• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Trying to reinstall OS X 10.3 on an eMac G4

Burned another copy of the OS X 10.3 Install Disk 1 using an identical noname CD-R as the kernel panic one, and, what do you know? Kernel panic!

Tried again with a Memorex CD-RW I had lying around... and it went perfectly fine!
Be careful, that might very well be a red herring. If you have e.g. occasional RAM errors, it can be completely random if it panics or nor. The first burnt disc may have worked at a second or third boot as well.

It is certainly very unlikely for a CD-RW to work when a CD-R does not. Also, if the disc was burnt with no errors, it will either work in the target machine or not. I don't see how it would only work to some extent and give you a kernel panic instead of a read error. Does not make sense to me.

If you can, run the Apple hardware diagnostic disc for that model. Should be on archive.org as well.

This seems like a bad RAM situation to me. The first thing to try with random weird failures like this is to clean the RAM. Take it out, use a pencil eraser to slightly sand down the contacts (do NOT blow away the crumbs with your breath, use a brush or canned air), and then re-insert them firmly.

FWIW, I pulled the RAM out and tested it in a PC with Memtest86. No errors. But I'll report back what the Apple diagnostics say.
It's not about the RAM chips being bad, it's about the contacts of the DIMM being just a little bit flaky. You have to at least try cleaning the contacts, and reinserting it firmly.

Do you have another working PowerPC Mac of roughly similar vintage? (IE, early 'aughts G3 or G4 that has Firewire integrated on the motherboard that will run a version of OS X apropos for the eMac?) A simple way to put this question to rest whether this is a problem with CD blanks (or your CD drive) verses a bigger problem would be to clone the OS from a working Mac onto this eMac and see if it behaves. (Or also randomly kernel panics at boot time, etc.)

Back