• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Wanna buy some software?

Computer Collector was rumored to have said:

>hmmm,
my avatar and my wish list are both the same thing. Isnt that a funny coincidence!

Just out of curiosity, is that a VT-05?

shirkahn said:
Computer Collector was rumored to have said:

>hmmm,
my avatar and my wish list are both the same thing. Isnt that a funny coincidence!

Just out of curiosity, is that a VT-05?

No, I think it's a Lear-Siegler ADM-3A.

--T

disk rot...............

This is something Ive trained my brain inot believing doesnt exist.

Your making me uncomfortable :cry:

Even old PROM's can suffer from failures. The fusible PROMs if not 'blown' correctly with the exactly correct current would have their fuse links regrow. I think it's a crystalline problem (not real sure). The link would grow and rejoin resulting in the PROM contents being inaccurate. Tandy Model 3 had this problem, about 1 in 1000 M3's had this failure.

Eproms lose their contents too over long periods of time. But if they are in the light and the window not covered they can lose their contents very fast, like over 2 years.

Unfortunately it is the PROMs and EPROMs which contain program content for booting up our machines.

I would recommend for collectors to copy PROM's and EPROM's to other newer devices to ensure that computers will always remain bootable.

It'd be wise to get an old PROM/EPROM copier and keep it and copy all PROM/EPROM's and store them.

The software installed in the PROM's is not available anywhere so it would be impossible to program the PROM again that way. Copies are the only method of saving the contents of old PROMs.

Lots of the Taiwan/Chinese built programmers were really badly designed. The Rolls Royce of programmers was the Data I/O UNISITE. It was very expensive at around $25,000 but it was the best. You can pick up old UNISITEs for a few hundred dollars at auction, or used instrument companies but they are rare.

Back