and serial ports. I think that the Plus has a real PC-compatible serial port tho. That is the model they are selling at California Digital's website. For data transfers tho, all you really need is another computer with a PCMCIA slot. The memory card can then be transferred between the Poqet and the other machine. This works out very easily for getting stuff into and out of the Poqet.

--T

BTW, if you decide to get one and need a transfer cable, let me know. I might be persuaded to part with mine for a small compensation. I never use it anyways since I also have the floppy disk for it.

I have an old laptop I don't want

I have an old laptop I don't want

I have a Compudyne 486 with a (I think) 40 meg hard drive. It's a Dos laptop with Dos 6.22 installed. The battery is pretty old but still good. I also have the manual for it.

Just guessing, it probably weighs about 10 pounds with the AC adapter.

If you'll send me a private email to barry AT txucom DOT net we can discuss it.

I can't afford the shipping but I won't need any handling charges and I won't charge for the computer. What I do want is the assurance that you'll use it.

Barry

Back