• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by Ral-Clan

1. R

Repairing an original KIM-1 keyboard

Interesting. This keyboard looks awfully similar to the one in Commodore's 886D calculator. I wonder if the parts (pads, buttons) at least are interchangeable. https://www.lastdodo.com/en/items/1172579-commodore-886d...
  2. R

Doesn't anyone else want to BBS with their PET?

I'm responding to this thread because I was recently BBSing with my VIC-20 on Cottonwood BBS, when I read a post from a new user there who said he was online with his PET 3032! I was suprised, because as you can see by this thread, no one had figured out how to get online with a PET. The only...
  3. R

VIC-20 mystery and solution!

Today I went to log onto a BBS using my beloved VIC-20 and wifi modem in its user port. I booted up my terminal software and typed ADTS=1 but got no local echo on screen. Uh oh. Looked at the WiModem and its OLED screen was black. Double Uh oh. Dead WiModem or bad power lines on the user port...
  4. R

VIC-20 "Denial" forum down

Hi, It seems the "DENIAL" forum - probably the most recognized and popular forum for VIC-20 users - is down. I haven't been able to access it since the middle of last week. Does anyone have news on whether the forum is actually undergoing maintenance, has been hacked, is shut down, or whatever...
  5. R

datasette weirdness

Hi have a weird datasette problem. I have two C2N datasettes. These are the kind that are shaped like the original model came with the PET, NOT the later 1530 kind that wider with rounded corners and came with the VIC-20. One is the original black kind with no tape counter, the other is the...
  6. R

FT or FS: book Inside the IBM PC 1986 edition by Peter Norton.

Have for sale or trade a book: "Inside the IBM PC: Access to Advanced Features and Programming" by Peter Norton, 1986. Quite a thick book. In very good condition. The "Revised and Enlarged" edition. It's this edition: https://openlibrary.org/works/OL65480W/Inside_the_IBM_PC Interesting in...
  7. R

Sharp CE-122 printer and cassette interface

I have a Sharp CE-122 printer and cassette interface available for sale or trade. I believe this also works with the Sharp PC-1211 pocket computer and the Radio Shack TRS-80 PC-1 pocket computer, as they seem to be identical. It has a 9-pin (male) connector. It comes with the following: -...
  8. R

Noticed strange PET sound behaviour

Hi, I recently hooked up two datasettes to my 8032 PET with built in piezo speaker. I noticed when I load from Datasette 2 (load "",2) that games with built in sound often do not work right (i.e. Space Invaders). They play fine but there is no sound. Is this known behaviour? If loaded from...
  9. R

Why were there PET business AND graphics keyboards?

I don't understand why Commodore complicated things by making some PETs that had graphics keyboard and some that had business keyboards. I'm not including the original chiclet keyboard. I'm talking about the two different full-stroke keyboard used on the PET/CBM line. In some instances the same...
  10. R

Neat. Would be appreciated if you could do some sort of photo report here when you get it. Info on that sort of thing is scarce. From what I've been reading, the company might have supplied just the circuit board and the case was up to the user.
  11. R

I don't know about good, but there was this McTerm that used a modem connected to the user port via some sort of interface. http://mikenaberezny.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/mcterm-manual.pdf https://cbm8bit.com/8bit/commodore/disk-image/52944a8918e59227788874589a22b479 I also found a list of...
  12. R

I found this info online about some of those products:
  13. R

Well, that website is nice, but it's more of a hacker's blog about a project. There is no concise list of steps, parts, and clear schematic of what was done. You can infer if you are clever and experienced enough and stare at the photos, but not for us average tinkerers.
  14. R

I'm guessing that's a device that allows many PETs (i.e. in a school room) to use one storage device, printer or (maybe) modem. I am only guess, because I've seen devices like this before mentioned in magazines of the time (although I don't see an IEEE-488 interface port on that box, which was...
  15. R

Yes, it's surprising there weren't more modem solutions for the PET in the 1980s. One commercial modem sold at the time! I am frankly surprised, and wouldn't doubt if there were more people back then getting a PET online somehow through ways I have not yet stumbled across. I have read old...
Back