• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Political Discussions - Helping the Planet

CP/M User said:
Depends on the Hamburger, generally a Big Mac is Tomato Sauce.

CP/M User.

P.S. No Carlsson, there's no confusion about the ketchup, but it's interesting to know that there's more than one ketchup! ;-)

Is that just an Aussie thing, you say tomato sauce and we say tomato ketchup (or toe-mhat-toe)...

Over here, the BigMac is adorned with "SecretSauce", no ketchup.

--T

SecretSauce

SecretSauce

It's been a while since I hit a MickeyD's, is SecretSauce the stuff that tastes like Thousand Island Dressing ?

I wondered about the fries since here the popular topping seems to be tomato ketchup, but I've been places where mayo and malt vinegar are the big favourites.

The only MickeyD sandwich I can think of I've ever seen wih BBQ sauce is a McRib, that prefab-pork sandwich they used to sell. Is that still around, anyway ?

patscc

Re: SecretSauce

patscc said:
It's been a while since I hit a MickeyD's, is SecretSauce the stuff that tastes like Thousand Island Dressing ?

It's supposed to be a secret! (I've also heard the flavor to be likened to fresh, warm, vomit).
I wondered about the fries since here the popular topping seems to be tomato ketchup, but I've been places where mayo and malt vinegar are the big favourites.

Would you like chips with that?
The only MickeyD sandwich I can think of I've ever seen wih BBQ sauce is a McRib, that prefab-pork sandwich they used to sell. Is that still around, anyway ?

patscc

I think they only test-marketed those abominable things in a few areas (thank the ghawds).

--T

"Terry Yager" wrote:

>> Depends on the Hamburger, generally a Big Mac is Tomato Sauce.

>> P.S. No Carlsson, there's no confusion about the ketchup, but it's
>> interesting to know that there's more than one ketchup! ;-)

> Is that just an Aussie thing, you say tomato sauce and we say tomato
> ketchup (or toe-"mhat"-toe)...

Buggered if I know actually, cause some of the sauce on display at the Supermarket is labelled Ketchup. But we're becomming more Americanized everyday - not just in the supermarket, stores, but in the way kids are taught to spell. Becuase people say it's fine to spell a word a certain way, their vertually embracing the American Style - which makes English far worse than what it originally was, but it's always been so broad. Would have been better off with a concise language.

> Over here, the BigMac is adorned with "SecretSauce", no ketchup.

Don't know anything about Maca's having Secret Sauce, I always thought it was the Kentucky Fried Chicken which had their Secrets! So in connection with Politicians, do you think they take the fast food route, just like they try & look for the quick fix?

CP/M User.

Patcc scrawled on the outhouse wall-

>It's been a while since I hit a MickeyD's, is SecretSauce the stuff that tastes like Thousand Island Dressing ?

Good for you avoiding McDeath! I went full time vegetarian about 6 months ago and after seeing the movie "Supersize Me" have decided it was a good idea. No eat meat = no need to go to Micky D's.

The "SecretSauce" is basicly mayo(or mayo like substance), sweet relish and mustard. Thousand Island is supposed to be mayo and chili sauce (and sieved hardboiled egg if you want to get old school about it)

>I wondered about the fries since here the popular topping seems to be tomato ketchup, but I've been places where mayo and malt vinegar are the big favourites.

Believe it or not- fries/chips/pomme frites- are one of those foods common in some form to almost every cultures cuisine. Given that- the toppings tend to be just as regionalised. Mayo tends to be most common in Holland, Denmark, France and some parts of NYC, malt vinegar in the UK, mustards in Germany and Tonkatsu sauce (simliar to but MUCH MUCH better than A1 steak sauce) in Japan.

>The only MickeyD sandwich I can think of I've ever seen wih BBQ sauce is a McRib, that prefab-pork sandwich they used to sell. Is that still around, anyway ?

The McRib is still around in some markets in the US and occsionaly gets trotted out for special promotions.
Trivia- the food service trade name for the patty used in the McRib is a "teddy bear" It started off as an experimental processed food for the US gov't commodity program similar to Oklahoma State Universitie's "flaked beef"- both of which were inspired by the Japanese foodproduct Surimi, commonly marketed in the US as "SeaLegs" and everyones favorite "Krab" (yes- with a K not a C)

Other McD's triva- the special flavor of the fries comes from not the strain of potato (that has to do with sizeing and starch content to limit breakage and promote uniformity of cooking) but from a coating applied durring the manufacturing process. The fries are coated with a light sugar solution with "natural flavors-beef derived" This is done in all markets except for India.
On that note- I just looked at the mcdonaldsinda.com website- I really wish they'd bring some of the veggie items to the US.

Jimmy Buffet said:
I like mine with lettuce and tomato, Heinz-57 and French fried potato, big kosher pickle, and a cold draft beer...

More trivia:
Margueritaville in Key West does not serve Buffet-style cheeseburgers. They just gave me the blank stare when I tried to order one. I had to explain it to the (young) waiter, who'd obviously never heard the song.

--T

shirkahn said:
Good for you avoiding McDeath! I went full time vegetarian about 6 months ago and after seeing the movie "Supersize Me" have decided it was a good idea. No eat meat = no need to go to Micky D's.

Did you know that movie is an *opinion* piece? ie NOT fact? A teacher in Canada proved this by eating only McDonald's for an entire month. And he lost weight. His *only* difference - he exercised 5 hours a week.

Cheers,

Bryan Pope

P.S. In Canada we like Poutine... You take fries just out of the hot oil. Cover them with cheese curds. Then top that with hot gravy. Everything melts down... soooooo goood...

"Terry Yager" wrote:

> More trivia:

> Margueritaville in Key West does not serve Buffet-style cheeseburgers.
> They just gave me the blank stare when I tried to order one. I had to
> explain it to the (young) waiter, who'd obviously never heard the song.

Unfortunately, I don't understand either. I'm assuming "Margueritaville" is the song, if so, how ol' is this song?. Also, who's the artist?

CP/M User.

Margueritaville is a song, by Jimmy Buffet, but it's also a state of mind, as well as a bar in Key West, FL, originated by Buffett, and named in honor of his biggest hit, from somewhere in the '70s. Another best-selling song from the same time-frame was Cheeseburger in Paradise, in which appears the passage quoted above, describing his personal preference in cheeseburgers. Must be an American thing. If you search the web, I'm sure you'll be able to find some samples of JB's music, a unique style which he himself describes as "drunk Carribean rock-n-roll..."

--T

"Terry Yager" wrote:

> Margueritaville is a song, by Jimmy Buffet, but it's also a state of mind,
> as well as a bar in Key West, FL, originated by Buffett, and named in
> honor of his biggest hit, from somewhere in the '70s. Another best-
> selling song from the same time-frame was "Cheeseburger in Paradise",
> in which appears the passage quoted above, describing his personal
> preference in cheeseburgers. Must be an American thing. If you search
> the web, I'm sure you'll be able to find some samples of JB's music, a
> unique style which he himself describes as "drunk Carribean rock-n-
> roll..."

I'm familiar with the name, but don't know his music. Since I usually go though music stores looking at all types of music, I believe I seen this name on a couple of fliped CDs. Mind you they were flipped only because I don't know their brand of music. Don't know how a drunk Carribean rock-n-roll would sound, usually songs with beer & drunks go with country. Our ol' mate Slim Dusty (RIP) was a gem as doing this stuff.

I wonder if Jimmy Buffet has any connection with our music store here in Australia - "JB HI-FI". I just assumed they were Australian, but in these times of confusion, everyone's just about foreign. They seem to get a good deal of music & have imported CDs (which are usually better - cause there's a diverse range of albums, particularly old stuff, which go onto CD & are never released here through distributers). Occasionally, JB would get some good imported stuff worth having.

CP/M User.

I'd be surprised if you hadn't heard the name. It was only a couple of years ago that he had the number one best-selling song of the year, along with, uummmnn...what'sisname... You may have heard it, It's Five O'clock Somewhere. A few years earlier, somewhere in the mid-ninties, I read in Billboard Magazine that he had grossed the most money of any entertainer in outdoor venues for that year. He's still very popular, even after 30-some-odd years.

--T

Terry Yager said:
Is that just an Aussie thing, you say tomato sauce and we say tomato ketchup (or toe-mhat-toe)...
To-may-to, to-maa-to, po-tay-to, po-taa-to.

Now the Frenchies have had their referendum, and the first prognosis is a refusal by 55% of the votes. As far as I understand, it means the treaty should fail and there is no point for the other countries to have their referendums, but it seems that each country will hold it anyway - maybe due to they spent so much tax money on preparations - to let each people express their minds. The 1st of November 2006, all the countries will meet to discuss what to do. Time to get back to the drawing board.

veggies

veggies

shirkahn:Good for you avoiding McDeath! I went full time vegetarian about 6 months ago and after seeing the movie "Supersize Me" have decided it was a good idea. No eat meat = no need to go to Micky D's.

Actually, I used to be a vegetarian when I first came over here, I keep falling of the wagon here.

If the film doesn't do it for you, check out 'Fast Food Nation'
That should do the trick.

patscc

carlsson said:
there is no point for the other countries to have their referendums
Although the treaty has failed, if I understood correctly, officials now are speaking about a 4/5 rule. If 80% of the countries would say yes, there may be some lobbying to make the nay-sayers change their minds. The French celebrated on Place de la Bastille last night, the same place where the French revolution once started.

Maybe this is the first cut to break the too quickly expanding union that (almost) everyone want to be part of. There will probably be very few or no new members until this matter has been solved - sorry Bulgaria, Romania, Croatia, Turkey and so on.

Back