• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Political Discussions - Helping the Planet

CP/M User

Veteran Member
Bit of a pointless thread cause I can't remember what I said (may remember if I put it to screen!). The Funny thing was I said something, something Environmentally based, someone told me not to put Politics into it, which made me think about this Forum & this column. Think it was a slight rant - as Govt. are ignorning what they can be doing to help the planet. Guess it was all about that, after watching a video, they looked at the alternatives with Cars & Power for example, which is good in a way cause you need solutions to problems.

But what got me with that is why don't can't they bring this stuff into effect (not in a couple of years time). What do you think about the Politicans putting the red tape around this? Highly Annoying.

Of course I think there was a joke in there somewhere, I not sure if I recall it being a 'HA HA' joke or just a Joke that they do this!

CP/M User.

It all makes (some) sense, one you realize that the reason you're not a politician is because you found a real job.
Red tape is just people covering their ass.
I don't think the Govt. is ignoring it, I think no one wants to take the first step, for what ever reason.

Think about it. Here we are, relying on fossil fuels. They will run out. Given several hundred million more years, sure, there might be more, but within the next couple of centuries, we'll be dry. But here, no one wants to push legislation to enforce fuel economy on SUVS.
Or, the oil industry. They're basically mining something that we'll run out of. But we can grow all kinds of crap that can be converted to Ethanol, or Bio-diesel. I mean, if you were a company, what would you opt for ? Never ending supply, or will end soon.
Heck, doesn't make any sense to me, but that's probably why I'm not riding my mountain bike in the Patuxant reserve whenever I want to, either.
And before anyone says, you can't run cars on ethanol, all I gotta say is you need to run Super Mods...

Only thing I can think of is why stuff doesn't happen is everyone wants to cover their butt, and make money. And when election time comes, they use fear to pull wool over voters eyes
'oohhh, the depression, oohh, the war, ooohh, the commies, ooohh, the arabs, ooohh, well, I guess in the late 80's/early 90's, Milli Vanilli was the spectre, ooohh, Taliban, ooohh, more arabs, oooh, something else, ooohhh, terrorists...
Always something to scare the voters away from the real issues.

For instance, we've lost how many U.S. citizens to terrorism ?
How about domestic hunger ?( If you think this is bullshit, go visit south Texas)
How about people that can't afford healthcare ?
How about people that are working there ass off at 'minimun' wage, and can bareley eat ?
How about farmer getting crap for their crop because the Govt. can't just bite the bullet and say 'Look, we don't need more wheat. Here's what we can use. Grow this'
How about people the fact that a lot of us working stiffs aren't quite sure what, if anything, we can retire on ?
How about the fact that we're letting huge, mutlinationals, for years getting lots of breaks in taxes, and God knows what else, all of a sudden 'fail', and bow out retirement commitements ?

C'mon, bring it on, let's just all rant on this thread. No such thing as a useless thread.

patscc

Yet another useless rant:

The technology exists today to switch from fossil fuels to infinitely-renewal alcohol, but the oil companies exert too much control over the auto industry for it to ever happen anytime soon. Just think, if cars ran on alcohol, then everybody could grow thier own fuel. Ghawd forbid that might happen! (Besides, some people just might drink some of thier fuel, without UncleSam taking his 75% off the top). What to do? Denature it, of course, regardless that it don't have a flash-point worth a damn that way, at least it becomes undrinkable.
And how much better off would those farmers be if there were actually a market for what they grow?
Ooooo, oooo, ooo, if we don't buy thier oil, all those Arabs might starve, or worse yet, come over here to start up farms to grow sourgum, to make alcohol, then what will happen to our economy?

And who cares about all those starving people in Texas anyway? They ain't even real Americans, and besides, they're starving a lot more slowly here than they would back home in Chihuahua.

--T

"Terry Yager" wrote:

> Yet another useless rant:

It is useless in a way, because the Govt don't come here to read all about it, but at least I can say they are doing all the wrong things.

Companies & people have been looking into the environment & looking at ways of reduction. Possibly this maybe better in someways, but worse in others - after all man has always managed to find one loop-hole which has an negative impact towards something, whatever it maybe.

Worse case senario though which is what I'm looking at, it's going ahead with stuffing up the place by poluting. There's only so far it can take it, & it's better to change before it's too late. Companies should at least addapt to the new ways, just like people are starting to help out as well.

I guess the whole point to this matter is it's selfish to say it won't happen in my lifetime, because that's the kind of attidute which will be everyones downfall. And believe me, I believe we've alread made an impact in some of the poorer countries.

CP/M User.

Of course, if we could drink our own moonshine, legally, and it ain't that hard to make, well, then we all might all end up voting for whoever we thought was funniest, or whatever. Hard to be scared of commies, frogs, Arabs, terrorists, (okay, I moght have the order wrong here ), when I'm worried about gas, jobs, retirement...
Oh, by the way, I'm moving up to WI, I can manage to make beer, any one want to go in on making some 'Shine "
I'm also scared of us. Look at Bhopal. Where's the comapny based ? How many died ? How many have terrorists killed, in comparison ?

patscc

"patscc" wrote:

> Of course, if we could drink our own moonshine, legally, and it ain't that
> hard to make, well, then we all might all end up voting for whoever we
> thought was funniest, or whatever. Hard to be scared of commies,
> frogs, Arabs, terrorists, (okay, I moght have the order wrong here ),
> when I'm worried about gas, jobs, retirement...

> Oh, by the way, I'm moving up to WI, I can manage to make beer, any
> one want to go in on making some 'Shine "

> I'm also scared of us. Look at Bhopal. Where's the comapny based ?
> How many died ? How many have terrorists killed, in comparison ?

Yes, those things aren't too good as well, but in comparision what has the entire planet done thorough neglect? I think it's great most of the countries are agreed the keyoto(?) agreement except for Australia (where I'm based) & the United States. Can't speak for your group, but I'm disappointed by the way the govt. has thrown the idea out the window. It doesn't mean that Australia is overall bad, because there are people in the community just as concerned that we should have agreed. It merely shows the impact one nasty party have come to the conclusion to in reguards to this. People don't seem to have much of a say around here & it's these decisions which go against the us as an community.

Incidently from the reports I've got about the agreement, it would be easy for Australia to have a solution towards this, it would simply be a matter of planting more bushland which can handle the amount of pollution the community put out.

CP/M User.

gas, jobs, retirement...

I quit worrying about gas when carlsson told me how much they pay on his side. We're getting a real bargain.
I don't worry about jobs as long as the Governmant teat is still hemmoraging at the rate it is. When one nipple dries up, two more seem to spring leaks.
I took my retirement back when I was still young enough to enjoy it. Now, I'm just waiting for rigor-mortis to set in.

--T

Well, what I heard, we bowed out of Kyoto because it favored third-word nations. of course, we can't have that, nations we've f**k'd all these years, getting a break ahead of us, so why bother signing ? Who needs trees, anyways ? What's wrong with greenhouse gasses, by the way. Can't we use them to make, like a super sage brush, or strawberry, or Subway pickle, or something ?

patscc

"patscc" wrote:

> Well, what I heard, we bowed out of Kyoto because it favored third-
> word nations. of course, we can't have that, nations we've f**k'd all
> these years, getting a break ahead of us, so why bother signing ? Who
> needs trees, anyways ? What's wrong with greenhouse gasses, by the
> way. Can't we use them to make, like a super sage brush, or
> strawberry, or Subway pickle, or something ?

Okay, well it's not just about the Greenhouse, though there are concerns about Global Dimming which are posted on a number of websites (e.g):

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/content/2005/s1325819.htm
http://www.globalissues.org/EnvIssues/GlobalWarming/globaldimming.asp

are a couple, though, they perhaps relate to one documentary (from the U.K.). Anyway, one explaination I heard believed the weather played a role with these global effects. But this stuff is basically on a much grander scale when it comes from burning coal into the air.

Anyway, in view with the Trees, they play a very important role in reducing these omissions & transfering it back into oxygen. Carbon Dioxide is that they obsorb to produce it back into oxygen, less Trees, the more Carbon Dioxide floating around.

CP/M User.

Speaking about McDonalds, I saw "genuine McDonals Ketchup" on bottle in my food store yesterday. It had the logotype and looked all right. It was produced in Poland. I didn't buy.

"carlsson" wrote:

> Speaking about McDonalds, I saw "genuine McDonals Ketchup" on
> bottle in my food store yesterday. It had the logotype and looked all
> right. It was produced in Poland. I didn't buy.

Don't believe our McDonalds use "Ketchup" in their stuff here, unless it's the same stuff they use for the Sauce.

CP/M User.

CP/M User:Don't believe our McDonalds use "Ketchup" in their stuff here, unless it's the same stuff they use for the Sauce

Here, they put tomato Ketchup on the burgers, especially the cheap ones.
CP/M User, what do they put on the cheap hamburgers in your neck of the woods ? What do you have with fries ?

patscc

Maybe there is a misconception between the ancient fish sauce called ketchup, and the tomato ketchup most of us only refer to as ketchup these days. I don't know about other countries, but where I live, you can fill small containers with tomato ketchup at the same spot as you take your napkins, bags of salt and occassionaly straws. Some McD restaurants also have "fill your own", so you fill your soda by yourself, and a good conscience prevents you from refilling without paying.

Btw, when I refuelled on Saturday, the price was just below 10 SEK per liter for the first time in months. Whooa! Bargain. On the other hand, it is bicycle season for shorter distances.

Back to the thread, was Milli Vanilli really a topic for the election?

In the European Union, each country is about to say yes or no to the new treaty. It is several hundred pages thick, excluding appendices. People who have a clue say that generally it is an improvement over the old legislation. But the treaty will also rebalance the influence of some countries in favor to all the new members from the East. If one country refuses the treaty, it will fail and they have to start over to change or write a new one, a process of several years.

Here comes the twist; in some countries the parliament is the one to decide whether the country should sign, while in other countries a referendum will take place. It is hard enough for the recruited politicians to read through and understand all consequences of a document that is hundreds or even thousands of pages. One could trust a summary someone else made, but how good is it to make an important decision based on what other people told you? In the countries going with a referendum, forces that are against the European Union in its whole take the opportunity to express their views and use it as a way to at least not make the new treaty pass. It is not about that these forces want to change the union to something better, they want at least their country to get rid of it completely.

Last weekend we had the Eurovision Song Contest. This year a total of 39 countries in and around Europe participated. Most countries has a televote to decide how to award the points. In about 70% of the cases, you vote for your neighbour countries out of patriotism, not because the song is remarkably better than any other. This is true for all contestants, from Iceland in the north-west to Israel in the south-east. However, some of the East European countries seem to have more neighbours - or at least being more patriotic - than the West European countries, so the final results promote a fair deal of the Latvian, Romanian, Serbian, Greek etc songs.

Now, what does this have to do with the treaty and referendum? You see, in some West European countries like Holland, people get sick about how East in the last decade has "invaded" the ESC and draw the conclusion that the same will happen on political level in the EU if the treaty is passed. Therefore in a poll, which maybe should not be taken too seriously, the people expressed another reason to refuse the treaty..

I am basically positive to the European Union, but I don't think with so many people involved it is possible to cook up a new legislation that will add even more corruption and benefits for the involved parties. I don't have the time or interest to read through hundreds of pages, so I trust the summary but don't see it is my responsibility - and tax money - to participate in a referendum about something I can't decide. To become a member or not is a different thing, but now we all are part of the "club".

"patscc" wrote:

>> Don't believe our McDonalds use "Ketchup" in their stuff here, unless
>> it's the same stuff they use for the Sauce

> Here, they put tomato Ketchup on the burgers, especially the cheap
> ones. CP/M User, what do they put on the cheap hamburgers in your
> neck of the woods ?

Depends on the Hamburger, generally a Big Mac is Tomato Sauce. Fillet-O-Fish would have Tarta Sauce, Cheese think has Tomato. One of the other burgers has a BBQ Sauce (not the McChicken). Haven't been to Maca's in light years - cause there's better alternatives.

> What do you have with fries ?

Salt?
Drinks?

Those places usually have a combo-deal where you get a Burger of your choice, Fries & a drink (usually Coke). Would imagine it would be the same for any other country which have these American-style quick snack 'er inners.

CP/M User.

P.S. No Carlsson, there's no confusion about the ketchup, but it's interesting to know that there's more than one ketchup! ;-)

P.P.S. Yes, Australia is one of those countries which have no say. It's Bloody Crazy IMO, cause it's fair to get the view from the general public & not from Little Johnny that Buffer's his head when he has a meeting with the Camera.

I don't know if McD's have thier own brand of ketchup, but they do use thier own patented hybrid strain of potato in thier fries. Wouldn't surprise me if they have unique hybrid tomatoes in thier ketchup too.

--T

patscc said:
CP/M User:Don't believe our McDonalds use "Ketchup" in their stuff here, unless it's the same stuff they use for the Sauce

Here, they put tomato Ketchup on the burgers, especially the cheap ones.
CP/M User, what do they put on the cheap hamburgers in your neck of the woods ? What do you have with fries ?

patscc

SecretSauce, of course. Shhhh...it's a secret...

--T

Back