• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

8 bit IDE (XTA) Replacement Project

Hello,

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, it took me quite some time to get a working Schneider europc 1 so i could test this device.
I can say it just works! I have it connected to the original cable from the HD20.
hello,
can yoy describe me ste steps you did,
  • what image you wrote in the card (20mb,30mb,40mb)
  • how was your lowlevel.hex
  • and what you did with fdisk (how many mb)

Thanks

Fantastic project, I'm not saying XT-IDE is wrong but being able to plug this directly into the hard disk cable seems better

Is there a waiting list to buy these yet?

hello,
can yoy describe me ste steps you did,
  • what image you wrote in the card (20mb,30mb,40mb)
  • how was your lowlevel.hex
  • and what you did with fdisk (how many mb)

Thanks
Hello, i just used the SD card that came with the device. Backed up and not much more. Fdisk and other low level tools other than format won't work.
I haven't got around to changing the hex file to have 2x 40mb disks but when i do, i'll share the process if it helps.

cheers,
Paulo

The latest development, the PS2XT2SDminiPi. And it works. A solid state drive with 112 MB ( type 9 ) for the IBM PS/2 25 or 30 or PS/1 with XT connector.
This version has a Raspberrry Pi Pico instead of the teensy 4.1, which does reduce cost, but also speed .
Reading speed is 1/5 of the teensy 4.1 version, but that is as expexted. The real good feeling of an old slow HDD.
Hi,

Nice you are going to the Pi Pico now.
You say the Read Speed on the Pico is slower, but I never saw any disk speed value in this thread.
Is DMA Implemented ? what is the time for each I/O and the Read/Write you achieve on the SD ?

DiskTest by James Pearce with the latest PS2XT2SD versions does show the following results.

Pi: Reed 76 kB/s teensy: Reed 220 kB/s
Pi: Write 126 kB/s teensy: Write 260 kB/s

with both DMA for Read and Write (PS/2 - PS2XT2SD).

DiskTest by James Pearce with the latest PS2XT2SD versions does show the following results.

Pi: Reed 76 kB/s teensy: Reed 220 kB/s
Pi: Write 126 kB/s teensy: Write 260 kB/s

with both DMA for Read and Write (PS/2 - PS2XT2SD).
It is not a Pico Problem, the uSD can be read at 3Mb/s in SPI and there is no problem to do the bus interface with no wait state.
My The PicoMEM can do more than 1Mb/s on the ISA bus.

Oh I see, so this device will be nominally slower for sustained trasnfers but faster for random access. I expect it'll not feel any slower

Mine has arrived and it works great. The hot swapping of images is a nice bonus I wasn't expecting and means I won't run out of space.

All I'm waiting on now is a yellow led and I'll be able to slide it into the retention tray holder thing as a complete replacement that sticks as close to the original as possible.

Thanks Peter!
1000018055.jpg

For a bit more info on what Freddy is saying we think that using DMA stops this device working along side a PicoMEM where the PicoMEM is emulating conventional memory

Hi,

Is there a way to disable DMA and use PIO for the PS2XT2SD ?
I could change the SPI speed, so the transfer rate is now 150 kB/s for writing, 220 kB/s for reading for the Pi Pico version, not far away from the Teensy versions speed, which are 220 and 260.

I need an assumption check.

So I have a XTA2SD board - which has a 40 pin connector on it.
My Tandy 1110HD has a 44 pin connector.

I purchased a 44 to 40 pin cable that does nothing more than connect pin 1 to pin 1, pin 2 to pin 2, etc. plus gives me a MOLEX connector for power (pins 43 and 44 on the 44 pin side).

My assumption was that this cable should work. Pin 1 on the 44 pin side should be connected to Pin 1 on the 40 pin side.

Is this assumption correct?

I need an assumption check.

So I have a XTA2SD board - which has a 40 pin connector on it.
My Tandy 1110HD has a 44 pin connector.

I purchased a 44 to 40 pin cable that does nothing more than connect pin 1 to pin 1, pin 2 to pin 2, etc. plus gives me a MOLEX connector for power (pins 43 and 44 on the 44 pin side).

My assumption was that this cable should work. Pin 1 on the 44 pin side should be connected to Pin 1 on the 40 pin side.

Is this assumption correct?
attached picture does show the connections

1704623622317.png

I could change the SPI speed, so the transfer rate is now 150 kB/s for writing, 220 kB/s for reading for the Pi Pico version, not far away from the Teensy versions speed, which are 220 and 260.
Nice :)

So, will you move to a Pi Pico version ?

I asked if the DMA can be disabled because if we want to have your disk working with the PicoMEM emulated RAM it does not boot, the PicoMEM RAM Does not support DMA.

Back