• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Info about early Flightsim Programs (1975-1985)

FlightSim Historian

Let me first introduce myself: I am Jos Grupping, webmaster of the Flight Simulator History website. I am interested in information about the early development (1975-1985) of flight simulation on the (micro)computer. THis includes any sort of information: magazine articles, reviews, ads, pictures or other. If you want to know more about the context, please click the link above.

Recently I came across a review in "Creative Computing" (March 1981) about subLOGIC FS1 for the Apple II. But there must have been numerous other articles, reviews and ads in this magazine or others of that time like "Microcomputing", "Popular Computing", Byte, Antic and such. If you own copies of computer magazines from that period of time, please scan the contents to find out of they contain that kind of information and send me a note.

I am in the first place interested in the information and not in a copy of the magazine as such, so a well readable scan (150 or 300 dpi) would be nice. I also value any mention of the existence af such information. If costs are involved, that can be an issue for discussion.

Thanks in advance for your help.

there's a great article about the creation of a flight sim for the vic 20 which later got ported to the C64, and it is written by the porgrammer himself.

i can't for the life of me rember the title of the game, but i will try and hunt down the article for you.

chris

Bowker's 1985 Complete Sourcebook of Personal Computing said:
Flight Simulation. (Sinclair Research Ltd)
Popular Computing 2:9, July 1983, p. 204
--Timex Sinclair User 1, p. 15

Flight Simulator. (Microsoft Corp)
Byte 9:3, March 1984, p. 224
--Family Computing 1:2, October 1983, p. 98
--Personal Software 1:1, November 1983, p. 118
--Personal Software 2:8, August 1984, p. 56

Flight Simulator. (Timex)
Family Computing 1:1, September 1983, p. 95

Flight Simulator, Version 2.0 (Microsoft Corp)
PC: The Independant Guide to IBM Personal Computers 3:19, October 02, 1984, p. 269

The above are references to magazine reviews. I'll look some more to see if there other articles.

--T

Reviews, ads etc.

Reviews, ads etc.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the quick replies. I found and copies the article about the IFR flight simulator. Never heard of it before. But very interesting indeed.

Maybe there is one thing to clera up: I am not so much interested in copies of the flight simulation programs as such, but rather in reviews, discussion, ads etc. about the programs. There is mention of articles, written by Bruce Artwick (before 1980) about the concept of Flight Simulation on the computer. Boy, would I like to read that!

My focus is mainly on the time between 1975 and 1982. Like on the developments on the PLATO network of the University of llinois that no doubt must have inspired Bruce Artwick when developing Flight Simulator.

Jos G.

Back