• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by BetaCarotene

1. BetaCarotene

Questions About a Recently Acquired 5160

At some point in the next few days I can do some testing if you'd like. I do know that this situation doesn't happen with DOS 6.22 drives using FAT16, as that is what I use for my pentium machine. I am thinking it's something specific to DOS 3, and do have spare SD cards to work with to see if...
  2. BetaCarotene

Thanks for the update. It's certainly an interesting failure mode. Is there anything I can potentially do to help figure it out? The card is currently just sitting in my parts bin as I managed to snag an ATi VGA BASIC-16, which works out of the box with a 5160. the card uses the ATi 28800-5...
  3. BetaCarotene

Thanks for that, I wasn't expecting to get so good an answer. I will hold off on trying to figure out how I can get to fixing that specific issue for the time being, but eventually I can see if a reflow or even just a swap can fix the issue. I'm currently at the point of getting my system...
  4. BetaCarotene

I thought I would ask about the PSU fan just in case it was a known quantity. Since it probably isn't I'll just open it up and see what I'm working with in due time. I do know it's the PSU, though as the squeaking was present without the HDD hooked up. As for the Display Card it is indeed the...
  5. BetaCarotene

Thanks for the help. I don't have a way to write an EEPROM as far as I am aware, unless I could use something like an ISA networking card to do it. I have also tried reseating the ROMs to no avail. As for the PSU, it is below.
  6. BetaCarotene

As the title suggests, I recently gained a complete 5160 system, with Model F and 5151 monitor to round it out. I've even managed to get it to the point of booting off of the 10MB full height drive. That being said, it sounds rather unhappy when it is going, so I'm avoiding using it until I have...
  7. BetaCarotene

Struggles with an IBM Ultimedia M57

As it stands, I managed to get my system up and running by sheer luck, it seems. I tried using 42G0655.IMG this time, and for whatever reason, the Image was written to my floppy without the issues that had apparently been affecting it. I will eventually try to figure out how to get the system a...
  8. BetaCarotene

I will be uploading pictures of the various problems I am hitting in case it helps, but I can at least give the one that the CANARYF1 image gives me.
  9. BetaCarotene

Thanks for the response. I'll toss in some known good 30 Pin ram from my SE/30 to see if anything changes. As for thermals, I'm not sure if it's affecting anything, as the SLC3 processor upgrade card that my system came with has plenty of space to breathe, and the case is opened up for the sake...
  10. BetaCarotene

As the title says, I've been having some problems with getting my recently acquired IBM PS/2 M57 Ultimedia. I'm trying to restore the original OS2/DOS5/Win3 operating system, and I'm struggling to actually get the OS installed. I didn't get the original disks, and I am currently waiting on a...
  11. BetaCarotene

Yet Another Intro

The backwards compatibility was probably the reason for it when it comes to the IIGS, and might have also been part of the choice for using it in the Super Nintendo. With the IIGS, it can run just about anything that can run on later CMOS Apple IIs.
  12. BetaCarotene

Yet Another Intro

Since I've finally mustered up the courage to join the VCFed, might as well introduce myself. I'm technically a collector, though really I'm just more the kind of person who sees something old and wants to give it a god home. This, has, of course, led to me having just a few too many computers...
Back