• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by Anonymous Coward

1. Anonymous Coward

Classic 8X Plain IDE CD-ROM Drives

Not really sure what is meant by "plain IDE". I think I heard there exist IDE CD-ROM drives that are not ATAPI, though I've never encountered one. Perhaps this is what the poster is looking for?
  2. Anonymous Coward

Getting back into older PC's with my first 486 Build in almost 30 years

It's easy enough to know if the cache timings can be adjusted or not...just check in the CMOS setup. It's not like we're dealing with exotic stuff here. AMI Color BIOS and OPTi 491 are pretty well understood. I used to buy cache memory on eBay, but this was many years ago. People I talk to...
  3. Anonymous Coward

I checked the part numbers for those cache chips. They really are 35ns. https://www.datasheetbank.com/pdf-view/MS62256A-Mosel-Vitelic For a 33MHz 486, that's pretty rough. Normally at 33MHz, nothing slower than 20ns is used. It would be unfortunate to alter the original condition of this...
  4. Anonymous Coward

Maybe it's just my imagination, but is the cache memory really 35ns? That seems awfully slow for a 486. I think the slowest I've ever seen is 25ns.
  5. Anonymous Coward

Kaypro Personal Computer

The grill on this thing sure is weird. It gives the illusion that something heavy caused the left side of the case of cave in.
  6. Anonymous Coward

Undocumented XT286 motherboard

Unfortunately, I don't own this board. The seller who had it already sold it to someone else, and I probably won't be able to find out who the new owner is. I had heard that the IBM AT had sold in France quite a bit later than in North America, so it's possible that the XT-286 continued on past...
  7. Anonymous Coward

Undocumented XT286 motherboard

I recently came across some photos of an XT286 which I initially thought had an aftermarket motherboard installed due the presence of an integrated chipset. However, on closer inspection the board appears to be manufactured by IBM. Unlike normal 5162 boards it has no SIMM slots and four rows of...
  8. Anonymous Coward

Unstable (but lovely) 286 clone

On this motherboard, are the ISA slots running off the same clock as the CPU? If you run in de-turbo mode (I assume 6 or 8MHz), does the data corruption problem go away?
  9. Anonymous Coward

Sound Blaster Support

Did you hear a little ringy dingy? On the ESS cards, even if you don't have SB16 compatibility, you can still use WSS which is 16-bit. From what I understand the 16-bit samples used in a lot of games were of very low quality anyway. Some of the clone cards were pretty solid. I second ESS.
  10. Anonymous Coward

486 CPU questions

This computer also appears to have no L2 cache. Adding it will be hard since it uses one of those weird Intel cache modules. Maybe an AMD 5x86 would be the way to go, since at least you'll have 16kb L1 to work with.
  11. Anonymous Coward

486 CPU questions

The 40MHz one is the one you need to replace. I'd desolder it, and put a socket in its place, that way you can revert back easily if need be. If just stepping the bus speed up to 25MHz, it's unlikely that you'll be running anything very far out of spec. 8MHz is usually what ISA runs at, but...
  12. Anonymous Coward

486 CPU questions

The clock signal should come either from a crystal oscillator or a clock generator. If you have sufficient soldering skills, it's probably possible to modify the board for a 25 or 33MHz bus.
  13. Anonymous Coward

Sanyo CD-ROM drive ROM-4005U

I guess that would make sense. I believe there was a special relationship between Sanyo and Matsushita...I think I heard that the founders of both companies are brothers.
  14. Anonymous Coward

Ramquest 8/16 SIMM compatibility

It's been a really long time since I tested mine, but I am somewhat confident that the 3-chip 30-pin SIMMs I tried on mine were not detected. Go for 9 chip to be safe. You got a hell of a lot of nice stuff in that system. Do you think it was configured that way by the original owner, or had...
Back