• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by BennehBoy

1. B

C64C fault diagnosis

No progress on this :( Might be a sixty clone candidate when I get time, but that said, is there a c64 equivalent of amiga pcb explorer anywhere?
  2. B

C64C fault diagnosis

I think there must be a broken trace or dry joint, if I flex the board then the system boots... These things are sent to test us
  3. B

C64C fault diagnosis

Desoldered CIA 2 on the hunch that it was killed by a hotplug, and the system started into basic at first power on post desolder. Cycled the power and it's back to that screen... scratches head.
  4. B

C64C fault diagnosis

BTW here's a link to the symptom as described by the pictorial fault finding guide -> https://www.pictorial64.com/fault.htm?id=u8_1
  5. B

C64C fault diagnosis

Same issue with diag test cartridge initially, but then some garbled cycles and eventually a cyan border and just white background. I can make out during the cycling that some of the screen patterns match what I'd expect from diags so some code is being executed at least. Exact same issue with...
  6. B

C64C fault diagnosis

I have a c64C which is showing a very similar fault to this: The pictorial fault guide suggested that this fault could be caused by a faulty 7406 (U8) or 2 other 74LS14s - because I have the parts & wishfully thinking these may be relabelled on the 64c I replaced U23 (74LS14) & U22 (7406) -...
  7. B

Commodore monitor 1084S-P and PHILIPS CM8833II

Great to see you got it working. I'd love a 1084 or a 1901, but they go for silly money here in the UK.
  8. B

Disks not reading after lubricating 1541 spindle hub

Always great when the frustration ends, well done.
  9. B

6520 & 6526

I guess it depends what you wish to use it in, they work just fine in 1541's. But yeah 6522 equiv, not 6526 as I wrote - braino moment.
  10. B

6520 & 6526

6526 is available as brand new part still -> https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/Western-Design-Center-WDC/W65C22N6TPG-14?qs=opBjA1TV901DbgJ9rfcBoQ%3D%3D&countrycode=GB&currencycode=GBP
  11. B

Commodore Plus/4 - Diagnosing problem

Are you able to update the firmware on the older pi1541?
  12. B

Excellent, glad you got it fixed.
  13. B

I'm by no means an expert but I think I'd be targeting UF3.
  14. B

You could work outward from UC1, there's a data in pin where a serial stream comes in from the read head, it's get's differentially amplified by the 2 592's and then more so by the 311. UC1 then essentially deserialises the data stream and pops it out 8 bits at a time to UC2. I'm not sure...
  15. B

1541 Mitsumi drive operating way too fast!

Got to be worth trying to replace the trimmer pot or the newtronics control board first - there are a lot of drives out there with dead heads so I would've thought it may not be too hard to obtain. I don't know the pot value I'm afraid. I had an alps with a very slower spindle motor, but it...
Back