• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by Al Kossow

1. Al Kossow

Virtual file system library for retro filesystems?

Not really. Have you ever looked at the code?
  2. Al Kossow

Alpha Micro AM-100/L and related boards

not shure how I missed this, yes I'm still looking though it has been pushed way down the project stack
  3. Al Kossow

Where are all the SCSI2SD devices? Is this because of the chip shortage?

It is a truly awful design. I left their discord after they clearly care about 'cheap' and not 'works'
  4. Al Kossow

They may have found (most of) the Apple 1 Prototype Board

my pet theory.. it was done by someone that is left-handed. the cut was done with a hacksaw from the back, they sawed through a bit of the ceramic cap if that is true, the way the cut was made would have made sense for someone holding the saw in their left hand
  5. Al Kossow

AT&T UNIX PC enthusiasts out there?

one can only hope they kept a copy of the sources
  6. Al Kossow

an analysis of how the board was broken on twitter
  7. Al Kossow

MIT CADRs are probably up there as well. I don't know of any having sold recently though. Just a CADR keyboard is probably in the top 10. A Twiggy Mac would may bump the Lisa out of third place. Twiggy Mac drives are impossible to find (they aren't the same as a Lisa Twiggy)
  8. Al Kossow

A Xerox Alto, if you are talking about a personal computer. Twiggy Lisas are third, with prices in the low five-figures. I can't think of anything outside of the insane home video game collector space where things are six figures or up.
  9. Al Kossow

"advances were being measured in months or even weeks" fast forward 50 years, and thanks to the web that has been cut down to literally minutes worldwide. I was there then, and maybe if you were in the Valley or Boston, word of mouth spread in days, but turn around time was literally waiting for...
  10. Al Kossow

Dumping magnetic tapes?

"3D printer with the bed set to 40c" will not do a damn bit of good without air circulation other than warping the reel
  11. Al Kossow

Dumping magnetic tapes?

> A tape glued itself to the head I hope there is nothing on the tapes that matters I've been doing this for decades, and it really annoys me when amateurs make the same mistakes. Google "cyclomethicone"
  12. Al Kossow

Dumping magnetic tapes?

https://github.com/brouhaha/tapeutils/ just beware that SCSI tape drives do not recover the data inside of a bad block use the smallest blocking factor you can to avoid good physical blocks getting lost if one block is bad
  13. Al Kossow

Oldest still-in-use bus?

Prolog STD 56-pin? Don't know if cards are still made, though.
  14. Al Kossow

PDP11 H785 Regulator Drawings ??? (Part of H765)

http://bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/powerSupply/MP00272_H785_Field_Maint_Printset_197612.pdf