World Cup 2006 (Germany, soccer)

carlsson said:
vic user said:
Jorg said:
vic user said:
holy smokes T&T made it in!
They have the worlds second best coach :p
is he dutch too?
Leo Beenhakker, a rather suitable name to be mentioned on a vintage computer forum. Maybe even better if his name had been Stillishakker.

Beenhakker would have to be translated as Bonecrusher, literally. (Probably originating from a butcher like profession of his anchestors).

There will be four dutch coaches at the WC, with Holland, Australia, Trinidad and South Korea. There is one country more with a dutch coach but they didn't qualify.

The World Cup draw, in play order:

Group A: Germany - Costa Rica - Poland - Ecuador
Group B: England - Paraguay - Trinidad & Tobago - Sweden
Group C: Argentina - Ivory Coast - Serbia Montenegro - Netherlands
Group D: Mexico - Iran - Angola - Portugal
Group E: Italy - Ghana - USA - Czech Rep
Group F: Brazil - Croatia - Australia - Japan
Group G: France - Switzerland - Korea - Togo
Group H: Spain - Ukraine - Tunisia - Saudi Arabia

It seems that group C is the "group of death", which means Argentina again were placed in a very tough group and if they are unlucky might fail to advance. Group E is also a very hard one, although on paper Italy and Czech Rep should go through unless in particular USA show some extra strength.

I think groups D, G and H are about equally either "easy" or single-sided. In particular the Spain group might be very open to tell which two teams advance.

True. I don't know how strong the Dutch team are these days, but in the worst turn of events, both teams can be in a bit of trouble. The two last games of that group also are Netherlands - Argentina and Côte d'Ivore - Serbia & Montenegro, both played at 4 PM.

i think group e is pretty tough as well.

personally, i would prefer to have my team in a tough group rather than an easy group.

it forces your team to start hard right off the bat and will prepare them for the knockout stage.

a team like spain i think could be unprepared for the knockout stage, since they are in such an easy group.

regardless, there are some mouth watering matchups in the group stage!

chris

group E

group E

i think group e is pretty tough as well.

You know, I was thinking the same thing.
I suspect group E will have some interesting matches.

but I've got a funny feeling that Ukraine and Saudi Arabia are going to be tougher for Spain than most are expecting. Although I wouldn't bet much on it. ;)

vic user said:
personally, i would prefer to have my team in a tough group rather than an easy group.
Tell that to someone from Buenos Aires! I don't think any group would be dead easy, even for a team like Brazil. The benefit from "being in hot air" from the beginning may be negated by the risk of early injuries and suspensions due to playing intensive matches only to go through.

Terry Yager said:
I think Old Florida is under-rated because it's so cheap (<$4.00 for a half-pint). (Most stores don't even carry it). The other 151-proof rums (Bacardi or DonQ) taste like cough syrup to me, but the OF tastes like rum! I don't want a drink that tastes like medicine! (Yeech!).

--T

I like Jagermiester.. :) Which many people say tastes like "Vicks 44" (A type of cough syrup) And I like to sip it instead of shoot it so I can enjoy the taste... But it does have to be served very cold!

Cheers,

80sFreak

But Jagermeister ain't rum, and besides I believe most drunk supporters on a game drink beer or the cheapest other alcohol they can find. Perhaps some do get pissed on Jager though. I'll never forget that 16 year old guy who wanted a good alcohol/price ratio and bought himself a bottle of Jagermeister, found that it tasted terrible and then tried to mix it with orange juice (!), found that it tasted even worse but somehow forced himself to drink it.

mmmm

mmmm

I used to make a drink in University that I named the Schwarzjäger:

two parts Black Death Vodka
one part Jägermeister.

The second one tatstes great!

I don't drink beer, but I've read that if you have one good one, the following ones can be almost any brand and you can't tell the difference or complain.

carlsson said:
I don't drink beer, but I've read that if you have one good one, the following ones can be almost any brand and you can't tell the difference or complain.

I don't drink "good" beer, but that statement doesn't hold true for the cheap sh!t that I do drink. Often I will run out of beer after my favorite store has closed, and I'll be forced to buy an alternate brand from an alternate store. Even half-drunk, I can tell the difference...

--T

god, i haven't drank a beer in ages, but an upper canada wheat or a grasshopper, chilled almost to the point of ice crystals forming, is wicked!

chris

Back