• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Keyboards really are terrible today, I think.

Chuck(G)

25k Member
Yesterday, I dropped off a few Fedex packages at the local OfficeMax (more convenient than taking them to the Fedex Store and I can also grocery shop in the same mall). You know, OfficeMax, the place that sells $150 chair mats and $30 plastic milk crates. I went down the "keyboard" aisle and tried a few. Ye gods, they were all terrible; they felt cheap, with short key travel and little tactile feedback. I guess that I've been spoiled all these years with my Model Ms on just about every system (but for a couple of older Keytronic/Honewell keyboards).

Who today makes reasonably-priced keyboards that feel like real keyboards?

I have purchased the Microsoft keyboards when they come on sale. It is a decent enough keyboard for me and discounted to $20 I don't mind the need to replace every 10 years or so.

Yesterday, I dropped off a few Fedex packages at the local OfficeMax (more convenient than taking them to the Fedex Store and I can also grocery shop in the same mall). You know, OfficeMax, the place that sells $150 chair mats and $30 plastic milk crates. I went down the "keyboard" aisle and tried a few. Ye gods, they were all terrible; they felt cheap, with short key travel and little tactile feedback. I guess that I've been spoiled all these years with my Model Ms on just about every system (but for a couple of older Keytronic/Honewell keyboards).

Who today makes reasonably-priced keyboards that feel like real keyboards?
I think the only people making clicky keyboards are Unicomp.

but I assume you think $100 or more isn't reasonable. I like the keyboards on my IBM T-series laptops, but the travel is short...

Well, keyboard preference may be about the most subjective topic ever, but I've found one that I'm satisfied with. I was looking for a decent keyboard for my Macbook Pro that gets used as a desktop when docked at home and wanted a minimalist keyboard that didn't suck. After a few options, I settled on the Logi MX Keys Mini. I don't generally like wireless keyboards, but this has a USB cable connection for charging and can connect to three Bluetooth devices. It has a nice heft to it so it won't slide around. For being a minimal, slim keyboard, the key travel is better than I expected. Not Model M travel but pretty good and decent tactile feedback.

At $99 it may push the boundaries of affordability, but finding something decent for less may be a challenge.

So, it may or may not be your thing if a Model M replacement is the metric, but I've been happy enough with it.

I think the only people making clicky keyboards are Unicomp.

but I assume you think $100 or more isn't reasonable. I like the keyboards on my IBM T-series laptops, but the travel is short...
I've read reports that the Unicomp keyboards are a pale imitation of the Model M. Feel is different; weight is lighter, etc. Maybe a keyboard with the Alps switches would be okay... Money within reason (<$250) is not a barrier as it's a tool for business.

I've read reports that the Unicomp keyboards are a pale imitation of the Model M. Feel is different; weight is lighter, etc. Maybe a keyboard with the Alps switches would be okay... Money within reason (<$250) is not a barrier as it's a tool for business.
Yes, IMHO, current modern Unicomp is not as good as the mid-'80s Model Ms that I've been using for decades.

esr says that that unicomp fixed some of the reported quality issues in 2020 retooling. So maybe it's OK? I don't know if I will ever try them though, as I have a box of decent keyboards in reserve for the apocalypse.

However, there is someone trying to do full reproduction of the Model F key design with standard layout, currently in preorder, if someone is looking for top quality for $400. If you don't mind the extra noise it might bring.

esr says that that unicomp fixed some of the reported quality issues in 2020 retooling. So maybe it's OK? I don't know if I will ever try them though, as I have a box of decent keyboards in reserve for the apocalypse.

However, there is someone trying to do full reproduction of the Model F key design with standard layout, currently in preorder, if someone is looking for top quality for $400. If you don't mind the extra noise it might bring.
The model F layout has never been improved on, as far as I'm concerned. It irks me to this day having to remap Caps Lock to Control.

There are lots of companies making mechanical keyboards, but you won't find them at OfficeMax. I would put Leopold near the top for build quality. iKBC is also pretty good and less expensive.

Before I started using Model Ms exclusively (or nearly so), I used NCR GmbH keyboards with function keys alongside the main keywork, as in an XT keyboard, and with F11-F30 above the keywork. Alps switches. I don't see these on Deskauthority.

Not a bad feel, but gave them up once the need for a "real PS/2 style F11/F12" were required. Still have them.

There are lots of companies making mechanical keyboards, but you won't find them at OfficeMax. I would put Leopold near the top for build quality. iKBC is also pretty good and less expensive.
All are shrunken profiles--where the heck do you put your pencil? I imagine that you'd have to fill the case with lead shot to give it sufficient mass.

All are shrunken profiles--where the heck do you put your pencil? I imagine that you'd have to fill the case with lead shot to give it sufficient mass.
Both Leopold and iKBC have metal plates inside and have a decent heft. They are about the same size as IBM PS/1 keyboards.

Well, what the heck, if people have taken to typing their messages on the keypad of a cell phone, ergonomics can't be that important. I find that typing on a tablet is pretty awful too.

For modern machines, if it doesn't have a trackpoint, it doesn't really matter how good the keys are, does it? Hell, you might just as well switch your manager from point-to-focus to click-to-focus, and worry more about the feel of your mouse button.

Well, what the heck, if people have taken to typing their messages on the keypad of a cell phone, ergonomics can't be that important. I find that typing on a tablet is pretty awful too.
If you want a Model M, you'll only be satisfied with a Model M. The Cherry G80 has a big honkin' case, but it's super light and feels like cheap garbage. Do not recommend.

For modern machines, if it doesn't have a trackpoint, it doesn't really matter how good the keys are, does it? Hell, you might just as well switch your manager from point-to-focus to click-to-focus, and worry more about the feel of your mouse button.
Trackpoint? Wuzzat?

I've read reports that the Unicomp keyboards are a pale imitation of the Model M
I'm typing on a Unicomp right now and none of those things are true in my case. Though I did buy it a long time ago, so quality may have degraded.

The only 2 things that are different between this one and the model M in the other room is that the sound is different and, weirdly, keyboard plaque is horrible. I don't have this problem on the M's but this keyboard looks like it came out of a mud bog.

One of the things I did notice is that USB keyboards act a little differently than mini-DIN keyboards in the case where multiple keys are pressed at the same time. The Mini-DIN's don't register the additional keys where the USB ones do. This probably isn't important except on a few applications, but I happen to have one of those applications (linuxCNC). So in that case I use modern keyboards.

I’ve got two unicomps. One is the old school “big” one in white and the other is their new model M in black. It’s a little smaller.

Pencil goes in the normal place:

IMG_5280.jpeg

I guess never underestimate the value of having a place to rest or prop up things like the original keyboards did. Perhaps it's time to bring back Function-key templates. I think I still have one.

Back