• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

It's only fun until someone loses an eye...

Re: It's only fun until someone loses an eye...

"Terry Yager" wrote:

> Check out these dangerous items that people have tried smuggling
> aboard planes:

Yeah. Thought there would have been a bit more variety.

How many types of corkscrews are there?

Hundreds of thousands/Millions?

Or are they only collecting a certain type?

CP/M User.

"Terry Yager" wrote:

> Looks like they're focusing thier collection on stainless steel folding
> ("pocket") units.

Well hang on look at this:

Ships to: Worldwide

And:

Shipping, payment details and return policy
Shipping Cost
US $7.70
Services Available
US Postal Service Priority Mail®
Available to
United States Only

Will ship to Worldwide.

What does that mean? Surely they can't fly this stuff out of town?

Won't this hot stuff simply be picked up again if it is?

And what does this mean it's Available to United States Only, when it specifies below that they'll ship this stuff Worldwide?

Very Odd. I sure wouldn't want to be getting anything from this person.

CP/M User.

And what does this mean it's Available to United States Only, when it specifies below that they'll ship this stuff Worldwide?

Very Odd. I sure wouldn't want to be getting anything from this person.

i see that a lot in descriptions of items i am interested in, and i bid anyway, and so far have had no problems at all.

chris

You can carry most any corkscrew, pair of scissors, knife or perhaps even an unloaded gun in your checked luggage. It is the items you bring onboard as hand luggage that will get scanned for dangerous items. Therefore, if the seller wraps a package and declares what it contains, I see no reason for security to stop it from being delievered by air.

What I object about is that in many airports you get your boarding pass, check your luggage, go through security and then on the "inside" there are restaurants and shops which sell alcohol among other things. Dunno if they sell small scissors, but probably not. If someone wants to create a dangerous situation onboard the airplane, just buy a small bottle of alcohol and put it in your handbag which will not be checked when you board the plane. Once onboard, it is a simple task to smash off the neck and voila you have a very dangerous weapon, much more efficient than any cork screw or pair of nail scissors in the world.

Ah, don't mind me, I'm just sorta venting. I'm still sore about having to abandon my pocket-knife on a trip to DC a few years back. It was a small (1.5" blade?) Case Jr. Stockman that I'd carried for over 20 years, including onto planes in the past. I just think they're going a little too far these days.

--T

Terry Yager said:
Ah, don't mind me, I'm just sorta venting. I'm still sore about having to abandon my pocket-knife on a trip to DC a few years back. It was a small (1.5" blade?) Case Jr. Stockman that I'd carried for over 20 years, including onto planes in the past. I just think they're going a little too far these days.

--T
Took a day trip up the coast of Maine to Eastport and Lubec, And we decided to cross the bridge to Campabello Island ,which is in Canada The Island was the summer home of FDR. Not a bit of problem going over. asked for a photo ID and said have a nice day! Coming back was a different story.
There's a four foot by eight foot sign that says stop on the white line, which is what I was trying to do :roll: and I didn't see the custom agent holding out his hand because he was on the other side of his litttle shack talking to his buddy that must have been leaving.... Do you know what I had to do to get back in the States. :x " This means stop" he rants as he holds up his hand, palm out "and before you leave here you WWWIIILLL know what this means" Well whenever I see a palm out from now on I will get out my toolbox and practice rebuilding my car (Detroit assembly line couldn't have helped),Even broke down the spare tire. Not to mention the personal attention I got. But my wife got a free coffee and chatted with the other people for 45 minutes while I learned what his hand signal meant. He definitely must have Known what my hand signal meant!!!

I'm surprised that the flight security still allows false (acrylic) nails - or rather, I assume they do. Properly reinforced, they might work just as well as your pocket knife.

Back to CP/M's question on the eBay auction; I believe the seller means that for buyers within the US, he prefers USPS priority mail, and in case someone elsewhere will win the auction, the means of shipping will be determined individually. Apparently USPS doesn't ship internationally?

Coming back was a different story.

good god, that custom guy sure sounded like he thinks he's king shit.

but i guess with a hand picked side arm and post 9/11 mentality, he is king shit.

chris

I read that American airlines will start to allow small sharp objects in your hand luggage again, starting on December 22nd. Scissors up to 10 cm and other sharp objects like screwdrivers and pliers up to 17 cm. This is due to the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) believe it is more important to put efforts in preventing anyone from carrying explosives onboard.

The regulations with the EU are that sharp objects longer than 6 cm are still forbidden in hand luggage. Some very small pocket knives and small scissors might actually fit into that measurement.

CP/M User said:
How many types of corkscrews are there?
According to a cork screw collector and enthusiast, there are twelve different types of cork screws, and more than 52,000 known models within these types.

"carlsson" wrote:

> According to a cork screw collector and enthusiast, there are twelve
> different types of cork screws, and more than 52,000 known models
> within these types.

How on earth did you find that out?!?

CP/M User.

I read it in a magazine some months ago. Systembolaget, the state monopoly alcohol stores have a customers' magazine, and in their latest issue there was an article about how hard it can be to open some bottles, cans and boxes. They quoted a cork screw collector, and gave some tips what to do if the cork breaks in half when you try to pull it.

Dangerous Weapon aboard an airplane?? Heres a phrase I never thought I would here... "Stand Back! He's got a cork screw!!!!!" I wonder if someone brandished a cork screw, if the Air Marshals would draw their weapons, or just laugh at the moron? ( I'm thinking both.)

-Vlad

Yeah, If the guy was already some what drunk, it would be easier to knock them over to get the bottle away from them....

-Vlad

Back