• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

World Cup 2006 (Germany, soccer)

carlsson

Veteran Member
The final qualifiers for the 2006 football (soccer) world cup are currently playing. I just saw the second leg of Australia - Uruguay live on Eurosport. That's quite cool. It seems the winning team from the Australia and Oceania group always plays the 5th team from South America, and almost everytime it is Australia - Uruguay.

The game went into extra time and penalties after a combined score of 1-1. And what a penalty shoot-out! The Uruguyans seemed much insecure and under a lot of boo's from the huge crowd in Sydney. The Aussies were more distinct in their shooting, except for the captain Viduka who even missed the goal. I really liked the one hand boxing save by the Aussie goalkeeper on the second last penalty from Zalayeta (Uruguay/Juventus).

So, congrats to Australia to reach the world cup. Sweden is already there, as are the following countries: Angola, Argentina, Brazil, Costa Rica, Côte d'Ivoire, Croatia, Ecuador, England, France, Germany, Ghana, Holland, Iran, Italy, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Paraguay, Poland, Portugal, Saudi Arabia, Serbia and Montenegro, Togo, Tunisia, USA and Ukraine.

Three more European countries are finishing their qualifiers tonight. Out of those, Spain seems already through with a 5-1 lead over Slovakia, but I suppose Norway on the road has a slim chance to turn 0-1 vs Czech Rep and Turkey at home may actually turn 0-2 vs Switzerland.

The 32nd and last spot will be decided in a playoff between Bahrain and Trinidad and Tobago, also playing today. The first match ended 1-1, so Bahrain will go through on a win or a 0-0 draw.

By the way, I had no idea that Coca-Cola is sponsoring international football to the degree that these days national teams are ordered by the FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking. Yahoo is also an official partner, but I suppose they didn't pay enough money to make it FIFA/Yahoo World Cup. :D

wow, Australia finally made it out of the playoffs :)

i shouldn't say anything, as canada has only made it once.

the matchup that will be interesting too is Trinidad and Tobago vs. Bahrain.

many teams this time that have never been to the finals!

chris

vic user said:
holy smokes T&T made it in!

i thought for sure Bahrain would advance, considering they were playing at home

chris

They have the worlds second best coach :p

Yeah, yeah, the lucky country got in this time round.

What's with the supporters?!?
The media wanted to show all the drunk supporters - prior to the game.

Oh yeah, the media decide to mention Mr. Harry Keel now that he won the
game for them or something.

CP/M User.

I read something about Bahrain was robbed a goal in the last minute, when the T&T keeper missed the kick off and Bahrain stole the ball. I didn't see the game, so I dunno.

Trinidad and Tobago by the way is the smallest country, population wise, to make it to the World Cup ever. About 1.1 million inhabitants.

Tough game TUR-SUI too. Switzerland SUI took an early 0-1 lead, Turkey turned it into 3-1 and played for a fourth goal to take them through when Switzerland scored 3-2. Turkey scored once more in the last minute, but 4-2 was not good enough as the combined score 4-4 meant Switzerland still went through on away goals. Remember Turkey was the lucky bronze medalist vs Korea last time.

Next stop is December 9th, when the seeding for groups will take place.

wow, that tur sui game sounds like a wicked one to have watched!

i am surprised that turkey made a goal of it based on the first leg.

i thought for sure that switzerland would make it through without a scare.

i wonder how sales of toblerone's are, in Istanbul right now.

chris

vic user said:
.lately my preference has run towards Old Florida 151 (a very under-rated rum).

i only have rum around xmas, with a bit of egg nog.

hope that i haven't offended real rum drinkers.

chris

I think Old Florida is under-rated because it's so cheap (<$4.00 for a half-pint). (Most stores don't even carry it). The other 151-proof rums (Bacardi or DonQ) taste like cough syrup to me, but the OF tastes like rum! I don't want a drink that tastes like medicine! (Yeech!).

--T

i'm with you there Terry.

in my teens, southern comfort was real popular with my peers.

when i tried it, i thought it tasted just like cough syrup.

disgusting

chris

I usually drink beer, because I like the taste of beer, but occaisionally, I get a hankerin' for a rum-and-Coca-Cola (and I could eat Patty Andrews "For Seafood, Mama!").

--T

vic user said:
i'm with you there Terry.

in my teens, southern comfort was real popular with my peers.

when i tried it, i thought it tasted just like cough syrup.

disgusting

chris

I've found that Southern Comfort only really tastes good if it's cut 50/50 with pure White Lightnin'...(a substance-of-abuse-of choice among residents of "Cow-Town" (Texas)).

--T

I have vague memories of a "LostWeek" in Dallas/Fort Worth, spent in the company of the heir to the Campbell's Soup fortune. He picked me up hitch-hiking somewhere near San Antone', and drove me all the way to Dallas, which was his final destination. He invited me to his place for lunch, which I accepted. Well, when we got to his family's huge mansion, "lunch" consisted of him pulling out two one-gallon milk jugs of clear liquid, and two quarts (yes, it came in quarts back then, not fifths) of Southern Comfort. He then got out a couple of tall tumblers (about 16 ounces, I'd guess) and filled each half-way with the moonshine, and topped each off with the SC. He said "This is the way we drink it in Texas." That's the last clear rememberance I have of the next seven days, except for a couple of snatches here-and-there, like being in downtown Dallas, seeing all kinds of people pouring out from all these giant office buildings, and acting like little children in the first substantial snowfall that most of them had ever seen (Biggest snow in over 50 years in Dallas/Ft. Worth...four inches, and it stayed for four days). It was funny, watching all those people in full-dress buisness suits, etc, building snowmen in the middle of the street, having snowball fights, etc. (Of course, driving was treacherous, cauze nobody had a klew how to drive on slick stuff). I also remember eating the very best cheeseburgers in my life during that week, but can't for the life of me recall the name of the restaurant.

--T

Back