• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by RC14

1. R

Plus+ Hardcard20 Issues (IBM 5150)

Yesterday I turned my 5150 on for the first time in a while. Hardly unexpectedly, it gave a 1701 error that the Hardcard wasn't responding. After I disassembled the machine and dealt the Hardcard some "percussive maintenance," the computer booted properly. Yet today I turned the machine on...
  2. R

Plus Hardcard 20 error

Does anyone have a manual or know the causes of a Plus Hardcard 20 1701 error (IBM PC 5150)? Thank you!
  3. R

IBM 5150 troubleshooting

That's what it is - thank you! I also figured I'd attach some photos of the PSU. I think the capacitors are leaking, but it may just be some sort of glue. Also, R19 appears to be cut, but intentionally (maybe as a switch for input voltages). Again, I don't see any line suppression...
  4. R

Hey Everyone!

Hey everyone! I didn't grow up with these computers (I think my first was an IBM Thinkpad) but I've long harbored an interest in them. Earlier this year, I got my first vintage computer, a Macintosh Classic II that had been my dad's. That really sucked me in, and I quickly got a Tandy Pocket...
  5. R

IBM 5150 troubleshooting

I just picked up an IBM 5150 and it doesn't appear to power on (no "short beep" as described in the IBM Guide to Operations). How can I troubleshoot it? What should I look for when opening it up? I'm a novice to PC and PC Compatibles having stuck to Apple, so sorry about any dumb questions!
  6. R

IBM 5150 troubleshooting

I just picked up an IBM 5150, but it doesn't appear to power on (no "short beep" as described in the IBM Guide to Operations). How can I troubleshoot it? What should I be looking for? I'm an absolute novice to PC and PC compatibles having stuck to Apple so far, so sorry about any dumb questions!
Back