• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

8 bit IDE (XTA) Replacement Project

Thank you Alex, but the youtube video is on euro pc 2, i also tried it with an euro pc 1 and an euro xt with no success.
@pauloalb did you get an xta2sd, did you manage to get it work;
Hello,

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, it took me quite some time to get a working Schneider europc 1 so i could test this device.
I can say it just works! I have it connected to the original cable from the HD20.

Attachments

• IMG_6704.jpg
    IMG_6704.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 37
The newest version of the PS2XT2SD card with 1,7 GB capacity. I have deleted the last video and make a new one w/o volkov commander.

This is excellent work. Any idea when the ps2xt2sd would be available for sale? I have stumbled onto this project while researching for my own implementation of this in particular for ps/2 model 30 (xt not 286), if your solution or a prototype of it would be available soon I will forego spending any more time on this.

@CallinElvis Has anyone tried these in an 1100Hd or 1000TL/2 yet? Would love to buy a couple from you if so to get them going in those systems.

Just chime in to say you guys are AMAZING. Can't wait to put my hands on this beauty.
Whats the plans? Which features will the final version will have?
Price? Will it be sold as a kit or pre assembled?
Are the components all off the shelf parts?

I was able to get my hands on one of these, and it is an absolute game changer for my IBM Model 30 8086!

A few are available for sale, I allways sell them soldered and tested, as plug and play. Too many things can go wrong. Please sent an email to pw(at)basset24.de.

Hello everyone,

So as i now have working euro pc and broken HD20, i purchased an st351a/x and successfully low level formatted it with the WD bios tool and then formated it in DOS to 40mb. So now i have an unofficial Schneider HD40 !
As i also have @CallinElvis 's xta2sd v1.1 and it gives me two 20mb disks, disk c and d, i was wondering if its not possible to create an image of my st351 and duplicate it so i can have two 40mb disks using the xta2sd ?
Is there a tool or a way to do this, i mean create the SD card files based on the real disk ?

@pauloalb

Yes, there is a way, but I have the 40 MB files already available.

Please look at your SD-Card, there should be lowlevelfiles for 2 x 40 MB. If not, I will sent you an e-mail.

If you want to have more MB, it is also possible, with just changing some bytes of the Schneider BIOS. These are the changes for a 112 MB drive for the Schneider BIOS.

1691516467062.png

Got mine yesterday and it works great! Played with it off and on for a few hours.

@pauloalb

Yes, there is a way, but I have the 40 MB files already available.

Please look at your SD-Card, there should be lowlevelfiles for 2 x 40 MB. If not, I will sent you an e-mail.

If you want to have more MB, it is also possible, with just changing some bytes of the Schneider BIOS. These are the changes for a 112 MB drive for the Schneider BIOS.

View attachment 1262104
Thanks @CallinElvis i'll try it out this weekend. If you have any of those new ones that just plug into the schneider's back, i'll be happy to have one! Cheers.

I put the Seagate ST05X XTA card
Could you share the firmware from ST05X?
I'm trying to run ST351A/X in XT mode.
The VTI-XTB firmware causes MS-DOS 6.22 to freeze during the boot phase, and the sIDE-1 3.1 firmware is very buggy.
(386DX-40, Prime2@8-bit/320h/IRQ5/DMA3)

The Seagate BIOS use DMA for transferring sector data but not IRQ.
I found the firmware from ST05X in further messages, thanks!
This is the best option, the disk passes the seek test, it can be formatted in ADM or HDTest, but FDISK still gives the error "Error reading fixed disk" and the built-in format also gives an error.
Maybe I connected DMA incorrectly?

lbrjdweuaaype0vsocthtedwbr4.jpeg

jtohof7rcba9riug-olgrsb0eou.jpeg

ugptselrkbx4l6ww-b0734z28u0.jpeg

The latest development, the PS2XT2SDminiPi. And it works. A solid state drive with 112 MB ( type 9 ) for the IBM PS/2 25 or 30 or PS/1 with XT connector.
This version has a Raspberrry Pi Pico instead of the teensy 4.1, which does reduce cost, but also speed .
Reading speed is 1/5 of the teensy 4.1 version, but that is as expexted. The real good feeling of an old slow HDD.

Can be put directly in the XT connector of the IBM PS/2 main board.

1695724312678.png

Back