• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

8 bit IDE (XTA) Replacement Project

Hi,

Was the version based on the Pi Pico canceled ?

I see the teensy design seems to be much more compex that what we need for a Pico.

I am able to emulate RAM, EMS, multiple disk on a CF with my PicoMEM. (ISA Pi Pico board)

Probably the pico designer for the xta to SD card has give up.

Can you show some more details of your PicoMEM ?
Hi,

There is a subject on it in this forum, but not a lot of interrest on it so far.

if I understood well, your board emulate a standard XTA disk, so that the PC can boot on it without BIOS modification.
Anyway, with a BIOS update or a DOS driver, it can surely do Floppy and multiple disk emulation. (And bigger disk)

What is the structure of the SDCard ? .IMG files or direct disk data ?

The XTA2SD Board does replace a XTA HDD and has the same fuction. Just as plug and play w/o any modification to the BIOS.
The sectors are stored as files on the SD-Card, that was the easiest way to design. That has the restriction, that data exchange with the SD-Card has to be done
with a FDD or a xt-ide card, like with the good old HDD.
The card can handle 2 HDD with the CHS parameters of the old BIOS, so normally up to 2 x 40 MB. With a BIOS update ( change CHS parameters ) it can go up
to 2 x 500 MB. Some BIOS as the Tandy 1000 one do only handle 1 HDD.

The sectors are stored as files on the SD-Card, that was the easiest way to design. That has the restriction, that data exchange with the SD-Card has to be done
with a FDD or a xt-ide card, like with the good old HDD.
One file per sector ? This is strange a single .IMG file is more simple

hello guys, has anyone make it work with euro pc 2 and external drive, i have problem to make it work and i need some help

Welcome to the forum @jimy79 !

The EuroPC is a bit of an oddity, design-wise, so I'm not sure if the EuroPC 2 is similar.

- Alex
Thank you Alex, but the youtube video is on euro pc 2, i also tried it with an euro pc 1 and an euro xt with no success.
@pauloalb did you get an xta2sd, did you manage to get it work;

I'd purchased an additional XTA2SD board late last year, but only just recently got it installed in a Tandy 1000 RL. "dr.zeissler" has been using an XTA2SD in his RL for a while now, and I'm happy to report similar success with my own system.

One "gotcha" specific to usage in the Tandy 1000 RL is that the system needs to be configured with at least one I/O cycle wait-state. The RL is factory-set to produce three I/O cycle wait-states, so unless that's been manually changed, there's no action necessary.

I have a very few plug and play PS2XT2SD cards included SD-Card for IBM PS/2 PS/1 to give away for 75 € plus shipping.

This card adapted a HDD and has the same function, any of the HDD type of the IBM BIOS can be chosen. Maximum is type 09 with 112 MB.

The image is stored in a file system on the SD-Card, data exchange has to be done with floppy or XT-IDE card.

Oh no! I totally missed this post last year! Are you still making these as I have a PS/1 2011 and a PS/2 Model 30 that could do with these as replacements for the dead hard drives. Thanks!

I’ve received my PS2XT2SD and installed in my PS/1 2011 that came with a type 35 WDL-330P, which still works well.

Did you get this card working perfectly with your PS/1 2011 as I need to do the same as my 2011 has a dead drive.

Another IDE-XT (XTA) interface card spotted on eBay, the "XB-120 XT-Bus w/ Super FDC" from 1991. It's bundled with a Seagate ST-325X drive. But I'm not sure if the floppy controller is actually functional, since it seems to be missing the controller chip, and if "Super" implies that it supports high-density drives, then it would need a ROM for that too, unless it and the XTA ROM code are combined onto one chip?

xtbus1.jpg

xtbus2.jpg

I suspect that it's a standard XT-type DD floppy controller, given the 4MHz crystal. In addition to the FDC, it looks as if you'd need a PAL with the address decoding logic--in addition to all of the other missing components.

The latest Version of the XTA2SD card for the Schneider euro PC I and II. Does replace the HD20 and can be directly connected to the euro PC to the HD20 connector.
No extra power supply needed, power supply is taken through the XTA bus, w/o doing any hardware changes in the euro PC.
The XTA2SD card does emulate 2 hard disk drives C: and D: .

1681469366330.png1681469410966.png

I'd purchased an additional XTA2SD board late last year, but only just recently got it installed in a Tandy 1000 RL.
Purchased from whom? Searching for XTA2SD just circles back to this thread.

I know the market for it would be much more limited than the XT-IDE and XT-CF, but Lo-Tech is making and selling XT-CF adapters for the Tandy 1400 laptop, and I'd imagine there are even fewer of those than all the machines with 8-bit IDE interfaces.

I too have been trying to find out how to buy two of these, either completed or PCB with no luck.
Seeing the above post I tried to DM CallinEllis but I can't without posting 10 times?! I can't find an email address either.
I'm not going to spam 9 times to get this done, so how???

I too have been trying to find out how to buy two of these, either completed or PCB with no luck.
Seeing the above post I tried to DM CallinEllis but I can't without posting 10 times?! I can't find an email address either.
I'm not going to spam 9 times to get this done, so how???
you can email me, look at the picture above...

Back