• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by austfox

1. austfox

Another ebay horror story.

@cj7hawk Let me know if you want to try again. I have one that I haven't yet powered up, so no assurances it boots. Cosmetically is good to very good condition, and guaranteed to be packaged a lot better than what you have experienced (posted from Sydney). Steven.
  2. austfox

CD-Rom for use with Sams Teach Yourself Visual Basic 6 in 24 hours

I have also just received another VB 6 book: Que Using Visual Basic 6. This one included the CD and have since uploaded it to archive.org: Que Using Visual Basic 6 CD-Rom
  3. austfox

Thanks syzygy, much appreciated. Available on archive.org at: Sams Visual Basic 6 in 24 hours CD-Rom
  4. austfox

It consists of a 'Learning Edition' of Visual Basic 6, which apparently does not create exe files and excludes help files. It might also have some sample code and sample programs?
  5. austfox

I purchased a copy of Sams Visual Basic 6, but unfortunately the CD was not included. In terms of completeness, would anyone who owns this be able to make an iso of the disc? Thanks in advance.
  6. austfox

Amstrad PC1640 - Faulty Floppy Disk Controller or Disk Drive

Just thought I'd point you to a YouTube channel that has a few videos on the Amstrad PC range and talks about the video modes: PCRetroTech
  7. austfox

I believe Prince of Persia was the first game I ever purchased for my PC back in the late 80's. I dug out the disks to test on the PC1640. Disks were in immaculate condition because they have been stored in an airtight plastic tub for the last 30+ years! I thought I had a PC-MD monitor to test...
  8. austfox

And if you want to put together some sleeves and labels for those system disks, I've recreated them here: https://archive.org/details/floppy-disk-sleeve-amstrad_202205/Floppy%20Disk%20Sleeve%20-%20Amstrad/
  9. austfox

That's really good news, and a relatively simple fix. Modem7's knowledge astounds me! I notice your 1640 is running v3 bios (1987), and mine is v3.1 (1988). I have a couple of other 1640s, so will have to dig them out and have a look what they are running.
  10. austfox

Looks like something to do with the EGA ROM?
  11. austfox

Sorry, missed that eBay link above. They should be an ok replacement. I'm usually reluctant to purchase electronic components from eBay, but passives are usually ok.
  12. austfox

By transistor, I'm sure you meant to type resistor. I'd mount the resistor vertically with one leg in one of the existing fusible resistor holes, and mount the pico fuse vertically in the other existing hole, and join them together above the board. They don't need to be in any particular side...
  13. austfox

The 0.065V is the voltage drop across the resistor only, the IC is still seeing 5V (I measured it at the time at it was bang on 5.01V). The resistor is there to limit the current to the IC. If I was doing the repair, I'd order a 5.6 ohm resistor, a few pico fuses in both 100 mA and the next...
  14. austfox

During the boot process (up to 'insert system disk') I don't see the voltage across the resistor go over 0.065V (12 mA?).
  15. austfox

I get around 5.8 ohms in circuit. I had a look and they don't seem to be a common item. I would probably place a 5.6 ohm resistor in series with a pico fuse (100 mA?), maybe others could confirm?
Back