• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

This is not a 5150, is it?

and it looks like that's just what you have Terry, a militarized PC. I know someone who has the system unit, sans p/s I think (the last time I saw him). Maybe I should grab it. hmmm

Chris2005 said:
uhhh, militarized pc monitor that is. You'd know better then me though.

Unfortunately, it ain't in working condition. I'm gonna try gutting-out a regular 5153 someday, and install it into the Industrial shell (at least, I think that'll work).

--T

don't zap yourself, but it might be worthwhile to take a peak inside. If the tube is still good, and hopefully the transformers, it could just need a minor component repair.

Most of the IBM monitors I've seen have an internal connection for the monitor cable, usually attached as if it's supposed to be an FRU to a monitor technician. I've seen the old G40 and and PS/2 cables, maybe there's a way to swipe a cable from a 5153.

Mad-Mike said:
Most of the IBM monitors I've seen have an internal connection for the monitor cable, usually attached as if it's supposed to be an FRU to a monitor technician. I've seen the old G40 and and PS/2 cables, maybe there's a way to swipe a cable from a 5153.

Yah, dot's what I'm hoping...

--T

just checking back Terry. Wondering where you got with the monitor. Would like to see you get it running

And if the person with the funky 5150 could repost the picture I'd sore appreciate it. Was at that dude's house yesterday. He has the empty shell of a military style 5150, and he thinks a whole one somewhere. I'm going to unload this guy's whole house one of these days...for real. Got to set up a storage area fer it though. Picked up an IBM AT, Compaq portable II, and a Sony SMC-70** ... can't remember yesterday though. I love all this crap so much sigh.

Chris2005 said:
just checking back Terry. Wondering where you got with the monitor. Would like to see you get it running

And if the person with the funky 5150 could repost the picture I'd sore appreciate it. Was at that dude's house yesterday. He has the empty shell of a military style 5150, and he thinks a whole one somewhere. I'm going to unload this guy's whole house one of these days...for real. Got to set up a storage area fer it though. Picked up an IBM AT, Compaq portable II, and a Sony SMC-70** ... can't remember yesterday though. I love all this crap so much sigh.

I'd like to repost it but it was a link to a auction site- and they removed the ad :(

Jorg said:
Chris2005 said:

I'd like to repost it but it was a link to a auction site- and they removed the ad :(

It may take a few weeks ,but I'll let ya know what I come up with (got a couple other projects ahead of that one).

--T

I was surprised to find in the IBM Series 1 minicomputer sales literature that the 5150 was included as part of the Series 1 "as the entry-level Series 1" and there are pictures of early variations which I believe the system associated with this post is included (Based on your descriptions, the pic is gone). (I believe) Before IBM caught on that the 5150 was going to be a successful home/business computer there were a number of variations floating around that they were marking to different niches until they standardized the design. There were different types of displays and disp. cards also. I have not researched the web to see if these part numbers I have in the Series 1 docus are listed anywhere publicly, I assumed that they were and have not taken the time to put 'em up.

For example, there is a video card called an "mcga" that was only compatible with an mcga monitor (I forget the part number). I have seen one or two of these in my early work days. They look just like the regular cga except they have more of a green tint to the glass when powered off.

My 2 cents.

Isn't MCGA famous for its 256 colour mode? I remember it was really easy to program and was supported by VGA cards. Many DOS games ran in this graphic mode, IIRC. So while the graphic card itself might have been a rarity, its graphic capacity lived through naming a mode after it.

carlsson said:
Isn't MCGA famous for its 256 colour mode? I remember it was really easy to program and was supported by VGA cards. Many DOS games ran in this graphic mode, IIRC. So while the graphic card itself might have been a rarity, its graphic capacity lived through naming a mode after it.

Yes, thats how I remember it too. Never seen an original card tbh.

/ aha:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MCGA

"The 256-color mode in VGA was sometimes referred to as MCGA even though MCGA only existed on the PS/2. No MCGA cards were ever made."

I know for sure that I installed IBM mcga cards into IBM XT computers for special IBM monitors with "mcga" on them. They looked like 5153 monitors. I remember at the time having trouble finding an mCGA monitor so most of these cards were "discarded". This was at DuPont in Wilm Delaware. Of course I do not have the physical proof, but you can trust me :)

Now I have a mission. Wikipedia is wrong in my opinion.

billdeg said:
I know for sure that I installed IBM mcga cards into IBM XT computers for special IBM monitors with "mcga" on them. They looked like 5153 monitors. I remember at the time having trouble finding an mCGA monitor so most of these cards were "discarded". This was at DuPont in Wilm Delaware. Of course I do not have the physical proof, but you can trust me :)

Now I have a mission. Wikipedia is wrong in my opinion.

Wikipedia is wrong often- I see it as a status of the general opinion- valid until someone with more knowledge (eg you ;) ) comes by- so indeed, you got a mission :)

Because it wasn't a monochrome MGA or MDA card? :wink: As far as I can find, the only references to MCGA as a graphics card are the PS/2 ones, and one site mentioned that it only was available in MCA bus flavour. If I'm not mistaken, the IBM XT uses ISA bus or its predecessor?

On the other hand, PS/2 model 25 and 30 use ISA bus, so if it came with or offered a MCGA card separately rather than integrated on the mother board, it might be possible to install those cards in other IBM PCs too..

The IBM PS/2 Model 30 came in two types: One is an XT, the other a 286.
http://www.walshcomptech.com/ps2/mod30.htm

The Models 25, 30, & 30/286 all have the MCGA adaptor integrated on the mainboard. They can use a standard VGA monitor (the model 25 has the monitor built-in).

--T

In response to BillDeg's comment on the various niches for PCs ...

I always thought that the options on the PC and XT from IBM were pretty clear. IBM did not have many different ways to market these things. Usually there was an entire new model to fit a niche market. Here are the ones I know of:

IBM PC: This is the 5150 with three different BIOS versions
IBM XT: This is the 5160 with two different BIOS versions
XT/3270: Extra cards and different keyboard for 3270 connectivity to mainframes
XT/370: Built in IBM 370 emulator
AT/.370: Built-in IBM 360 emulator

There was an industrial model of the PC, XT and AT - this was just a different case designed for the rigors of industrial use.

There were not a lot of variations on these machines. In the era of the PC and XT IBM had a set number of very well documented options. Here are the common ones:

- Monochrome graphics and printer adapter card
- CGA card
- Memory cards
- Async card
- SDLC, Bisync, and other weirdo comm cards

For an XT you had the hard drive controller and a 10MB hard drive, plus extra slots on the mother board. But basically it's a PC.

For PCs and XTs you could also hook up the expansion chassis (5161) for additional cards and hard drives.

It really was a pretty limited universe.

With the intro of the AT you had the EGA card, new hard drive options (20 or 30MB, and 0, 1 or 2 drives), 16 bit memory cards, 16 bit hard disk controller, and a revised floppy controller that supported the 1.2MB drives and dropped the external connector for external floppy drvies. But even on an AT you could use the existing 16 bit cards, with the exception of the memory cards. CGA, Mono, Async, etc. would all work.

IBM generally left niche-marketing to business partners. Or worse, clone manufacturers. :)

Just a quick update. Earlier in this thread, I stated that I'd never seen an Industrial-Grade IBM PC/XT. Well, now I have, in fact, I found one in ComputerHell yesterday. Inside, it's pretty standard IBM parts, etc. In appearance, it's quite different from the standard XT. It has a door that opens up to reveal the drives. It is badged as an Allen-Bradley, Manufactured by IBM. I'll try and get some pictures posted later.

--T

Back