-----
9 Pin D Connector.
2x 3 Pin Jumpers.
Branded: TAXAN KIF3800SP
#555SP
SUPER COLOR GRAPHICS ADAPTOR

No Date on Anything.
Nothing on the Net about it!
I know it was OK, or I wouldn't have kept it!
The best I can get from my CGA monitor is what I would call 'wrong freq lines'.
Depending on the Jumpering, I get either that, or no screen at all.
I have considered EGA (I don't have access to a Monitor), but the Name of the card throws me. If it is EGA, why call it Super CGA?

It's probably (I'm actually positive) a pre-EGA 400 line card. You need a special monitor (Taxan, Tandy cm-1, yada yada) or an early multisync to utilize it. If you want to move it, I'm all years. We could still be close friends ;) if you sent me a digital pic of it either :)

Chris is prolly right. I looked it up in my 1985 Sourcebook, but it doesn't list video cards. Under Taxan, in the Monitor section, I find that Taxan offered at least one 400-line monitor, the Model 440, with a resolution of 740x400 @ a bandwidth of 25MHz. It's logical to assume they made a video card that could drive that monitor.
--T

What is this sourcebook Terry? I remember there used to be a catalog of software years ago, all totally weird scientific and strange accounting items. Dark blue cover the size (nearly) of a telephone book. There would be like dozens and dozens of titles for the Tandy 2000 and TIPC and others. Any clue what I'm talking about?

Chris2005 said:
What is this sourcebook Terry? I remember there used to be a catalog of software years ago, all totally weird scientific and strange accounting items. Dark blue cover the size (nearly) of a telephone book. There would be like dozens and dozens of titles for the Tandy 2000 and TIPC and others. Any clue what I'm talking about?

Actually, the full title is:
Bowker's 1985 Complete Sourcebook of Personal Computing
It's a comprehensive buyer's guide (1050 pages, 2.5" thick) to the state of computing as of 1985. (232 pages are dedicated just to software). 2 - 3 column-inches are given to most entries, and topics include such things as Hardware, Portable Hardware, IBM-compatible Hardware, Peripheral Hardware, Books, Operating Systems, etc. The Taxan monitor entry mentioned above reads:

Model 440. Screen: 12". Display: RGB or Monochromatic, 80 characters x 25 lines. Resolution: 740 x 400. Bandwidth: 25MHz. $995.00.

Bowker's published such anual guides over a period of several years. I used to have the 1984 Sourcebook too (which was only about half as thick), but I gave it to a friend several years ago. It's one of the most valued weapons in my computer collectung arsenal. If you ever get a chance to lay your hands on one, it's cheap at any price. (Mebbe you could turn one up on Amazon or sum'n). Search on ISBN 0-8352-1931-3.

--T

I have a Taxan 775su monitor among my monitor stashes. It has a 9pin
connector and config swiches in back. A 1987 mfg.date. The majority of
EGA connectors I'm acquainted with had a DB15 connector. Can't remember if I ever used it but if I kept it, it was for a reason. Is there a date on the card ?

Lawrence

I know this is a really old thread, but there's one currently on eBay, and this thread is the first thing that comes up when you try to find what the Taxan 555 Super CGA board is. I found a 1985 ad for it, and it's a 25 kHz double-scan (400-line) CGA board, but with only 16K of SRAM, so it can't actually support 640x400 graphics, or any more colors than standard CGA graphics. But it did give you nicer-looking text mode:

taxan.PNG

Back