• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by commodorejohn

1. C

MicroPython on IBM PC?

More than the compiler, I suspect the challenge would be adapting any large-scale C program written for a flat address space (particularly one that does in-depth memory management of its own) to a segmented model where any structure/heap of > 64 KB requires special handling just to access and...
  2. C

Website

AV suites are a protection racket, 'nuff said. Nice website ya got here, be a shame if something happened to it...
  3. C

Running Alpha NT programs on x86 Windows

Nifty. Wonder if that's how FX!32 worked...?
  4. C

Running Alpha NT programs on x86 Windows

Oh, very neat! I'm assuming this is essentially a CPU emulator core wrapped in a WINE-style system-call translation layer? (Of course, it wouldn't really require much "translation," but simply in terms of passing the call and response from the emulated environment to the host OS...)
  5. C

Harris Minicomputer

I like that Google's official house-brand know-nothing admits outright that you'd be better off asking around on forums.
  6. C

Just curious--anyone use any of the IA-k64/Itanium gear?

Sweet baby Jesus, I forget that the thing had 128 GPRs and FPRs apiece. Context-switches must've been insane.
  7. C

Asus eeePC 1000H on Intel Atom N270 ( i386 instruction set?): some questions

I still use a 904HA running Devuan ascii as a "portable typewriter." The 1000s weren't as rock-solid as the 700-900 as far as build quality (nobody but nobody has solved the laptop hinge problem like whoever designed the Eee 900 series,) but hey, as long as it works!
  8. C

Niklaus Wirth has passed

By reference, or by value...?
  9. C

Writing Assemblers... What should a good assembler do?

Ditto on this. It's one thing in C where any project of moderate complexity is gonna have to compile to intermediate object files and link separately anyway, but there's no excuse for an assembler not to include this capability.
  10. C

Is there a case to be made for the 386?

There's as much case to be made as there is for any outmoded computer we weirdo hobbyists get into ;)
  11. C

Merry Christmas

I never took to banana bread or fruitcake either, but I will say that a friend recently introduced me to panettone, which was very lovely indeed - not overly rich or sweet, just kind of a soft, chewy sweetbread with aromatic spices and citrus/raisins. That I can 100% get behind.
  12. C

Music

Hah, those old Yamaha toy keyboards are great.* My aunt and uncle had one when I was young; the demo tune made a big impression on me. Spent years trying to track it down, but they'd long since gotten rid of it and there were a million different ones to dig through. Finally identified it thanks...
  13. C

AI articles on vintage computers...

This, so very much.
  14. C

PDP-12 #435 at the University of Minnesota Duluth

*waves at the camera*
  15. C

CGA 160x100x16 bidirectional scrolling

Character/object sprites are bitmapped, so you'd still have to do some downscaling, but it'd simplify the backgrounds at least.
Back