• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Trying to reinstall OS X 10.3 on an eMac G4

TH2002

Experienced Member
(Wasn't sure which board to post this in, mods feel free to move this thread if necessary)

Anyhow, picked up an eMac w/ a G4 processor from the thrift store a while back, and just getting around to wiping and reinstalling OS X.

Wiping the hard drive went fine. I grabbed a copy of OS X 10.3 from WinWorld and burned the ISO's directly using CDBurnerXP. I have no problems booting into the installer using the first disk, but naturally, as old computers do it has other plans in mind...

When the time comes to copy the installation files, I sometimes get an error right away. One time I got as far as copying 900MB of data to the HDD, before I got the message "There were errors installing the software" and prompting me to restart, stuck in a loop of booting into the installer and it crashing when I try to copy the files.

What is most likely the problem here?

Huh, my latest attempt to install OS X finished without errors... until I clicked "Restart" and am now greeted with kernel panics with every HDD boot:
KIMG0102.JPG

Booted back into the OS X install CD and checked the disk permissions and health. Both are fine according to Disk Utility. Could my problem be a faulty/corrupted install disk perhaps? Or maybe this specific processor requires a 'specialized' install disk?

I'm really at a loss here...

Have tried several eMac labeled CD and DVD ISO's with mixed results, but none have worked. All of them have either crashed during install with the same 'There were errors installing the software' message, booted to a kernel panic, or simply refused to boot at all. Beyond frustrated at this point and to be honest, willing to just bite the bullet and buy some used Apple disks from eBay.

There is a listing for some 10.3.2 install CD's for around 20 bucks, but I want to know if those are compatible with this specific eMac? It's a 1 GHz/USB 1.1/Combo Drive model. If not, which disks do I need?

What system was installed before you wiped it?

Different versions of OS X can be very picky about RAM and HDD. I had several occurrences of OS X not wanting to correctly work with RAM and/or a HDD that worked fine with an older version, so I had to replace it to make it work. Got exactly the same: either the install did not finish or it would panic on boot.

Apart from that: note that the 3rd revision of the eMac needs 10.4 Tiger. Seeing the first line on the "panic" screen, that could very well just be your issue, too.

What system was installed before you wiped it?

Different versions of OS X can be very picky about RAM and HDD. I had several occurrences of OS X not wanting to correctly work with RAM and/or a HDD that worked fine with an older version, so I had to replace it to make it work. Got exactly the same: either the install did not finish or it would panic on boot.

Apart from that: note that the 3rd revision of the eMac needs 10.4 Tiger. Seeing the first line on the "panic" screen, that could very well just be your issue, too.
The system originally had OS X 10.3.9 on it.

The only one I got to "successfully" install (as in, without any errors during the installation itself) is the 10.3.0 retail release. Also tried an "eMac Software Install and Restore" disk that says 10.3 on it, didn't work. Also tried an eMac OS X 10.2.4 install (CD version), but no luck either - I believe that was the one that didn't boot at all, so maybe something happened when burning or with the ISO itself?

Was told on the Macintosh Repository to use the 10.2.4 DVD version, but of course I am now out of blank DVD's...

edit. There are still some on the Internet Archive that I haven't tried. Guess I'll have to do more experimenting when I get home.

It's important that you get the Recovery Discs for the exact revision of your eMac. Can't help you selecting the right one from the discs on archive.org, as I have no idea what revision your eMac is. But there were three.

In a previous life I used to be the sucker at my company stuck with putting together the "standard image" for the Mac laptops we issued to engineers. It's been 20 years, but here's my short summary of how OS X compatibility between models works:

1. When Apple releases a new "retail" version it'll support whatever machines are in the wild at the time of its introduction. IE, if you had a retail 10.3 CD/DVD set it's going to be useless for any new model that came out after the day the disks were stamped even if the machine shipped with the "same" point release on it; some point versions of OS X were pretty long-lived, and if Apple introduced a new model in that time it'd have a "silently patched" version on it that didn't change the version number.
  2. Some early restore disks will happily install on any Mac, IE, you can take the disk that came with a new Mac and use it to install on your old Mac... with limits. (The "limits" being that while the OS installer itself would work "extra" software like any games or iMovie/iDVD/whatever would do a hardware version check when you ran the installer for them.) Later ones have a hardware check in the OS installer and refuse to install the OS unless hacked. (This latter situation kicked in sometime around the 10.3 era, I think, but I can't recall exactly when.)
  3. Regardless of whether there was an artificial block or not the OS itself shipping on a brand new Power Mac was usually just fine running on an old one if you use something like Carbon Copy Cloner (or the built-in disk imagine/blessing stuff) to copy a working install to an older Mac. IE, from what I can tell even the "machine specific" versions of OS X all involved "additive" changes; nothing was changed that prevents the OS from working on an older machine. (The one proviso there is that very late machines that only supported "classic" vs. being able to boot directly into OS 9 came with a brain-damaged version of OS 9.2 that will boot stand-alone on old machines but is missing pieces and is kind of broken.)
  4. The reverse also seemed to be *mostly* true, in the sense that if you had a version of OS X that predated a new machine but updated it to a point release newer than what was on the restore disks that came with that machine it would *probably* be okay if you imaged a fully updated OS install onto the newer Mac. I'm throwing the "mostly* in there because there may have been a couple exceptions I don't remember, especially involving G5s.
Based on these rules it was my SOP when a new PowerBook revision came out I would simply take one, install the additional software/preloads that we wanted in our standard image, and make an image of that new machine to be the new "golden image" used to redo *any* Powerbook that needed to be set up, whether it was more of the new model or leftovers/redo-s of older Powerbooks. It always worked fine; getting a working version of OS X onto your Mac shouldn't be rocket science.

Anyway, here's my probably flawed take on your eMac:

EveryMac says the 1ghz "PowerMac 4,4" eMac shipped with OS X 10.2.4. That is *well* before the retail release of 10.3, so I'd be pretty surprised you'd have problems running any version of 10.3, whether it's a retail disk or a mismatched restore disk that doesn't have a locked installer. If you *were* trying to install off a locked installer you should be getting a message to that effect at the beginning, not randomly bombing out halfway through. That error message you got after the fact about not being able to find the platform driver is especially baffling: OS X installers will yell at you if they don't like your platform *before* installing.

What I think is going on is you have either bad RAM or a bad hard disk, and your installation attempts are getting corrupted. But that's just a guess.

Last edited:
I'm starting to think my problem this entire time has been a bunch of faulty install disks.

All this time I've been using CDBurnerXP to burn the ISO's, but since I downloaded one from the Internet Archive that was in BIN-CUE format, I had to use ImgBurn. Aaaand what do you know, I get a crap-ton of "miscompare" errors on my first attempt. I try the disk anyway, and it unsurprisingly fails to boot. Tried burning again with the same image file but a different CD-R, and got far fewer errors by comparison. Booted to the installer just fine (and took far less time to do so than all the other CD's and DVD's I've burned thus far), no error messages during the install and... SUCCESS! Wish me luck in trying to burn a usable copy of Disk 2.

For anyone else who may be having trouble and comes across this thread, this is the main installation disk that worked for my 1 GHz eMac: https://archive.org/details/2Z691-4314-A

Retail OSX versions tend to work well as long as they are later then the system was released.

The original 700Mhz eMac was released with OEM OSX 10.1.4 so any retail 10.2.x or later should install (not that OSX 10.2 is that useful).

I tend to use OSX 10.4 on a G4 and 10.5 on a G5 and 10.3 on high end G3's (low end G3's are better off with OS 9.1).

As far as burning CDs I find ImgBurn is better than CDburnerXP these days. Any images made using toast on the mac can be renamed *.ISO and burned.

Yeah, the copy of OS X 10.2 that successfully installed was burned with ImgBurn.

Currently at 10.2.8, because trying to boot a 10.3 retail install CD (a new copy that burned without any error messages in ImgBurn!) gave me another kernel panic.

So, I guess I'll make do with 10.2.8 for now. Quite frankly don't want to mess with this for at least another few days...

But one annoying thing is that I can't get Marble Blast Gold to work! The 1.5.0 PPC release on Macintosh Repository and the commonly-found 1.6 DMG don't work (the PPC version does nothing when trying to launch, and the more recent version loads, but has no audio and crashes when you try to play). I looked up a thread on another website where I found a mention that Marble Blast Gold 1.5.2 came with OS X 10.2, but I can't find that specific release. Does anyone know where I can find it?

You could try to find the correct version of the "Apple Service Diagnostic" for that model. It will be able to test the RAM, and other hardware.

I'm pretty convinced the HDD isn't the issue since all is well according to Disk Utility. How do I go about testing the RAM on these older Macs?
It's just PC133 so you can test it in any PC that memory fits in (no idea how easy it is to get to the RAM since I don't own an emac).

TechtoolsPro can test RAM

Decided to ignore my own advice and NOT take a few day break from this. Anyhow, no issues with the RAM.

Burned another copy of the OS X 10.3 Install Disk 1 using an identical noname CD-R as the kernel panic one, and, what do you know? Kernel panic!

Tried again with a Memorex CD-RW I had lying around... and it went perfectly fine!

I guess the lesson here is to use good quality CD's when burning ISO images (Staples and Memorex in my case) instead of those cheapo noname ones...

Kernal Panics could also be from bad RAM or other hardware failure.

Or bad capacitors. Macs in that era weren't free of the capacitor plague.

I have one of the rare 1.42 GHz eMac models, I need to open it up one of these days and see how bad it is inside.

Back