• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

no more radio shack? :(

The original name, back in the 60s, was Tandy Leather Company. I remember ordering stuff from them for various Scout projects. They sold like wallet kits and such. Leathercraft was a merit badge or sum'n. (I still remember how to tool leather).

--T

Tandy leather company

Tandy leather company

Terry Yager said:
The original name, back in the 60s, was Tandy Leather Company. I remember ordering stuff from them for various Scout projects. They sold like wallet kits and such. Leathercraft was a merit badge or sum'n. (I still remember how to tool leather).

--T

Tandy Leather company is still around. I saw a Tandy Leather store in Louisville when I was there a few years back.

The guy who founded Radio Shack was an heir to the Tandy Leather "fortune," and that provided his seed money, but the two companies were always separate AFAIK.

Coleco was also a leather company before they got into toys and home electronics. It was CO-nnecticut LE-ather CO-mpany.

Well, if a bunch of doctors can invest money to develop a new computer, I suppose a company in the leather business could move on computers as well. While the industry may have had obvious connections to electronics and mechanical items, it seems that pioneers in computing came from many different directions.

carlsson said:
Well, if a bunch of doctors can invest money to develop a new computer, I suppose a company in the leather business could move on computers as well. While the industry may have had obvious connections to electronics and mechanical items, it seems that pioneers in computing came from many different directions.

The need for capital can make for strange bed-fellows...(even stranger than politics sometimes).

--T

Heh. One should compile a list of the ten biggest geeks or businessmen in the computer industry through time, and ask women which of them they had preferred to sleep with, given they were of matching age. I wonder if Steve Jobs would win that poll?

ISTM Woz is the one with more charisma. He'd probably win out over Jobs.
Hmmmn...I wonder, if Bill Gates and Gary Kildall had got into a fight, who would've won?

--T

"Terry Yager" wrote:

> Hmmmn...I wonder, if Bill Gates and Gary Kildall had got into a fight,
> who would've won?

Gary of course. It's a bit hard to fight in your grave though, so Gates wins
by default. I'm sure Gazza would have been a fight dirty type though &
those nerds can't really defend themselves Did you ever see the Pie
Gates Film?!?

CP/M User.

The way I always heard it is "He who dies with the most toys wins." (I agree tho, Gary coulda kicked Gates' wimpy ass without even breaking a sweat). Probably coulda drank him under the table too, being the two-fisted drinker he was (oh wait, isn't that how he died...by falling off his barstool? (done there, been that...got the stitches in my chin to prove it))...

--T

Back